Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Vanessa’s 2022 Reads

What have you read this year? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Vanessa’s 2022 Reads

Post by Vanessa » Thu February 3rd, 2022, 9:40 am

Here’s my list for January:

The Christmas Invitation by Trisha Ashley
Meg is commissioned by a well known novelist to paint her portrait. She is invited to stay at her house in the Lancashire countryside in the run up to Christmas. The house is an old Gothic Victorian place and lends itself well to the season. An old flame turns up and things get a little tense. This is an entertaining festive read, a little mad at times but the characters are quirky and colourful. It’s easy to read and heartwarming. Just right for the time of year!

Little Wing by Freya North
Set in Colchester, Camden and the Isle of Harris, this is is a story of two strangely connected families. It’s told by way of Nell and Dougie, a couple of misplaced people, beginning in 1969 and spanning nearly four decades. It’s beautifully and lyrically written. The vivid descriptions of Harris really made me want to visit, they are so evocative and atmospheric. It’s an emotional read and really tugs at your heartstrings. It’s a tale about love, friendship, acceptance, forgiveness and finding out where you belong in the world. I have one negative viewpoint - although I really enjoyed Little Wing, for me it did drag a little in the middle but, ultimately, it is heartwarming and poignant. It’s the first time I’ve read a book by Freya North for quite a few years so it was lovely to revisit this author’s writing via the Pigeonhole app. I look forward to seeing what else she has in store!

The Key in the Lock by Beth Underdown
A dual timeframe gothic mystery set in Cornwall. In 1888 seven year old William is found dead under a bed at Polneath as the result of a fire. In 1918 Ivy is mourning the death of her son, Tim, whilst at the same time being haunted by events of the past. Can she piece together and discover what really happened all those years ago? This is an eerie and beautifully written story. It is something of a slow burner but I found it very compelling even so. It really draws you in to its murky depths! It’s quite a dark tale and very atmospheric with some sinister overtones. It has a good sense of time and place. There is a great cast of fascinating characters, not always particularly likeable. It reminded me a little of Daphne du Maurier’s Rebecca at times. Always a winner for me! An intriguing and absorbing mystery which had me gripped until the last page.

Finding Edith Pinsent by Hazel Ward
This is the second book in the Netta’s World series. Netta has been asked to go through Edith Pinsent’s diaries and belongings, Edith being the previous owner of Netta’s house. All sorts of secrets are uncovered whilst, at the same time, Netta is dealing with all the worries and challenges in her own life. I loved Finding Netta Wilde so I was looking forward to reading Finding Edith Pinsent. It didn’t disappoint! I thought it was a fabulous read. It’s full of likeable characters and it was great to revisit some I’d already met. Edith’s diaries take the reader back to the days of WWII which I thought was very realistically written and gave a good insight into the world at that time. The two timelines sometimes resonate with each other for Netta, making her think about her own life. It’s quite an emotional story full of secrets and the trials and tribulations of being human. Well, that‘s life! So, open your arms, close your eyes and taste the sky as Edith says. A wonderful, inspiring and captivating read.

Romance at the Sweet Shop of Second Chances by Hannah Lynn
The second in the Holly Berry Sweet Shop series. Holly has settled back in to the village of Bourton-on-the-Water in the Cotswolds and her sweet shop has really taken off like space dust! Her life seems to be set on course with romance in the offing, but will a blast from the past thwart the path to true love? I enjoyed meeting up with Holly and her friends again. They are a fun and likeable cast of characters. This is an entertaining sequel to the first book, The Sweet Shop of Second Chances, a sweet little tale without being too sugar coated. It has a frosting of realism in the form of the importance of friendship and a sprinkling of romance in the form of Ben, the bank manager. Well written, easy and engaging, it’s well worth the read especially whilst devouring a bag of pick’n’mix!

The Twyford Code by Janice Hallett
This tale begins with a children’s storybook written by a famous banned author. It’s found on a bus by Stephen Smith who begins to believe that it holds secret messages and puzzles, all connected to the disappearance of his remedial English teacher and the mystery of the Twyford Code. Will Stephen crack the code and solve the puzzle of Miss Isle’s exodus? I thought this book was brilliant, it’s so very clever. I loved the way it’s written and narrated in the form of audio files. It’s very different, unique. There are nods to Enid Blyton, Douglas Adams, William Holding and Kit Williams. I never knew quite what was going on and it had my head in a whirl trying to work the code out. It definitely takes you on a wild goose chase and a thrilling adventure. A gripping and exhilarating read. Sit back and enjoy the ride!

