Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Vanessa’s 2023 Reads

What have you read this year? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Vanessa’s 2023 Reads

Post by Vanessa » Thu February 2nd, 2023, 10:27 am

January

Here’s my list for January:

How to Kill Men and Get Away With It by Katy Brent
Kitty Collins is a serial killer with a difference. She only kills men who have done something really bad. She also has a problem - a stalker of her very own! What will Kitty do next, how will she solve her dilemma? Read the book to find out! This is rather a compelling read in a gruesome sort of way. Think Sweeney Todd and Dexter blended together! Quite the combination but I think it was a little too much for me. I understand where Kitty is coming from but I did find it very macabre. However, it is written with a sense of humour and there are some laugh out loud moments with great one liners. I’m just a little worried about Kitty’s boyfriend - hope he behaves otherwise he might find himself reincarnated as a sausage roll even if she is a vegan! 😆 This book won’t be for everyone but it’s definitely a jaw dropper and should appeal to chiller thriller fans.

The Girl in the Red Coat by Kate Hamer
Eight year old Carmel goes missing at a reading festival and is abducted by a man who persuades her that he’s her grandfather. He, in fact, belongs to a religious cult. She finds herself on a very strange journey indeed whilst her mother, Beth, is frantically trying the find her, never giving up hope of being reunited with her child. This is a beautifully written story about love, loss and survival. The voices of Carmel and Beth are very realistic. They are such resilient and determined characters, showing much strength in their adversity. I was totally immersed in both Carmel’s and Beth’s journeys, there is an acute sense of Beth’s angst and isolation and Carmel’s bewilderment and her all abiding spirit. There is also a sense of unease throughout. I read this book via the Pigeonhole app and eagerly awaited each stave every day. A riveting and emotional read which I can highly recommend. I look forward to reading the sequel, The Lost Girls, in due course.

The Secrets of Elloughton Park by Stephen Taylor
Historian James Postlethwaite discovers some journals belonging to Lord Carlisle of Elloughton Park and Ginny Farmer, a cinder maid. He decides to delve into the lives of these characters with some help from one of his students, Grace Farmer, with some surprising results. And then the present starts colliding with the past This is an enjoyable story and I liked how it was written. It’s told via three voices and mostly in an epistolary format. It’s set in Bristol and London during the present day and the 18thC. The timelines seem to gel together very well. It’s quite an intriguing tale and I liked the characters, particularly Ginny. She certainly had the furthest journey to travel, she’s a survivor that’s for sure! An entertaining and easy read which should appeal to historical fiction fans.

The Other Half by Charlotte Vassell
A young woman is found dead on Hampstead Heath, believed murdered. She is part of a certain crowd of privileged people, one of whom is her boyfriend who has just celebrated his 30th birthday at a party in McDonald’s with the aid of champagne and cocaine. He is one of the prime suspects but did he do it? I read this book via the Pigeonhole app, a stave at a time. I wasn’t convinced by the first stave as most of the characters are very unlikeable, but gradually I began to enjoy it and ultimately found it it gripping. It’s written with a sense of humour and the banter between the police officers is quite entertaining. It delves into the seedy side of life and touches on a variety of subjects like class and race. A well written and compelling crime drama with a little bit of Greek mythology thrown in!

Lost & Found by James Gould-Bourn
Ronnie lives in a run down seaside town and works at the local bus station in the Lost Property Office as well as actually cleaning the buses. He’s a hypochondriac, visiting his doctor for all sorts of minor ailments. He’s been living on his own since his father died and is feeling quite isolated, a lone wolf. One day he acquires a dog by the name of Hamlet who is in need of fostering. Little does he know how much he will change his life…. What a wonderfully quirky and delightful little story this is! It’s about loneliness, the power of friendship and how the companionship of a dog can turn your life around. It’s also about finding yourself which is symbolised by the loss and return of Ronnie’s shadow. It’s beautifully and humorously written. Ronnie is such a great character and I loved Hamlet, the wonder worker! I also loved travelling with them on their journey together and meeting the rest of the eclectic cast along the way. A heartwarming, uplifting and touching read which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was a pleasure to read it.

The Interpreter by Brooke Robinson
Court interpreter Revelle Lee is going through the process of adopting a child. To make up for a past mistake she puts the adoption and her career at stake by mistranslating an alibi. But someone knows what she’s done and also knows about her past and they want revenge. This starts off really well and I was quite gripped. It has a good premise. It’s well written in an engaging style which is easy to read. However, it’s very implausible and I was frustrated with it by the end. In fact, I was pleased when I’d turned the last page. Some of the main character’s actions are bizarre and I was left feeling disappointed overall. It’s a shame as it had the potential to be a great thriller.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

February

Post by Vanessa » Fri March 3rd, 2023, 5:28 pm

Here’s my list for February:

The Little Bookshop in Paris by Nina George
Monsieur Perdue has a bookshop on a barge and when he reads a letter he has put off reading, he sets off on a mission to the south of France, along the country’s waterways to try to come to terms with the past. He is accompanied by an author and an Italian chef. This is an enjoyable little tale. It was a little different to what I expected as I thought it would be more about books helping readers with their problems, a book about books. The translation is a little clunky, too, I enjoyed the journey, however, and loved the descriptions of the French countryside.

Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt
This is a wonderful little tale about the relationship and connection between a cleaner who works in an aquarium, a wastrel who is looking for his father and a very clever Giant Pacific Octopus called Marcellus. I read it via the Pigeonhole app, a stave at a time, and I can honestly say I was eagerly looking forward to immersing myself in this absorbing story every day. The characters are just fantastic and so believable, especially the marvellous Marcellus! The reader is allowed into the mind of Marcellus, thereby revealing his thoughts, and for some reason, I found this quite convincing! 😊🐙. It’s a story about family, grief, love and loneliness. A beautifully written, poignant and heartwarming read which I can highly recommend. I loved it!

