Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Anne Boleyn Experience

The Anne Boleyn Files
Scribbler

Post by The Anne Boleyn Files » Sun July 26th, 2009, 6:50 pm

I'm planning on taking lots of photos and doing some videoing of talks too. Will definitely give the "lowdown" afterwards.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sun July 26th, 2009, 7:02 pm

You're brave for trying something like this in this econmy, I wish you lots of luck! I wish I could go, even though I'm a Jane Grey girl and not Anne.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

The Anne Boleyn Files
Scribbler

Post by The Anne Boleyn Files » Sun July 26th, 2009, 7:09 pm

Well, sometimes you have to step out in faith!! I've been asked so many times about Anne Boleyn tours that I figured I'd design my own. I did worry about the economy but I only launched the tour on Thursday and I've already had a fair few bookings.

Lady Jane Grey is an interesting character too, another tragic end. I'll check out your link for Internet museum, sounds interesting - thanks.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon July 27th, 2009, 2:11 am

It's an interesting idea, but the price (even for Hever and speakers) strikes me as wildly expensive. (And I'm in London twice a year, so I'm familiar with prices...) Still, ABF, hopefully you will find enough addicts to make it work!

For anyone who can't deal with that price, remember that fares come down a lot in September, which is a great time to travel to London. this is a great place to look for a B&B that is affordable and not one of those grotty hotels in Paddington or Pimlico. (I've paid about $150 a night here, which is good for London, and especially so for the caliber & location.) If you rent a car, Hever is a great day-trip to make. Do it in the summer, when you can appreciate the gardens. We went a lot when I was young & my mother was into brass-rubbing, because the church has some very wonderful old brasses. You can also combine it with a trip to Penshurst Place. Hampton Court is also a simple day-trip. You wouldn't get the private tours or speakers, but the rest of it would be straightforward to do solo.

The Anne Boleyn Files
Scribbler

Post by The Anne Boleyn Files » Mon July 27th, 2009, 7:07 am

I realise it sounds expensive but I'm hoping to break even LOL! We're not paying for just bed and breakfast, we're paying for exclusive use of Hever's facilities (no other guests), their conferencing facilities, lunches, 3 course dinners, guides, speakers, coach hire, all entrance fees etc. and believe me it does add up and I'm not taking anyone for a ride.

This tour definitely isn't a "see Anne Boleyn places on a budget", and people can do that by staying at a cheapo hotel and organising stuff themselves - it is staying in Anne's family home with a small group of other people and learning more about our heroine.

All those who've already booked are really excited and so am I, just need to patiently wait nearly 10 months now and patience is not my virtue!! ;)

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sun August 2nd, 2009, 1:02 pm

I admit for three days it does seems high but if I had the funds and fewer responsibilites I would be the first to sign up, just to say I was there and experienced it since no one knows when they'll ever get a chance to do it again. The economy is bad yes and funds are tight, I've got alot of med bills for husbands surgery and I'm trying to go back to school but in a few years I wouldn't bat an eye to pay this for us to enjoy a one of a kind trip together.

Return to “Tudor/Renaissance”