The Couple at the Table by Sophie Hannah
A murder mystery set in a luxury holiday resort where all the guests are suspects and all the guests could not possibly have committed the crime! Whilst I quite enjoyed this story, at the same time I thought it was a little long winded and somewhat contrived. In fact, it became quite bizarre. There are nods to Agatha Christie and I enjoyed this aspect of it - interviewing the suspects and then getting them altogether at the end to reveal the murderer. It just took a long time to get there and the plot kept going off at tangents! I don’t think this is one of Sophie Hannah’s better books, but it’s entertaining nevertheless.

The Maid by Nita Prose
Molly Gray is a maid at the Regency Grand Hotel and she cleans the guests’ bedrooms to perfection. One day Molly finds one of the guests dead in his room and she is accused of his murder. What will Molly do next? What a wonderful book! I really loved Molly as a character. She’s quirky, endearing and definitely a little off centre. “We are all the same in our different ways.” There is a great cast of peripheral characters, too. I was gripped from the very beginning and found it difficult to put down, a real page turner. It’s well written with an engaging plot - it’s what I would describe as a cosy mystery. An excellent debut which I can highly recommend. Entertaining and fun. “Everything will be okay at the end. If it’s not okay, it’s not the end.” Life definitely does have a way of working itself out!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

February

Post by Vanessa » Thu March 3rd, 2022, 10:42 pm

Here’s my list for February:

House of Footsteps by Mathew West
Simon Christie travels to Thistlecrook House on the Scottish Borders to catalogue an intriguing art collection belonging to the Mordrake family. But all is not what it seems….. This is an atmospheric and creepy gothic style story. I enjoyed the style of writing, it’s perfect for the type of book it is. The story draws you in slowly. I really didn’t know what was going on and I’m not that sure I knew by the conclusion either! Even so, I found it very compelling and was eager to turn the pages. There are hints of the supernatural as well as black magic, all adding to the suspense. A great all round eerie tale set in a spooky old house. What’s not to like?

The Kingdoms by Natasha Pulley
An alternative world, time travelling adventure set in London (but not as you know it) among other places (like a lighthouse) during and after the Napoleonic wars. I enjoyed this story but I did get quite confused at times. It needs some concentration as it took quite a bit of working out. Nevertheless I found it quite gripping and thought it was cleverly written. There were some great characters - I particularly liked Kite, he was fascinating and I thought his name suited him to a tee. There were also some surprises along the way and I loved how it all came together at the end. If you enjoy a brain frazzler of a novel containing fantasy as well as historical fiction, this one is for you! Give it a whirl! It definitely takes you on a magical mystery tour even if it does leave you with a headache.

The Silver Wolf by J C Harvey
A gripping adventure story set during the Thirty Years War in 17thC Europe. Jean Fiskado vows to avenge his father’s death and his journey takes him from France to Amsterdam and then on to the battlefields of Germany. I thought this was a fabulous read. It’s a real rollercoaster of a ride. It’s fast paced and beautifully written with some wonderful and vibrant characters. I especially liked Jack/Jag/Jacques. Historical fact is combined with fiction to create a fantastic and extraordinary story. The descriptions are very vivid and the attention to detail is impressive. I could picture it easily in my mind, it has a very good sense of time and place. It’s very much a page turner, action packed. I was gripped from beginning to end and I can’t recommend it enough! I believe The Silver Wolf is the first in a planned trilogy so I’m looking forward very much to book two. I can’t wait to find out what happens to Jack Fiskardo next!

Corrag by Susan Fletcher
Corrag has been imprisoned, accused of witchcraft, for her involvement in the Glencoe Massacre of 1692. She is visited by Charles Leslie, a propagandist and Jacobite. She tells him her story and he begins to see her in a different light. I enjoyed this story although the writing didn’t always flow for me. A certain amount of concentration is needed. It’s quite a sad tale but an interesting one. It gives a good insight into the Glencoe Massacre, an event which I didn’t know much about. It’s very vivid and descriptive, giving a good sense of time and place. Corrag is a fascinating character, quite otherworldly and I was interested to discover she actually existed and was and is venerated by the Highland people even today. She was quite a brave lady.