The Bleeding by Johanna Gustawsson
Set in Paris and Quebec, this is a fascinating historical gothic thriller told via three narrators and in three timelines. In 2002 a schoolteacher is accused of killing her husband, in 1949 a young girl is bullied at school and befriends a woman in an asylum and in 1899 two children are believed to have died in a fire but their mother thinks otherwise, calling on the services of a spiritualist. This is a gripping and atmospheric thriller with more than a hint of black magic. There is a great sense of menace and the macabre. The three timelines gel together well and each chapter is mostly left on something of a cliffhanger which, in turn, made me want to eagerly read on! The narrators have very different voices and I wasn’t really sure what was going on and how they all connected until the end. The conclusion was a complete surprise, I didn’t guess it at all. It’s quite the revelation! This is an exciting and darkly intriguing read by an author who I’ve never read before. I will definitely be looking out for her other books! Highly enjoyable and I can recommend it.

Within You, Without You by Sara O’Donovan
This is a story about first love between a middle class girl and a boy from the wrong side of the tracks. It’s set over a period 20 years in England and Ireland. A Sliding Doors type of book, although this doesn’t become clear until nearing the end, it’s a gentle, thoughtful tale and beautifully written. The portrayal of first love is well described, that intense infatuation which rarely lasts but can have such a knock on effect on the rest of your life. It’s quite a slow burner so not fast paced. The ending did feel like I’d gone down the rabbit hole as it all gets a little other worldly! A different sort of read but quite thought provoking! 3.5⭐️

Make Me Clean by Tina Baker
Maria is a cleaner, a good one at that. She looks after elderly Elsie, unhappy Brian and the strange Mr Balogan with complete efficiency, leaving everything sparkling. So efficient she sometimes cleans up other things as well, like the after effects of murder! I really enjoyed this book. It’s fun, entertaining and a little bit different. It’s written with a great sense of dark humour. I loved Maria, she’s a fantastic character. Life has not been kind to her but she’s finding ways of making it better! 👀There’s also a whole cast of other well drawn characters who add to the overall story. It holds its pace and kept me gripped until the end. I read this via the Pigeonhole app over ten days and I eagerly awaited each stave every day. I will not forget Maria in a hurry! An excellent read.

Wilding by Isabella Tree
Isabella Tree and her husband, Charlie Burrell, live on the Knepp estate in Sussex. They decide to take their land back to nature and let the wildlife a free rein. I read this with my local book group. It’s interesting and gives food for thought about our environment, about the knock on effects of actions which we consider to be ‘progress’. I’m not a big non-fiction fan so a lot of it went over my head, all the data, statistics, official bodies etc. However, I particularly enjoyed the chapters about animals and butterflies - there are some quite amusing bits, for example some Tamworth pigs escaping and eating ice cream and also gatecrashing a wedding celebration!😆. I would love to visit the Knepp estate and have a guided tour, I think I would learn more from that and it would stay in my head!

The Wilderness Retreat by Jennifer Moore
Bella embarks on a trip to a wellness retreat set in a secluded forest in Sweden to help her recover from ‘empty nest syndrome’. She’s one of eight guests, including a mystery one. All is not as it seems as she starts to receive peculiar notes slipped under her door and hears strange noises during the night from the empty room next to hers. Is Bella imagining things or has someone got murder on their mind? I rather enjoyed this book. I loved the setting, I thought it was atmospheric. However, if you like your thrillers littered with dead bodies you may well be disappointed by this one. It’s quite a slow burner and somewhat insidious, the characters not particularly likeable. It’s very much what I would call a psychological mystery, it plays with the mind. The sense of paranoia is intense, the suspense building up nicely to a satisfying finish. All in all, I found it an entertaining and gripping read, an experience made better by reading along with other pigeons via the Pigeonhole app.

Em & Me by Beth Morrey
Delphine is a single mother, living with her talented daughter, Em, and caring for her withdrawn father. After a stroke of luck Delphine lands a new job in the Merhaba Cafe where she finds new friends and ends up practising French with eccentric Letty and singing in a band named ‘The Tiny Pennies’. She also has a secret which casts a shadow over their lives. This is such a lovely, heartwarming tale with some fantastic, believable characters. It’s a story about grief, family and friendship, as well as about having the courage to start again. It’s never too late to try something new! Life is a journey, as we all know, and it’s not always a bed of roses. But we should never give in, we just have to put one foot in front of the other. I thoroughly enjoyed reading Delphine’s story, I was so sad when I turned the last page. I shall miss these wonderful characters very much. A beautifully written, absorbing and emotional read.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

March

Post by Vanessa » Sat April 1st, 2023, 11:42 am

Here’s my list for March. I had a good month!

City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert
Its 1940 and 19 year old Vivian Morris travels to New York to live with her bohemian Aunt Peg. Peg runs a revue theatre. Vivian soon becomes one of the crowd and Kearns certain lessons along the way. I very much enjoyed this book. Vivian was quite a character. I loved the era it was set in, the theatrical side and I just thought it was very well written. I usually enjoy stories written in the first person, I feel like I’m getting in their head. An excellent read. Highly recommended.

Lady MacBethad by Isabelle Schuler
The story of the Scottish queen Lady MacBethad rather than Shakespeare’s version of MacBeth. It’s the 11thC and Gruoch, who is a daughter of druids, has been prophesied that she will be queen of Alpha. She is promised to Duncan, the King’s heir, but the path to queendom is anything but smooth. I enjoyed this book and thought it was well written. It was quite gripping and fast paced. However, Gruoch did irritate me slightly as she did tend to open her mouth before engaging her brain, not advisable in those days and even less advisable when you were a woman. I’m surprised she lived to tell the tale sometimes. Having said all that, the research gone into writing Gruoch’s story was inspiring. It gave a good insight into the era. I read this book in stave format via the Pigeonhole app and I looked forward to reading each instalment every day for ten days. An entertaining and exciting read. Will there be a sequel? There’s plenty more of Lady MacBethad’s story to tell, I’m sure!

