Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Kathryn In the Court of Six Queens by Anne Merton Abbey

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Sun April 3rd, 2011, 5:02 pm

Just finished this and gave it 5/5. It was long but so worth it. Enjoyed it immensely!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri November 11th, 2011, 3:49 am

Couple of copies going for a penny plus S&H.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Fri November 11th, 2011, 1:10 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Couple of copies going for a penny plus S&H.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up, Misfit! I got the last one just now :)
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat February 11th, 2012, 5:17 pm

I must have a short in my brain as I bought this book almost two years ago, thanks Misfit for the ebay heads up, and still have not had the pleasure of reading it. *Note to self read soon*

Come to think on it I have a never ending TBR mountain the I may never reach the top in my lifetime as I tend to buy three books to the one currently being read at the time. lol, yes I can say I might have a problem.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu July 5th, 2012, 3:22 am

For those who have enjoyed Kathryn: In the Court of Six Queens, I've discovered Anne Merton Abbey is a pen name for Jean Brooks-Janowiak, who also writes historical novels under the pen names Janice Young Brooks and Valerie Vayle, as well as contemporary novels under a number of other pen names. See this post at Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/31 ... ung_Brooks.

Does anyone else think her style is a bit reminiscent of Anya Seton? Seton's novels were perhaps more meticulously faithful in regard to historical details, but there's a similar focus on a woman's life over a long stretch of time, which incorporates romance without making it the centerpiece of the story.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu July 5th, 2012, 12:10 pm

[quote=""Margaret""]For those who have enjoyed Kathryn: In the Court of Six Queens, I've discovered Anne Merton Abbey is a pen name for Jean Brooks-Janowiak, who also writes historical novels under the pen names Janice Young Brooks and Valerie Vayle, as well as contemporary novels under a number of other pen names. See this post at Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/31 ... ung_Brooks.

Does anyone else think her style is a bit reminiscent of Anya Seton? Seton's novels were perhaps more meticulously faithful in regard to historical details, but there's a similar focus on a woman's life over a long stretch of time, which incorporates romance without making it the centerpiece of the story.[/quote]

I knew she had a pen name, but not that she also wrote under Janice Young Brooks. I've read several under that name. A mixed bag, 3-4 star range, although I would recommend Guests of the Emperor and Seventrees (if you can find it cheap).
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Fri July 6th, 2012, 1:28 am

I read Guests of the Emperor so many years ago, and I remember that I really enjoyed it and made sure my mum read it too. I'm sure it is still on the bookshelf at mum and dads!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri July 6th, 2012, 4:56 am

She did paranormal romances too, back in the day, well before they became currently fashionable.I still have my 1982 copy of Winter Lord (written as Jean Brooks-Janowiak).

Must add the blurb for a taste of breathless, forbidden passion:

"Did this man who roused her to undreamed of ecstacies seek to satisfy a sensual hunger as great as her own newfound erotic appetite?

Did this man answer the love that consumed her with a love of his own?

Or did her want her for something else?

Something she dared not imagine?

Janr O'Neill was swept up in a love affair that passed all human bounds - to become a pawn in a vast and awesome game with the key to a power beyond all mortal ken as prize..."

OMG, did I really read this -er- stuff?

Actually I think I'm having a Groundhog Day moment here - I'm sure we had this same discussion a couple of years back :)

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Tue July 10th, 2012, 3:37 am

Winter Lord sounds like a real Christmas plum!

I finished reading Kathryn: In the Court of Six Queens (an Interlibrary Loan copy - the new copy at Amazon right now is going for $260+, although there are reasonably priced used copies). I suspended disbelief and quite enjoyed it. The flavor, I think, is reminiscent of some of Anya Seton's novels, focusing on the many dramas of a woman's life - romance, but also friendship, children, navigating the treacherous waters of a male dominated society, and so on, with a little pagan mysticism thrown in. I've posted a review at HistoricalNovels.info.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Tue February 5th, 2013, 4:57 am

[quote=""Misfit""]I know, I just got lucky and some dumb bunny listed it for $5.

As far as EC, I don't think they'll drop until they are republished in the US. Check out Amazon Canada or the Book Depository. BD has free shipping but I'm not sure how well the exchange rate would compare to ordering from CA and paying shipping. Abebooks has some US sellers that import her books, thus paying no exchange rate but still a few bucks shipping.[/quote]

BUMP. I got mine for a penny! :D

Anyway, I find this book overrated. Well done and a favorite but overrated. Anne Boleyn and Anne of Cleves are two of my favorite queens and I despised her portrayals of both. I still like it though.

Return to “Tudor/Renaissance”