Frenchman’s Creek by Daphne du Maurier
An exciting and romantic adventure story set in Cornwall about a gentlewoman and a pirate. Daphne du Maurier is one of my favourite authors and I just love her writing. This story is written very vividly, so much so I could imagine myself there on the banks of Frenchman’s Creek or on a boat sailing away down the river into sea. It’s a great tale to take you away from the trials and tribulations of life. You can’t beat a swashbuckling pirate adventure story!

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

March

Post by Vanessa » Tue April 5th, 2022, 7:38 pm

Here’s my list for March:

The Warring Heart by Ros Rendle
The second in the Strong Family series set during WWI, The Warring Heart tells the tale of Pretoria Redfern and Nathaniel Moor, both of whom are disillusioned with love so enter a marriage of convenience with each other. This is an enjoyable and well written romantic saga story. The narrative flows pleasingly and kept my attention throughout. I’ve read the first book in the series, Sisters at War, and love that I had the opportunity to revisit some of the delightful characters inhabiting the Strong family world. It was great to find out how they were getting on! The historical side of the story is well described and the attention to detail is excellent without being too graphic, especially with regards to the war sections. If you enjoy a gentle and easy read set in a bygone era, you’ll love this one!

Reputation by Sarah Vaughan
MP Emma Webster is the subject of trolling and online abuse. However, when her daughter, Flora, starts to be bullied at school and then a man is found dead
at the bottom of Emma’s stairs, things take a turn for the worse and Emma finds herself on trial for murder. It’s a did she/didn’t she scenario. She is determined to protect her family and her reputation at all costs. I very much enjoyed this story. It’s quite a tense and suspenseful read. It really had me on the edge of my seat at times. It made think about how precarious life is, especially if a person is in the public eye - there’s nowhere to hide! It’s well written with some realistic and strong characters, not always very likeable I have to say. I found it engrossing, absorbing and thought provoking. And quite the page turner. If you enjoy courtroom style thrillers, you’ll love this one!

Mothers and Daughters by Erica James
A delightful family drama revolving around a mother and her two daughters (as the title suggests!). Naomi still lives in Anchor House which overlooks the sea, rebuilding her life after the death of her husband. Her chalk and cheese daughters, Martha and Willow, live with their respective partners but not all is happy in their worlds. It’s a tale of the secrets we keep and how those secrets reverberate and affect those around us. This is a very enjoyable story about family dynamics. I loved the characters of Naomi and her two daughters. They seemed very realistic and believable. I cared about them. It’s a beautifully written tale, covering some serious issues as well as being entertaining and easy to read. The coastal setting for Anchor House sounded idyllic and it wasn’t difficult to transport myself and imagine walking along the beach at Tilsham. I’ve been a fan of Erica James’ work for quite a number of years now and they never disappoint. I found Mothers & Daughters a captivating, engaging and compelling read. I can highly recommend it.

Stepping Up by Sarah Turner
When Beth’s brother-in-law dies and her sister is unconscious in hospital in a comatose state after an accident, she steps up to look after their children. Having had no previous experience of childcare and being a little scatterbrained, life suddenly turns into pandemonium. I love a good family drama story and this one definitely fitted the bill. It’s a lovely, heartwarming tale which made me chuckle along the way. There are some wonderful characters and I especially liked Beth. She’s so chaotic, she reminds me a little of myself! It’s beautifully written with some emotional and moving moments. It brought a tear to my eye at times. An uplifting and touching read which is sure to warm the cockles of your heart.

The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes
In 1937 newly married Alice leaves England for Kentucky in hope of a better life with her handsome American husband, Bennett. But not all goes to plan and Alice ends up unhappy. She decides to join four other women and become part of the travelling library which delivers books on horseback, a system devised by Eleanor Roosevelt. They became known as the Packhorse Librarians of Kentucky. This is the story of their lives during this period in time. What a wonderful book! There are some fantastic characters. I especially liked Margery - I could picture her vividly in my mind. It has a good plotline - it’s quite the page turner and I was gripped from beginning to end. A very enjoyable, well written, interesting and absorbing read.