So Pretty by Ronnie Turner
Set in the coastal town of Rye, a young man arrives and takes up a position in a peculiar shop. Along with her son, a single mother has also recently arrived in Rye, trying to escape from her past. When their worlds collide, secrets are revealed. This all leads to obsession. I have to admit to not being sure whether I enjoyed this story or not. It has an unusual writing style - I’m not sure how to describe it, it has a sort of sparseness to it. The story itself is rather disturbing. It has a slow build up with a growing sense of foreboding to start with, which I liked. It‘s atmospheric and it drew me in. Then the action takes a different turn, becoming really quite dark and unsettling. I think I’m in the minority with how I feel about this book as there are plenty of four and five star reviews. I was attracted by the words ‘gothic thriller’ in the description as I usually enjoy gothic style stories. I’m ambivalent about it, betwixt and between!

A Quiet Life by Ethan Joella
This is a lovely, emotional story about loss, grief and coping mechanisms. There are three main characters, a man who has lost his wife to cancer, a young woman whose father was killed at a gas station incident and another young woman whose child has been kidnapped by her ex husband. As the tale progresses, these three people’s lives connect through their heartache and pain. I read this book via the Pigeonhole app over ten days, a stave a day. I looked forward very much to reading each instalment. It’s a heartwarming, moving and thoughtful story with some well drawn characters. Although it is a book about the sorrow and sadness of losing someone special, it is also about hope. Highly recommended.

The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman
The second in the Thursday Murder Club series, a murder mystery revolving around stolen diamonds and the mafia. I read this with my book club, I loved the first book and this second one didn’t disappoint. It’s a fun and entertaining mystery written with a sense of humour. The characters are great, Joyce being my favourite. Looking forward the third instalment in due course.

The Cat Who Saved Books by Sosuke Natsukawa
Rintaro spends a lot of time at his grandfather’s bookshop, helping out, but when he dies, Rintaro is visited by a very unusual cat who can talk and who takes him on adventures in a mission to save books. This is a shortish story but packs quite a punch about how we all individually read and deal with books. It reminded me a little of Alice in Wonderland as it definitely takes the reader on a journey down the rabbit hole! It’s a magical and whimsical little tale. Never underestimate the power of books - what do books mean to you, that is the question. Quite thought provoking in its way. An enjoyable, delightful, quick and easy little read. The translation flows well, too.

Eleven Liars by Robert Gold
We’re back in the small town of Haddley again where a fire in the local disused community centre is being investigated by journalist Ben Harper and PC Dani Cash. A body is discovered underneath the centre, along with a knife which mysteriously disappears. MI loved Twelve Secrets by the same author so was looking forward to reading Eleven Liars - it didn’t disappoint! I was gripped from beginning to end. There are a fair few characters, you have to keep your wits about you. It’s very good for the little grey cells! Small town life is well illustrated. There are plenty of twists and turns plus the odd red herring. I read this via the Pigeonhole app, one stave a day over ten days and excitedly awaited every instalment. A well paced and written page turner. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series already. 🤞

The Little Venice Bookshop by Rebecca Raisin
After her mother dies, Luna discovers some letters which sends her on a journey to Venice in search of the man who she believes is her father. Luna uncovers more than she bargained for! This is a pleasant and easy read, some of it sad and some of it happy. It’s a little predictable, not that that bothers me too much! I’m just mentioning it. It’s set in a beautiful location. Venice is one my favourite places to have visited. I doubt whether I will visit it again but have some fantastic memories which will last a lifetime. The descriptions of the city are evocative and I was able to visualise it well. The bookshop sounded wonderful! I loved the book references. With some zany characters and an engaging storyline, it’s a lovely piece of escapism and will take you away from life’s trials and tribulations, especially in the current climate.

The Attic at Wilton Place by CE Rose
Isolated Ruth Parker is overlooked by her mother and is taken under her aunt’s wing, who guides and moulds through her teenage and university years. But when Ruth finds a locked room in the attic of her aunt’s house, it opens a whole can of worms. I found this gothic inspired family drama quite a slow burner but enjoyable nevertheless. It draws you in gradually, the tension builds up gently and it ends with a dramatic finish. I loved the style of writing, it has an insidious almost sinister atmosphere to it. A sort of Daphne du Maurier meets Diane Setterfield type of feel. I thought the characters were well drawn, I could picture them easily. I liked Ruth even if she did make some rather rash decisions sometimes An engaging and compelling read about secrets and how they can reverberate through the years and then come back to haunt you!

The Mother by TM Logan
Heather is sent to prison for a crime she didn’t commit, murdering her husband. When she is released ten years later, she sets out to clear her name. This is quite the rollercoaster of a psychological thriller. It’s fast paced, it rattles along, is full of twists and turns and, yes, there is the odd red herring! I was gripped from beginning to end. It’s very much a cat and mouse chase as our protagonist fights for survival and to exonerate herself. I didn’t know who to believe. I quite liked Heather, the main character, she seemed quite resilient and determined. I was definitely cheering her on. There are some grey areas but don’t let that put you off. It should have you glued to the pages. A very enjoyable read.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Re: Vanessa’s 2023 Reads

Post by Vanessa » Tue May 2nd, 2023, 6:43 pm

Here’s my list for April:

The Mysterious Case of the Alperton Angels by Janice Hallett
True crime author Alison Bailey is writing a story about a cult called the Alperton Angels who thought a baby was the anti-Christ and it was their mission to kill it. It backfired and the Angels take part in a suicide pact or did they? I loved this one. It’s told in the author’s usual quirky style, this story told via way of emails, texts, interviews and even a script. I was very much gripped by it. The plot is very complex but clever and the characters well rounded. An absorbing mystery.

