Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

"I Serve" by R.E. Lortz

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun September 30th, 2012, 3:04 pm

[quote=""annis""]Giving a historical novel a date as a title is unusual - I'm trying to think of others, but Mike Bryant's self-pubbed 1066 and Eric Flint's alt. history series 1632 are the only things coming to mind right now.[/quote]

Stephen King's time travel novel is 11/22/63, but that's more SF/alt history.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Antoine Vanner
Reader

Post by Antoine Vanner » Sat October 27th, 2012, 12:29 pm

"The Perfect King" by Ian Mortimer (first published 2006) is a very readable biography of Edward III and his doings, and those of his son, the Black Prince, in the 100 Years War. In addition however it also advances the amazing thesis that his father, Edward II, was not murdered - horribly or otherwise. There seems to be enough evidence available to support, if not to prove, this possibility, with Edward II being spirited away to mainland Europe after his deposition by his wife, Isabella, and her lover, Mortimer. He may have lived in Italy and there is reason to believe that he may on at least one occasion have meet Edward III.

There's the basis here for the plot of a fascinating historical novel. Would anybody like to rise to the challenge?

I might add that I think that even by the standards of his time the Black Prince was a homicidal psychopath. It's hard to see anything good, decent, romantic or attractive about him.
Last edited by Antoine Vanner on Sat October 27th, 2012, 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Update

Return to “Later Medieval”