Exile by Sarah Bourne
Kirstie has exiled herself on Yell, one of the Shetland Islands, after a distrastrous affair with a married man which ended in difficult circumstances. She’s living in a croft which once belonged to her grandparents and where her estranged mother, Morag, grew up. She starts to learn about her mother’s history and tries to come to terms with her own childhood. Then Morag decides to return to Yell. Will there be a reconciliation? I enjoyed this story. It’s quite a slow burner where the reader is gradually drawn in and fed small pieces of information, building up to a twist in the end. There are some interesting and complex characters. I didn’t particularly like Kirstie and Morag, but Ishbel and Duncan more than made up for them. It’s a tale of guilty secrets, misunderstandings and forgiveness. It’s about how the past comes back to haunt us and can make us behave in irrational and unfathomable ways. A well written, thought provoking tale and a great analysis of human nature. A worthwhile read.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

April

Post by Vanessa » Mon May 9th, 2022, 7:54 am

Here’s my list for April:

Smoke & Cracked Mirrors by Karen Charlton
This is the first in the York Ladies Detective Agency Mysteries set during WWII. Two young women, Jemma James and Bobbie Baker, decide to set up their own private investigation agency and find themselves involved in all sorts of shenanigans and even murder. I enjoyed this fun and entertaining story. I liked Jemma and Bobbie, I thought they were delightful. I love that this series is set in York and surrounding areas, places I know very well. I could picture it all so easily in my mind! There’s quite a lot going on in this mystery, but it’s well paced and written. It definitely kept me turning the pages until the end. An engaging and intriguing read. I look forward to the next book in the series!

The Trial of Lotta Rae by Siobhan MacGowan
Set in London during the time of the Suffragettes, a 15 year old girl is attacked by an affluent gentleman. The case goes to court in the hands of barrister William Linden. When things don’t go the girl’s way, her life is never the same again and she finds herself in pursuit of vengeance. This is such a fabulous read and wonderfully written, too. It’s very evocative of the era it’s set in, having a great sense of time and place. It’s quite a dark and harrowing tale but extremely compelling. It combines fact with fiction beautifully with the suffragette movement cleverly woven into the plot. The characters are well written and believable, especially Lotta. I did feel for her plight and I did shed the odd tear or two. A gripping and captivating story which I can thoroughly recommend to historical fiction and thriller readers both!

The Mermaid of Black Conch by Monique Roffey
When a mermaid is captured near the island of Black Conch, a fisherman rescues her and tries to help her. She slowly changes into a woman and they fall in love. But, as she is cursed and tensions rise in Black Conch, she finds she cannot remain on the island forever. Sadly, I didn’t enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. I found it a bit of a slog to be honest. It reminded me a little of the films ‘Miranda’ and ‘Splash’ but with a darker overtone. It’s quite a sad story which dwelled on the ignorance of people when coming across someone who is different. It was OK but I wouldn’t rave about it.

Bitter Trade by Piers Alexander
Set during the reign of James II and the Glorious Revolution, Calumny Spinks wants to be apprenticed to a trade but his father refuses to grant his wish. It appears Peter Spinks has a secret, one which sees them both travelling to London after the unwarranted death of Calumny’s mother. Calumny becomes a coffee racketeer and when Peter’s past catches up with him in the form of a blackmailer, they find themselves in a race against time to gather the money together to make payment. I mostly enjoyed this book. I did find it confusing at times as there were so many characters and I found the writing style a little disjointed. It’s quite the romp through a tumultuous period in history. It reminded me somewhat of Game of Thrones on occasion. I enjoyed the historical side to it and thought there was a good sense of time and place. It was all well described. All in all, I found The Bitter Trade a fast paced and exciting adventure story with a fascinating cast of characters. I understand it’s the first in a trilogy so am interested in reading the next book in the series, Scatterwood.