The Misadventures of Margaret Finch by Clare McGlasson
Set just before WWII in Blackpool, Margaret Finch has just taken up the position as a ‘researcher’ for the ‘Mass Observation’ project. She encounters the disgraced Reverend of Stiffkey who has started a campaign trying to clear his name. Margaret is determined to get to the bottom of the situation and find out whether the claims are true or not. She discovers more than she bargain for. This is a lovely story which I read via the Pigeonhole app. I loved Margaret and thought she was a great character. She’s a bit of an odd bod but fascinating nevertheless. The plot itself is something of a slow burner. However, I found it intriguing and interesting, leading me to eagerly turn the pages. Truth is stranger than fiction, they say, and that certainly seems to be the case with this book. It’s a mix of fact and the imagination. I enjoyed the descriptions of Blackpool, they really transport you to the time and place. I haven’t been to Blackpool myself, apart from from a trip in my parents’ car at nighttime to see the illuminations, but I could still visualise it all quite easily. An engaging and captivating read, I’m going to miss Margaret et al enormously.

No Place to Hide by J S Monroe
Adam, a respected paediatrician, is living the life he dreamed of with his wife and children. The only little glitch is that Adam constantly feels he’s under surveillance, but when he suddenly bumps into an old flame from university in peculiar circumstances, it opens up a whole can of worms with some very sinister consequences. I was gripped by this story from beginning to end. It’s told via a dual timeline, that of the current day and during 1998, the past impacting the present. There’s a definite dark feel to this really quite disturbing tale. It’s quite scary at times and it had me on tenterhooks as to what was going to happen next. I read this book via the Pigeonhole app alongside other readers, receiving a stave a day for ten days. Dr Faustus meets Angel Heart in this well written and plotted psychological thriller which takes the reader on a roller coaster of a ride into some very nightmarish places. Beware! You never know who is watching you! 🎥👀

The Widow’s Weeds by Allie Cresswell
The third in the ‘Widows’ series, this one centring on Viola and Maisie. Viola has a secret and a drinking problem. Maisie has troubles of her own in the form of house renovations, advances from a neighbour and preparing for her daughter’s wedding. Their lives collide in the most unlikely of ways, but will they up being friends at last? This story deals with some serious themes, but amongst the weeds and the showers there are quite a lot of flowers and sunshine. I’ve read the previous two books, The Hoarder’s Widow and The Widow’s Mite, which I very much enjoyed. The Widow’s Weeds is no exception, it didn’t disappoint in the least bit. It’s a welcome addition to the series. It’s well written with some endearing characters plus the odd villain. I have been totally immersed in their lives for the past week. A moving tale of friendship and courage which had me turning the pages to the very end.

:p Death of a Bookseller by Alice Slater
Set in a bookshop called Spines, it’s basically about two booksellers. Roach is a goth with some peculiar habits and Laura is the complete opposite but with a drinking problem. Both are somewhat disturbed. Roach has a fascination for true crime and becomes fixated with Laura as dark secrets are revealed. This is an unusual and quite unsettling tale of obsession. There are a few unlikeable characters, particularly the main two. I loved the setting - who doesn’t enjoy a browse around a bookshop - and I liked the literary references. One particular bookseller would scare me to death, though. She really made my skin crawl with her oddities. It’s quite a slow burner with the narrative building slowly, gradually drawing the reader in, and it has some cringeworthy moments. All in all I found this a dark, creepy and compelling read with a spine chilling ending. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water…..

Killing Jericho by William Hussey
Scott Jericho, one time detective, has just been released from prison and is living with his fairground family. When a series of gruesome murders comes to his attention which appear to be linked to a tragic event that occurred a century ago, he decides to investigate the case. Roll up, roll up for the magical murder mystery tour! A real rollercoaster of a ride and a trip to the chamber of horrors. This a dark and twisty thriller where I never knew what was going to happen next. It’s very different and the ending was a complete surprise. I liked the character of Scott Jericho, he has a tough shell but a soft centre. I look forward to reading more of his adventures. A well written page turner which kept me on the edge of my seat right until the end.

The Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak
A story of forbidden love between a Greek boy and a Turkish girl and the fig tree which bears witness to their romance during the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in the 1970s. We also meet Ada, their daughter, who is attending school in London. I thought this was a lovely story and I loved that the fig tree had its own voice. It added a bit of quirkiness. It’s lyrically and beautifully written. A story of love, loss, grief and ultimately hope. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

May

Post by Vanessa » Thu June 1st, 2023, 7:49 am

Here’s my list for May:

Alchemy by S J Parris
The seventh in the Giordano Bruno mystery series set in the 16thC. In this episode Bruno has travelled to Prague at the behest of Sir Francis Walsingham to make contact with alchemist and mystic John Dee. When he gets there he finds John missing and another alchemist murdered. And then he bumps into his old nemesis and finds himself in danger yet again. I read the previous book, Execution, via the Pigeonhole app a couple of years ago and loved it, so when Alchemy became available I jumped at the chance to read it. It didn’t disappoint - another cracking historical thriller. A combination of fact and fiction with a great sense of time and place, I found this quite the page turner. It’s full of intrigue and suspense with some great characters. I’m looking forward to reading the preceding books in the series as well as joining Bruno on his next adventure. Highly recommended.

One Puzzling Afternoon by Emily Critchley
A dual time frame story set in 1951 and 2018. Elderly Edie Green, who is having trouble with her memory, looks back on her life, trying to work out just what happened to her friend, Lucy Theddle, who disappeared one day. She remembers there was some sort of secret but just can’t recollect clearly what it was. This is a lovely, poignant and engaging little mystery. It deals with the subject of dementia in a sensitive and subtle way. I really liked Edie, it was quite sad to travel this journey with her in her search for the truth but it gave a great insight into this devastating condition. It’s beautifully written and a joy to read with some wonderfully drawn characters. I read this book via the Pigeonhole app and eagerly awaited each stave every day. Highly recommended.

