Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Eleanor of Aquitaine

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue October 26th, 2010, 11:35 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I see that Anne O'Brien has a novel planned about her for 2011:

http://www.anneobrienbooks.com/news/[/quote]

Can't spell Aquitaine though!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue October 26th, 2010, 11:40 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Can't spell Aquitaine though![/quote]

;) Blame it on the webmaster?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed October 27th, 2010, 12:24 am

[quote=""EC2""]Can't spell Aquitaine though![/quote]

minor detail :p

I know nothing about her. Well, I can't remember anything about her. I'm sure I learned about her in my history classes.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed October 27th, 2010, 4:44 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I see that Anne O'Brien has a novel planned about her for 2011:

http://www.anneobrienbooks.com/news/[/quote]

I'm not that enamoured of the excerpt:
Now I have reached my fifteenth year. One day I will be Duchess of Aquitaine and Gascony, Countess of Poitou. My lands will be vast, wealthy, well-governed. I have been brought up to know luxury, sophistication, the delights of music and art. I will be influential and—so they say—beautiful. Do my father’s renowned troubadours not sing my praises?
It sounds a bit like she's applying for a university place. I almost expect her to add, 'I play both the clarinet and the piano and will take the Grade 7 Theory of Music examination in May.'

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed October 27th, 2010, 5:18 pm

The author's earlier work was published by Mira in the UK, which is the mainstream arm of Mills & Boon.
Les proz e les vassals

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed October 27th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Isn't it now accepted that she was actually born in 1124, so 15 would put her at 1139 and already married for 2 years to Louis of France?
Les proz e les vassals

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed October 27th, 2010, 5:37 pm

[quote=""EC2""]The author's earlier work was published by Mira in the UK, which is the mainstream arm of Mills & Boon.[/quote]

I think I've heard that she wrote romances and she's just come out with one on Anne Neville. Been out in the UK for a while and due out soon in the US. I believe BB has read a galley copy of that one. I'm hoping to win it off LT or the library will purchase, just out of curiosity's sake.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed October 27th, 2010, 5:47 pm

[quote=""EC2""]The author's earlier work was published by Mira in the UK, which is the mainstream arm of Mills & Boon.[/quote]

Didn't know M&B had a mainstream imprint. That's interesting. The Virgin Widow (Anne Neville book) is on my list of books to read.
EC2 wrote:Isn't it now accepted that she was actually born in 1124, so 15 would put her at 1139 and already married for 2 years to Louis of France?
I thought so. The 2004 Jean Flori biography I am reading says 1124 (although curiously, the family tree in the book says 1122 - guess it may have been reproduced from an older work).

I took 'fifteenth year' to mean Eleanor was fourteen as your fifteenth year is actually the year leading up to your fifteenth birthday. So that would make the date 1138? Doesn't solve the problem though, she would still have been married.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed October 27th, 2010, 9:51 pm

I have the Anne O'Brien book on my TBR pile. I've never actually heard of her but it sounds quite good.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed October 27th, 2010, 10:02 pm

[
QUOTE=Miss Moppet;72579]Didn't know M&B had a mainstream imprint. That's interesting. The Virgin Widow (Anne Neville book) is on my list of books to read.
Yes. My friend Penny Jordan writes for them. She's a doyen of Mills and Boon as everyone knows them, but also writes for Mira. I've just edited this. I put up an url to what I thought was a Mira title of hers, but it's actually an Avon one. - duh. But yes, Mira are a branch of Mills&Boon.

I
thought so. The 2004 Jean Flori biography I am reading says 1124 (although curiously, the family tree in the book says 1122 - guess it may have been reproduced from an older work).
Yes, it's more recent research than some, but it's been known for a while and any new writers coming on board should be aware of it. SKP mentioned it a little while back. AW still has it at 1122 on her "facts" ;) about Eleanor at Amazon.com.
Last edited by EC2 on Wed October 27th, 2010, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les proz e les vassals

Return to “Later Medieval”