Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

William Wallace

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 8:31 pm

interesting that so many writers approach the subject matter at the same time.

I wonder if theres any older HF on Wallace. Ill go ahead and take a guess that Nigel Tranter did something with him (i remember him briefly at the start of the bruce trilogy). Is there anybody else? there must be.

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 8:36 pm

[quote=""keny from prague""]interesting that so many writers approach the subject matter at the same time.

I wonder if theres any older HF on Wallace. Ill go ahead and take a guess that Nigel Tranter did something with him (i remember him briefly at the start of the bruce trilogy). [/quote]

Yes he did - it's called "The Wallace" :)
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 8:37 pm

[quote=""princess""]Yes he did - it's called "The Wallace" :) [/quote]

no big suprise there :)

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 8:47 pm

[quote=""keny from prague""]no big suprise there :) [/quote]

Definitely not :)
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri July 23rd, 2010, 3:47 am

Just when you think you've come across every Tranter novel, another 10 pop up. The man must have written a book a month!

There was an immensely popular early 19th century novel about WW and Robert the Bruce which is credited with inspiring Sir Walter Scott to start writing HF with a Scottish setting. The Scottish Chiefs by Jane Porter was published round about 1804. Anyone keen enough can read it online here:
http://www.electricscotland.com/history ... ic/chiefs/

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Fri July 23rd, 2010, 4:14 pm

I think the Braveheart film was based on Randall Wallace's novel called "Braveheart"....Yes I read it and it was G_ _ Awful..just as bad as the film full of the typical historical inaccuracies IE the Wallace and Isabella thing, WW was not Highlander etc etc.....

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Fri July 23rd, 2010, 5:49 pm

[quote=""chuck""]I think the Braveheart film was based on Randall Wallace's novel called "Braveheart"....Yes I read it and it was G_ _ Awful..just as bad as the film full of the typical historical inaccuracies IE the Wallace and Isabella thing, WW was not Highlander etc etc.....[/quote]

Yes I read it too and the film is based on it. Braveheart is a very watchable film......................if you can ignore all the historical inaccuracies (which I can't!!!), such as the Battle of Stirling Bridge not being fought on a bridge :eek: :eek: :eek:

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Fri July 23rd, 2010, 5:53 pm

[quote=""N. Gemini Sasson""]
Although William Wallace was a catalyst in the era's events (which are actually far more complex and extensive than most people realize), there are several historical figures who are worthy of examination. It will be interesting to see what each writer does with them.[/quote]

I would like to read more about Andrew de Moray.

chokipokilo

Post by chokipokilo » Fri July 23rd, 2010, 6:28 pm

I've been looking at reading a novel/series in this setting, and it seems like Tranter pops up the most. Anyone read and can recommend Tranter or any other authors?

N. Gemini Sasson
Reader

Post by N. Gemini Sasson » Sat July 24th, 2010, 12:21 pm

[quote=""keny from prague""]interesting that so many writers approach the subject matter at the same time.

I wonder if theres any older HF on Wallace. Ill go ahead and take a guess that Nigel Tranter did something with him (i remember him briefly at the start of the bruce trilogy). Is there anybody else? there must be.[/quote]

In addition to The Wallace, he did a trilogy on Bruce consisting of: The Steps to the Empty Throne, The Path of the Hero King, and The Price of the King's Peace.

And yes, Tranter was outrageously prolific.
Last edited by N. Gemini Sasson on Sat July 24th, 2010, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Later Medieval”