Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Kathryn In the Court of Six Queens by Anne Merton Abbey

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Kathryn In the Court of Six Queens by Anne Merton Abbey

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri August 29th, 2008, 7:04 pm

If anyone is interested a few cheap copies of this book are online right now at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0553280112?tag ... amp=211189

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 29th, 2008, 7:41 pm

Oh dear, and I think 1lila1 said she's out of town to Las Vegas. Hope there's some left when she gets back.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri August 29th, 2008, 7:43 pm

Do we know how much she wanted a copy? Maybe one of us could buy one and she can reimbuse us if we knew she really wanted it.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 29th, 2008, 8:05 pm

I know she wanted one, but not sure what her tolerance level was as to price. I think she was making a game of finding it. I'm wondering if the price is starting to go down as maybe it's going to get reprinted? That happened with Now Face to Face. A couple of years ago it was $50+ a book and it dropped like a rocket when word of the new issue came out.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri August 29th, 2008, 8:06 pm

Hmm, sigh, figures she'd leave just now. Well I guess we'll see if any are still left when she returns.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri August 29th, 2008, 8:18 pm

Ok, someone clue me in. What so speical about this book. :) I'm lost...
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 29th, 2008, 8:28 pm

Because it's so hard to find it usually goes for $50 +. I lucked out when some idiot didn't know what he had and let it go for $5 and I snapped it up. It's about the Tudors, but I'm not sure how well you'd go for it Divia. It is a romance and I know Jane pointed out some errors she caught in her review on Amazon. If you read it as a romance and just for fun it's great -- but don't take it seriously or you might end up wall banging it.

I do admit it was a nice change to have a couple fall in and out of love and in love with other people and grow older and ......oops that would be a spoiler, but it's a nice change from your usual romance plot.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri August 29th, 2008, 8:33 pm

hmm interesting. You're right I might not enjoy it, but I do wonder if you are correct in that it could be republished.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

JaneConsumer
Reader

Post by JaneConsumer » Sat August 30th, 2008, 11:43 am

I tracked down some of the original discussion of this book, which appeared in the old thread, Books That Digress from the History.

JaneConsumer (11 May 2008 8:56 PM)

But how do you feel as a reader when you read a book, become totally involved in a character, perhaps even fall in love with him/her and then find out afterwards that the novel is way off base and that the character either has a lot more warts than the novel portrays, or is misrepresented as a person in the novel when compared to documented history?

Initially, if I find out afterword that the character was very different from the portrayal, I feel a bit irked. But I can appreciate good storytelling a la Falls the Shadow. But like EC says above, I'm not likely to re-read it, knowing what I now know.

Kathryn in the Court of Six Queens is another good example. I'm not quite finished with it (about 300 pages into it), but after reading about the Duke of Norfolk assisting with Jane Seymour's afterbirth , I needed a break.

OMG, OK, fiction it is. But Anne Merton Abbey takes quite a few liberties with the history. Some, such as her portrayal of Jane Parker, I can understand and forgive. After reading Jane Boleyn, I can no longer buy into Jane being evil. But this book is clearly historical romance, and marketed as such, so I don't expect the kind of accuracy I've come to expect of authors, such as EC and Penman.

Misfit (11 May 2008 11:29 PM)

Interesting, Jane's picking up on things that went right over my head when I read the book, guess I'm not as Tudor'ed out as I though. I don't expect a romance to live up to the expectations of a HF, but it drives me nuts when I do catch them -- I guess ignorance is bliss, at least in the case of this book.

EC (12 May 2008 7:50 AM)

Originally Posted by JaneConsumer

Kathryn in the Court of Six Queens is another good example. I'm not quite finished with it (about 300 pages into it), but after reading about the Duke of Norfolk assisting with Jane Seymour's afterbirth , I needed a break.

Oh ROTFLOL Jane! ROTFLOL!
Then again, doesn't SKP have Llewelyn having a good look at Joanna's afterbirth in Here Be Dragons? (not that he was supposed to be there of course!)...unless I'm confusing it with another novel. But one wonders what the Duke of Norfolk's excuse was for getting so close to Jane Seymour's birthing chamber?

JaneConsumer (12 May 2008 8:29 AM)

But one wonders what the Duke of Norfolk's excuse was for getting so close to Jane Seymour's birthing chamber?

Oh, that's the best part. Thanks for the prompt!

Henry VIII was quite a suspicious man, ya know. He wouldn't risk leaving Jane to the hands of the midwives. Rather, he called in the doctors. (Does this seem backwards to anyone else?)

Fictional Kathryn, being the strong-minded woman she is, isn't about to let the doctors kill Jane, who's having trouble delivering the future prince. So she devises a scheme (throwing pepper on them to make them sneeze helplessly) to get them out of the room.

She then barracades the door. (Yep, it gets more incredulous by the minute.)

Said Duke comes a-pounding on it, reminding Kathryn that Henry likes to lop of heads of those who do him wrong (and even those who don't). He suggests he ought to be in the room as witness in the event anything goes wrong with delivering the prince.

So in the room, he is. Jane has trouble delivering the afterbirth too. Kathryn and her daughter are busy with the prince. Jacquetta, the local witch (uh-huh), takes the only remaining help in the room. Hence, Norfolk assists.

EC (12 May 2008 11:05 AM)

Golly - sounds priceless!
I am going to have to read it now!!
Last edited by JaneConsumer on Sat August 30th, 2008, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: formatting was off

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat August 30th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Despite all the inaccuracies, improbablities and such, this is still my all time favourite book of any genre!

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Return to “Tudor/Renaissance”