Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Eleanor of Aquitaine

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun April 10th, 2011, 1:20 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Oh yes indeed. I started work on that several months ago and am building up an interesting picture, not just of Eleanor, but of Louis (I think this is a perfect description of his personality if you take him as The Lady in this cartoon http://www.reallyfabcards.com/EM29.php ) and Suger and Eleanor's sister Petronella. It mostly agrees with known history, but there are different slants and facets - as I always expect. It is also interesting to see how much secondary sources take one facet and run with it so often that the weight of history becomes very lopsided. You have to strip it back to the original source if possible and then ask who was writing it and why they chose their words.
When I said the take was my own, I suppose I was being sensitive to the awareness that some readers don't believe in, or have difficulty getting their heads round the psychic side of my research. As far as I'm concerned I've done too much of it now and had such consistent results for it not to be bang on the money, but I know not everyone agrees.[/quote]

I don't care how you do what you do, it just works ;)

So long as Alison doesn't come across Eleanor sleeping with Uncle Raymond, or Stephen being Henry's father :o
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun April 10th, 2011, 1:36 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I don't care how you do what you do, it just works ;)

So long as Alison doesn't come across Eleanor sleeping with Uncle Raymond, or Stephen being Henry's father :o [/quote]

If she does I'll be stuffed! :eek: :rolleyes:
But it's so like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates that we never know what's going to turn up. I often think one thing because of what secondary sources have said, and it turns out to be something completely different, but still totally plausible within historical parameters - and sometimes more likely - than the things modern historians have assumed to 'doubtless' or 'probably' be true.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri April 15th, 2011, 8:44 am

Congrats on the Eleanor book deal EC -saw it on your blog! Great titles, and good luck with the writing.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri April 15th, 2011, 9:41 am

Just noticed this - that is good news. Something to look forward to! Misfit will be tapping her fingers impatiently for the next three years or so, then!!! LOL. :p ;) :D Is.....it......June.....yet? :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri April 15th, 2011, 12:40 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]Just noticed this - that is good news. Something to look forward to! Misfit will be tapping her fingers impatiently for the next three years or so, then!!! LOL. :p ;) :D Is.....it......June.....yet? :D [/quote]

It is about time to start that chant isn't it? :D
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri April 15th, 2011, 2:52 pm

I reckon it could be! :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

noodles
Scribbler

Post by noodles » Mon June 6th, 2011, 3:30 am

I'm new here, and have not read anything about Eleanor before. After reading this thread, I think I may try Duchess of Aquitaine by Margaret Ball, Queen of Swords, and/or maybe the Robert Fripp book, Power of a Woman.

Glad to see EC has something in the works, too! I'm sorry to say I've not read any of her books yet, but I shall remedy that asap!

Return to “Later Medieval”