The Secrets of Hartswood Hall by Katie Lumsden
Set in 1852, recently widowed Margaret Lennox takes up a position as governess at Hartswood Hall in the west of England. It’s not long before strange things happen and her past starts to catch up with her. A beautifully written and atmospheric gothic mystery with nods to Jane Eyre. It’s quite a slow burner, though, as it gradually draws you in and I was keen to find out just what the secrets were. Some nicely drawn characters, too. However, I found the ending a little disappointing.

The Herd by Emily Edwards
This about a group of friends who have different ideas about the MMR vaccination. When one of them decides to have a party for her daughter who was ill as a baby, she asks all other parents to ensure their child is vaccinated. One parent lies and when a measles outbreak occurs, it has terrible consequences. I enjoyed this story but found it irritating at the same time. There are a few grey areas and I didn’t particularly like Elizabeth, one of the main characters. The vaccination debate is portrayed well and it seems well researched. I read it with my local book club and I would recommend it as a great novel to read with such a group as there is much to discuss.

Henry VIII, the Heart and the Crown by Alison Weir
The story of King Henry VIII from the beginning of his reign until his death. It’s the second in the Tudor Rose series. This is a fascinating and vivid interpretation of Henry’s life. It’s well researched and really brought him to life for me. Henry was a wily old fox but quite a grim and complex character, too. It makes for compelling reading and is an excellent piece of historical fiction. At over 600 pages it’s not short, but it’s very entertaining and quite the page turner. I’ve read the first three books in the Six Tudor Queens series about Henry’s wives, so I’m now looking forward to reading the remaining three.

The Last Dance by Mark Billingham
The first in a new series with a quirky, ballroom dancing detective at the helm. Widowed DS Declan Miller has recently returned to work and is soon investigating a double murder which has occurred in a hotel. He is also trying to investigate his wife’s murder whilst at the same time not seeming to be doing so! Not always successfully. I enjoyed this murder mystery although I did find Miller’s sense of humour a little irritating after a while. However, I did quite like him and also thought his partner in crime, DS Sara Xui, with her heavy metal proclivities an interesting character. The story itself was quite well plotted and the pace flowed nicely which kept me turning the pages. It’s left on something of a cliffhanger as a tempter for the sequel. I read this via the Pigeonhole app, where staves are delivered each day for 10 days. I always looked forward to reading a little more every time. A fun and entertaining thriller with a difference!

The Colour of Glass by Clare Flynn
Set at the beginning of the 20thC during the Arts & Crafts movement, this tells the story of suffrage supporter Alice Dalton and stained glass artist Edward Cutler, both from well-to-do families. They rebel against the restrictions of their lives, hoping to escape their pasts in search of their independence. This is an enjoyable little tale with some well drawn, likeable characters. It’s well researched - I found the social history aspect fascinating and loved learning about the making of stained glass windows. It touches on the suffragette movement which I also found interesting. The story itself is eloquently written and flows along nicely. The only quibble I have is with the ending as I’m not sure people would’ve been so accepting during this period in time. I can’t say more due to spoilers but perhaps there will be a sequel. An engaging, charming and easy read which should appeal to historical fiction fans. I look forward to reading more by Clare Flynn.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

June

Post by Vanessa » Tue July 4th, 2023, 8:00 am

Here’s my list for June:

The Sultan’s Wife by Jane Johnson
A fascinating historical adventure set in 17thC Morocco whichtells the tale of two slaves, that of eunuch Nus Nus and kidnapped Englishwoman, Alys Swan. I enjoyed this book although it is quite violent. Henry VIII has nothing on the Sultan of Morocco! It’s well written with a good sense of time and place. Some vivid descriptions, too. I liked the main character of Nus Nus. There is a love story but it’s only part of Nus Nus’s journey. Well worth the read.

Marple by Various
A collection of twelve short stories featuring Agatha Christie’s Miss Marple reimagined by various authors. I’m not a huge fan of short stories as they are not usually ‘meaty’ enough for me but when I saw ‘Marple’ on the Pigeonhole app, I thought I’d give it a go! Some mysteries are definitely better than others. My favourites are Miss Marple’s Christmas by Ruth Ware and The Mystery of the Acid Soil by Kate Mosse. I prefer the mysteries set in a village location as these seem to have more of a feel and the essence of the Miss Marple I know and love. Miss Marple Takes Manhatten has too many Americanisms for my liking - Miss Marple would not use the word ‘panhandle’ as she is a typically English elderly lady who was born at the beginning of the 20thC. The Open Mind is set in a university and this also didn’t fit the Miss Marple mould for me. In some stories Miss Marple is almost peripheral to the plot, a background character where normally we are very aware of her. However, I do think the authors are brave to try to emulate such a well loved sleuth, so hats off to them.

The Whispering Muse by Laura Purcell
This is an atmospheric gothic, Victorian mystery set in the world of theatre. It’s well written, creepy and quite macabre in places with a supernatural element. There are some fascinating characters who, together with an intriguing plot, set the scene for a very enjoyable read.

The East Indian by Brinda Charry
Set in the 17thC, an exciting historical adventure story based on the life of a real person, the first East Indian to set foot on American soil. Tony travels from the Coromandel coast, to the streets of London and then on to Virginia in the New World in the hope of a new life. He makes friends and enemies along the bumpy ride of a way. This is an imaginative and evocative tale with some fascinating and well drawn characters. I liked Tony and enjoyed following him on his journey. It’s not always a happy story and it’s quite dark at times, but still there is a smattering of hope throughout. It’s beautifully written, well researched and has some vivid and colourful descriptions, quite easy to visualise. I read this via the Pigeonhole app over ten days and was eager to read each stave. An absorbing and powerful read.

