Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

A few medieval novels

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun August 9th, 2009, 4:08 pm

I didn't know that Alys Clare wrote under another name.

She's got a new medieaval (sp?) series coming out this year, set in the Ely Fens just after William the Conqueror's death, sound good!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Saxon1974
Scribbler

Post by Saxon1974 » Tue March 16th, 2010, 5:38 am

[quote=""EC2""]Those on my list were just some of my favourite medievals and not in order - I'd find it difficult to have a single top favourite because it all depends on mood. I left off Avalon and Katherine by Seton, Penman's Prince of Darkness - I love her mysteries too, Valerie Anand's King of the Wood, Brian Wainwright's Alianor Audeley - which would have been on the list if I hadn't put it down somewhere and couldn't find it to scan! Bernard Cornwell's Harlequin and Last Kingdom series, Diana Norman's FitzEmpress's Law.... and so it goes on. :) [/quote]

Greetings Elizabeth Chadwick, I have been a reader of yours for a while now and had been looking for something set around the time of the Norman conquest since I enjoyed your novel "The Winter Mantle". I really enjoyed reading about the Saxon nobles post 1066 thanks very much for your books! (I do have to admit I liked the early covers that looked more medieval and less romantic but then again Im a guy :) )

I picked up Valerie Anand's "King of the Wood" based on your suggestion here. I enjoyed it very much thank you as I had not heard of this author before.

One of the things I especially liked was learning about Hern and Beltane, I didn't know much about this culture previously...this novel really takes you into the deep wood of the period and makes it come alive.

I also found it interesting that most of the characters were neither good nor bad. Now that I finished the book Im still not sure! But I like that because it seems more historically realistic. Made them seem more human and real.

Quite an interesting take on the killing of William Rufus.

Thanks again and keep writing and giving us great books to read.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue March 16th, 2010, 6:05 am

Hi, Saxon1974, welcome! You're in good company - there are lots of EC fans here :)

Valerie Anand seems to have been influenced (as were many historical fiction authors of the mid-2oth century) by the neopagan theories of British anthropologist Margaret Murray. relating to the universal place of witchcraft and ritual kingship in history and collective mythic consciousness.

William Rufus's death in Anand's "King of the Wood" is a typical example of aritual kingship sacrifice as envisaged by Murray. Interesting stuff!

If you can find them, Anand's trilogy surrounding the Norman Conquest is very good- Gildenford, The Norman Pretender and The Disputed Crown. They're out-of-print now and pricey, so probably library interloan material.
Last edited by annis on Tue March 16th, 2010, 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Tue March 16th, 2010, 9:26 am

Interesting thread (thanks!) but it's made me realize that my medieval reading must be severely lacking, because I've only read three of all the books suggested :eek: .

You've all certainly given me food for thought and an ongoing challenge :p .
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Tue March 16th, 2010, 4:23 pm

Misfit...I remember Schoonover's BB fondly...Classic old school read...enjoy....The cover is a hoot...

Saxon1974
Scribbler

Post by Saxon1974 » Wed March 17th, 2010, 4:48 am

[quote=""annis""]Hi, Saxon1974, welcome! You're in good company - there are lots of EC fans here :)

Valerie Anand seems to have been influenced (as were many historical fiction authors of the mid-2oth century) by the neopagan theories of British anthropologist Margaret Murray. relating to the universal place of witchcraft and ritual kingship in history and collective mythic consciousness.

William Rufus's death in Anand's "King of the Wood" is a typical example of aritual kingship sacrifice as envisaged by Murray. Interesting stuff!

If you can find them, Anand's trilogy surrounding the Norman Conquest is very good- Gildenford, The Norman Pretender and The Disputed Crown. They're out-of-print now and pricey, so probably library interloan material.[/quote]

Interesting I will have to look for those books thanks!

Also, I found this set around the time of the conquest as well. Anyone read it? I just found a copy so Im gonna read it soon.

"The Paladin" by George Shipway

http://www.amazon.com/Paladin-George-Sh ... 267&sr=8-1

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon March 22nd, 2010, 9:28 pm

Posted by Saxon1974
Also, I found this set around the time of the conquest as well. Anyone read it? I just found a copy so Im gonna read it soon.
"The Paladin" by George Shipway
I've just posted a comment on the George Shipway thread :)
http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... #post55943

Return to “Later Medieval”