Beneath a Copper Sky by Valerie Poore
Angela and Stephen temporarily move to South Africa to take over the care of a remote farm. It seems a dream come true but appearances can be deceiving. I read this with my reading group. Our theme this time was the African continent. This story fitted the bill very well. It’s well written and easy to read with some fantastic and vivid descriptions of South Africa. I enjoyed travelling with Stephen and Angela on their journey and don’t blame them for wanting to settle there, even with all the apartheid trouble which was going on in the 1980s which is when this book was set. An excellent read.

The River King by Alice Hoffman
When the body of a student from Haddan School is found floating in the river which divides the town, it causes ripples which have far reaching affects. I quite enjoyed this story. It’s very descriptive and very much a slow burner. Not a lot happens really apart from the death of a boy who has been bullied. I was a little disappointed with the ending as I didn’t think justice had been served. It’s well written though, very Alice Hoffman with its magical realism feel.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Juiy

Post by Vanessa » Fri August 4th, 2023, 1:19 pm

Here’s my list for July:

Don’t Swipe Right by L M Chilton
Gwen is a barista and is in possession of her own caravan come cafe down near the seafront in Eastbourne. In her spare time she surfs a dating app called Connector where she sets up dates with unsuitable men. Unfortunately for Gwen they all appear to end up dead….. which isn’t ideal! I found this a lighthearted and entertaining read if a little surreal and bonkers! It’s not a story to be taken seriously. It’s fast paced, full of madcap action and crazy characters. I enjoyed the ride, it’s quite exhilarating in fact! I would recommend it as a good beach read. So, just lay back on your sunbed with a cocktail in hand, disengage brain and go with the flow. It’s a laugh a minute!

The Housekeepers by Alex Hay
The servants in a prestigious house in Mayfair are plotting an elaborate heist. To all intents and purposes it’s going to be the crime of the century if all goes to plan. Will they pull it off? Pick up the book to find out! This is an unusual and fascinating tale, it’s very different. It’s written in the present tense in a quirky and engaging style. It’s full of colourful, well drawn characters. The Edwardian era is depicted wonderfully, giving a great sense of time and place. The plot is quite complicated - there’s a lot going on at the same time so some concentration is needed. If I did have to nitpick I would say that I found the pace a little slow at times but, nevertheless, it’s a very enjoyable read. I read this book via the Pigeonhole app, one stave at a time over a period of ten days. Reading other pigeons’ thoughts adds to the fun especially with a story like this one! 🙂

The House of Whispers by Anna Mazzola
Set just before WWII in Italy, a pianist becomes the wife of a widower and finds herself involved in his house’s sinister secrets. This is a well written gothic style drama with a hint of the supernatural. Some interesting characters and an intriguing plot combined with good attention to detail set the scene for an engaging and page turning story. A very enjoyable read.

The Other Side of Mrs Wood by Lucy Barker
Set in Victorian London, this tells the tale of the rivalry between two mediums, the established Mrs Wood and Mrs Wood’s protégé and newcomer Miss Finch. This is a beautifully written and atmospheric story which I read via the Pigeonhole app. There is a modicum of humour and it touches on women’s suffrage. The descriptions of London are very vivid and the characters realistic and well drawn. There is even some intrigue and suspense. A compelling, entertaining, witty and interesting read which I can very much recommend. Illusion is everything, my friend.

Sherlock Holmes and the Rosetta Stone Mystery by Linda Stratmann
The first in the Early Casebook of Sherlock Holmes series featuring Mr Stamford, a medical student, as Holmes’ sidekick. The Rosetta Stone has been stolen from the British Museum but how and by whom? This is a cosy, atmospherically written and entertaining mystery. There are some well drawn characters, including Holmes, whose personality is spot on - the author has really hit the nail on the head as Holmes seems very true to the original. Mr Stamford makes an interesting and likeable assistant and I’m looking forward to getting to know him more in future books. The plot is an intriguing one and flows along enjoyably. A good start to a new (to me) series.

Night Train to Marrakech by Dinah Jeffries
The final book in the Daughters of War trilogy, this one is set in Marrakech during the 1960s. A young woman travels to Morocco to visit her estranged grandmother and finds herself embroiled in murder! This is a lovely story. It’s very visual and the descriptions are so vivid, I almost felt as if I was there on the streets and in the souks of Marrakech. The writing really brought the place to life. I was very immersed in the lives of these characters, all of whom were well drawn and realistic. The plot is gripping, it really is a page turner. I have read the first book in the trilogy but not the second. I will definitely be remedying this in due course. It’s a thoroughly enjoyable, engaging and engrossing read! If you love stories about families and secrets set in exotic countries, you’ll adore this one.

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
Set in South America, a party is arranged for a businessman at the home of a vice president where a famous opera singer will be appearing. Events come to a halt when the guests are held hostage by a group of terrorists. There are rave reviews for this book but although I may personally be raving mad 😁, I did not rave myself. Not my cup of tea. I didn’t particularly enjoy the writing style and for the most part it was a bit of a slog. Nothing really happened and what an odd ending! It probably has the message of being thankful for what you have and making the most of it as you never know what’s around the corner. I can vouch for that. Always watch your back.

The Dive by Sara Ochs
Set on the island of Koh Sang in Thailand, which is home to a diving club, life is not always as idyllic as it appears. When a group of first time divers head out for the deep, there is a gruesome surprise at the bottom of the sea. It’s a story where no-one is whom they seem and secrets are the name of the game. I enjoyed this thriller for the most part. There are plenty of twists and turns with the odd red herring. It keeps you guessing right until the last couple of chapters. There are a variety of characters, not always likeable, and it’s well written. My only niggle is that I found the conclusion a little far fetched for my liking. Nevertheless, there is a twist in the tale which took me by surprise and this redeems it somewhat. An exciting, fast paced and entertaining rollercoaster of a ride.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

August

Post by Vanessa » Mon September 4th, 2023, 12:17 pm

Here’s my list for August:

I Know It’s You by Susan Lewis
When publisher Marina Forster receives and reads the first chapter of a manuscript written by an anonymous author, she realises she’s in for something more than she bargained for. She really doesn’t need for this book to be published and as the chapters keep being delivered, she finds herself on a race against time. I found this story intriguing and entertaining. I liked the book within a book aspect. It kept me turning the pages. There are a fair few characters within both storylines and sometimes it was a little difficult keeping them within their separate boxes. However, I enjoyed the cat and mouse chase, galloping along to quite an ambiguous ending. I read this book via the Pigeonhole app over ten days and I looked forward every day to each stave. An all round fun and engaging read.

The Black Crescent by Jane Johnson
Set in 1950s Morocco, Hamou Badi begins life in the mountain village of Tiziane. He has the magical signs of the zouhry on his hands. One day he discovers a body, obviously a murder but it remains unsolved. This leads him to becoming a policeman in Casablanca which is occupied by the French. All Hamou wants to do is help people but as the nationalist uprising grows, he finds himself on the wrong side of the law. I know very little, if anything, about Moroccan history so this story was quite an eye opener. It was fascinating to learn about the era, customs and the cuisine. It was very vividly described and depicted, so much so I almost felt I was there and could nearly taste the food. I loved Hamou, he was such a great character. Even the delightful cat, Madani, played a strong role. I enjoyed following their journeys and Hamou’s trials and tribulations. It’s very much a page turner, quite the adventure story. I highly recommend this gripping, compelling and, may I say it, educational read.

The Fascination by Essie Fox
Set during the Victorian era in the world of fairgrounds and theatres, this tells the story of twins, Keziah and Tilly, who are identical apart from their size, and Theo who has been abandoned by his grandfather, Lord Seabrook. Lord Seabrook has a fascination for the ‘freaks‘ of nature so when the twins’ and Theo’s lives collide, it leads them into a frightening situation. The Fascination is definitely a fascinating and darkly gothic tale. It’s mysterious, atmospheric and even contains some horror. It’s a story of secrets and about being different in a time when anything out of the norm was seen as a ‘freak’. It’s beautifully and skillfully written. The imagery is wonderful. There’s an underlying thread of creepiness and a hint of the macabre woven into the plot. The characters are colourful, my favourite being Theo. I was totally immersed in their quite disturbing and peculiar world. There is a little twist at the end which i hadn’t guessed at all. Very clever! An engaging, insightful and extremely enjoyable read.

Fair Rosaline by Natasha Solomons
An interesting retelling of Shakespeare’s famous star-crossed lovers, Romeo & Juliet. I’m not much of a Shakespeare fan and only know the basic outline of the story of Romeo & Juliet. So, from where I’m standing, this one is a compelling and different take on it. It’s well written and reimagined. Romeo is shown in quite a disturbing light, definitely not a romantic hero or a pleasant person. He’s depicted as a predatory older man intent on getting his own way. I did get somewhat irritated with both Rosaline and Juliet at times. It takes a long time for the penny to drop for them to realise just what a rotter Romeo really is. Love is blind as Shakespeare suggests. However, I like the alternative ending, not quite as tragic as the original. All in all an enjoyable and engaging read.

The Belladonna Maze by Sinead Crowley
A multi timeframe story set in Ireland. It starts in 1825 where we meet Deidre FitzMahon, daughter of the owner of Hollowpark House. In 2007 Grace, who is a nanny, moves from Greece to Ireland to look after three year old Skye FitzMahon. Events come to light about the disappearance of a teenager in 1973. Grace starts to see faces at windows of Hollowpark and mysterious ghostly figures. Can it all be connected? I very much enjoyed this intriguing tale. I hadn’t realised it had a supernatural element when I started reading it but as the spectral side of it emerged, I was gripped and I thought it was very well done. I loved the thought of the maze and the tower, they put me in mind of the Minotaur and Rapunzel! It’s evocatively written with some vivid descriptions and some great characters. I liked how the three timelines interconnected. It was all pulled together wonderfully. The ending is maybe a little too neatly tied up but don’t let this detract from the enjoyment of this book. It’s fiction at the end of the day where anything goes. An engaging, atmospheric and compelling ghost story about secrets and about how the past can catch up with you. Hollowpark looks after its own.

The Book of Fire by Christy Lefteri
Set in Greece just after an out of control fire takes hold of a forest, destroying a town and devastated its citizens, The Book of Fire tells the story of a family recovering from the aftermath, the shockwaves and the repercussions following such a tragic event. It’s quite a slow burner and a little melancholic, but beautifully and lyrically written at the same time. It’s thought provoking as well as being a thoughtful read. I read it via the Pigeonhole app, a stave a day over ten days. It helped greatly to read along with other pigeons whilst digesting such an emotional and touching tale of survival. It’s also a story which resonates with today’s world, one of caution and taking note of the consequences of our actions.

The King’s Jewel by Elizabeth Chadwick
The story of a Welsh princess and a Norman knight set in the 12thC. An excellent piece of historical fiction about lesser known characters. Well written and researched, I found it gripping and was eager to pick up the book to read on. It combines fact with fiction making for a fascinating and informative read.

The Paris Apartment by Lucy Foley
Jess arrives in Paris to visit her brother, Ben, only to find he has disappeared without a trace from the apartment building where he lives. Trying to discover just what has happened to him and his whereabouts, Jess comes across some mysterious neighbours who are not very forthcoming and an even weirder concierge. She soon finds herself in the midst of some very peculiar goings on. I have to admit to finding this completely gripping. I found it such a page turner, I literally couldn’t put it down. Rosemary’s Baby meets Thoroughly Modern Millie springs to mind, if only just the vibes. The apartment building even has a creepy laundry room in the basement complete with wine cellar. There are plenty of twists and turns and it kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. I did guess a few of them but loved the twist at the end. Full of oddball and eccentric characters, an entertaining plot line and with an atmospheric setting, this makes for a fun and riveting psychological thriller. I loved it.

Cogrill’s Mill by Jack Lindsey
Set in the English countryside, this is a story/parody about a man, his mill, his cider and his eclectic group of friends. And it’s all quite bizarre. The characters are zany, some of them with ridiculous sounding names. They did make me smile, I have to admit. Winchester the dog is the only sensible character in my opinion. The plotline is madness itself, definitely looney tunes! It’s peculiar but told with a sense of humour and is strangely compelling as I had to read to the end. It contains a bit of all sorts: romance, murder, intrigue… The conclusion is a little abrupt, leaving the reader with questions unanswered and unresolved. Perhaps there will be a sequel….? 🤔🫣. A fun but surreal read.

A Bird in Winter by Louise Doughty
A tale of espionage. Heather aka ‘Bird’ goes on the run after suspecting her boss of double dealings implicating her. She finds herself in a race against time as she is hunted from pillar to post across the UK and the Nordic countries. I very much enjoyed this story. It’s quite a slow burner with a hint of suspense, the tension building gradually. It’s not fast paced but Bird’s journey is definitely full of danger. It’s like a travelogue, really, and gives a great insight into the countries she visits. It’s beautifully written with some vivid descriptions of the landscape. I found it different to normal psychological thrillers or even spy novels but gripping nevertheless. Bird is an interesting character and I loved accompanying her on her perilous adventure. The ending is a little ambiguous - I hope she finds peace somewhere! An exciting and compelling read.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

September

Post by Vanessa » Thu October 5th, 2023, 8:15 am

Here’s my list for September:

The Bullet That Missed by Richard Osman
The third in the Thursday Murder club where the amateur sleuths are those living in a retirement home. In this episode they are investigating the disappearance of journalist Bethany Waite over 10 years ago. A great addition to an entertaining series with some fantastic characters. I’m looking forward to book four, The Last Devil to Die.

A Disappearance in Fiji by Nilima Rao
Set in 1914, as punishment disgraced Sergeant Akal Singh is sent from Hong Kong to Fiji to investigate the disappearance of a young indentured Indian woman. Is she a runaway or has she been kidnapped? Or is it something more sinister! I enjoyed this engaging historical mystery. I don’t think I’ve read a story set in Fiji before so it was lovely to visit such a colourful country. The descriptions of the landscape, the way of life, the characters and racism in a colony are vividly penned. It’s quite an eye opener in its way. The mystery itself is intriguing and I always wanted to turn the pages to read on. I liked the short newspaper snippets between the chapters - they give a good feeling and air of authenticity. Well written and put together, I found this a worthwhile and compelling, easy read. I look forward to Akal’s next adventure!

Snowblind by Ragnar Jonasson
The first in the Dark Iceland series, Ari Thor Arason is a new policeman who has taken up his first posting in SigIufjordur where a young woman has been found bleeding in the snow and a writer has fallen to his death in mysterious circumstances. I quite enjoyed this. It’s a little slow to start with but it starts to pick up pace a quarter or so of the way in. I liked the setting and the character of Ari Thor, the policeman. There was a real sense of isolation and it was well plotted. A few twists and turns which kept me turning the pages.

The Mysterious Double Death of Honey Black by Lisa Hall
A timeslip story set mostly during 1949 in the golden age of Hollywood. Lily Jones has been transported from 2019 where she works as a maid at the Beverley Hills Hotel to the same hotel but 70 years previously, where she finds herself working for the glamorous actress, Honey Black. From what Lily knows, Honey is due to be murdered by person/persons unknown in two weeks time. Can Lily save Honey and change the course of history. This is a fun mystery with some fascinating characters. The plot rolls along nicely and I loved that some of the peripheral actors are real life ones. The descriptions of Beverley Hills during the 1940s seems well done and researched, it’s easy to picture it in my mind. The razzle dazzle, the glamour and the excitement of Hollywood shines through. I worked out who the culprit was quite early on but this in no way detracts from the rest of the story. An entertaining and engaging read set in a bygone era. It should delight historical mystery/thriller fans. I certainly enjoyed it.

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus
Set in the 1960s where we meet Elizabeth Zott who isn’t your average woman. She works as a chemist among an all-male team at Hastings Research Institute. She has an unusual approach to life, not always approved of. I loved this! I very much enjoyed joining Elizabeth on her journey, along with her daughter, Mad, and dog, Six-Thirty. I was so sad to turn the final page. It’s heartwarming as well as moving. Elizabeth is an interesting character, slightly off centre. And what a wonderful dog Six-Thirty is! Very wise. I’m going to miss them all!

The Figurine by Victoria Hislop
Each year during the summer holidays Helena goes to stay with her grandparents in Athens. She loves her grandmother but is never quite sure of her grandfather who appears a rather aloof man. When she inherits their apartment she discovers a collection of valuables and antique artefacts amongst her grandfather’s belongings. How did he come to possess them and what is the history behind them? As Helena delves deeper into the past she opens up a whole can of worms concerning the looting of cultural treasures and discovers just what a cruel man her grandfather was. I enjoyed this story. I loved the descriptions of Greece, the archaeological digs and the relics. It was very vividly depicted. I feel I have learnt something. Who says reading fiction can’t be educational?! It’s well researched and the tale is proficiently plotted and written in an uncomplicated style. I liked Helena although she did appear a little naive at times. I found it an easy, engaging and absorbing read, a story to immerse yourself in and imagine yourself there walking through the columns of the Parthenon.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Re: Vanessa’s 2023 Reads

Post by Madeleine » Mon October 9th, 2023, 3:59 pm

Good reviews, Lessons in Chemistry has been made into a TV series, I think it's on Apple but might be one of the others.

Ragnar Jonasson has another series featuring a woman detective, Hilda someone I think (it's a while since I read it!), I've only read the first one but the ending is a corker.....worth checking out, I've read the first two in the Dark Iceland series and they are good.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2022”