The Spa Break by Caroline James
Four friends, all in their sixties, embark on a weekend away together at the luxury Sparadise Hotel. They are promised a few days of rest and relaxation but, as the way of these things, instead they experience life changing moments. This is an entertaining and enjoyable story with some very zany characters and plenty of amusing antics. It’s a laugh a minute. The pace fair rattles along and I found myself avidly turning the pages in anticipation of what would happen next. There is plenty to keep one occupied at the Sparadise Hotel from yoga lessons to makeovers and even a spot of glamping and naturism to boot. One is never too old to tango! A fun and witty read just right for the young at heart. I might even book a room there myself! 😜

Vanessa

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

May

Post by Vanessa » Tue June 7th, 2022, 7:11 pm

Here’s my list for May:

Thrown of Sara Cox
The story of four women who live in the same town and meet at the local pottery club. They start to form a strong bond and try to sort each other’s troubled lives out. This is a lovely, lighthearted story about love, friendship and the art of moulding clay. It’s very much a character based book and what a wonderfully diverse bunch they are! Life would never be boring having this lot as neighbours. I enjoyed following each woman’s journey. I loved the descriptions of pottery making and it did make me want to search for a local group and get throwing. It’s an easy, humorous and engaging read but with some serious threads running through it. It’s bound to appeal to many readers.

The Fields by Erin Young
Set in rural Iowa where a young woman’s body is found in a cornfield. It’s a family farm which is competing with one of the big giants of agriculture. When Sergeant Riley Fisher discovers the woman was a childhood friend, she soon gets herself embroiled into the investigation and the bodies begin to mount up. I’m in two minds about how I feel about this book. On the one hand it’s quite a gripping thriller, but on the other it’s a little too political for my tastes. I found it a slog at times. I thought the setting was well depicted and atmospheric. It’s also well written. The plot, however, is somewhat complicated and concentration is needed. There are a few surprises along the way. I’m not a big fan of police procedural novels or serial killer chillers, but I can see that this one would appeal to quite a few enthusiasts of this genre. A worthy debut, all in all.

Moving by Jenny Eclair
Edwina Spinner has decided to see the house she has lived in for over 50 years. As she shows the estate agent round, each room brings back memories and Edwina is transported back in time to the trials and tribulations of family life, revealing secrets along the way. I loved this story and thought it was really well written. It’s told in four different voices and they are very different. It’s a tale of reflection and reminiscing, also of family, love, betrayal and guilt. It’s the first book I’ve read by this author and it won’t be my last.

The Safe House by Louise Mumford
Esther has lived in a bunker away from the outside world with her mother for sixteen years. She’s always believed everything her mother has told her but one day a man visits the House and he seems to know who she is. Has her mother been lying to her all her life? This is a gripping psychological thriller. It’s well written, has an compelling plot line and a fascinating array of intriguing characters. In other words, it’s a real page turner! It kept my attention from beginning to end. It reminded me a little of Room by Emma Donoghue. I can’t comment much more without revealing spoilers, so suffice it to say I found it a thought provoking and very enjoyable read.

Cunning Women by Elizabeth Lee
Set not long after the Pendle Witch Trials of 1612, this tells the love story of Sarah Haworth, who is marked as a witch, Daniel, a farmer’s son, and their hope for a better future together. Cunning Women is quite a slow burner of a read. It gets off to a leisurely start and then the action begins to pick up from the middle of the book. It’s beautifully written and quite dark in its composition. It’s very atmospheric and occasionally put a shiver down my spine. It’s written in alternating voices, that of Sarah in the first person and Daniel in the third person. Sarah’s voice is so very believable and I felt for her and her family. It really brings to the fore the ignorance of people in this era. I can thoroughly recommend this engrossing and eerie story to those who enjoy their books on the darker side!

Retreat to the Spanish Sun by Jo Thomas
Eliza decides to spend a couple of weeks house sitting in Spain in order to finish her coursework. There are too many distractions at home, mainly three grown up children who have moved back in and seem to want her at their beck and call. Eliza just wants some peace but will she get it in Spain? This is a lovely, heartwarming story. It’s a delight to read, a real piece of escapism. The setting is wonderful and the characters charming. I feel I now have more knowledge of Iberico ham and pig farming - these adorable creatures are an integral part of the tale. There is a fair amount of humour and I found myself chuckling away at times. I would love to visit Juan’s cafe and sample his unusual tapas! 🥹. A fantastic book to take away with you whilst on holiday. It will definitely put you in the mood for sun, sea and sangria.

One of the Girls by Lucy Clarke
Six friends embark on a hen weekend to a secluded villa on a Greek island. They all have their own secrets and not everything is as it seems. It all ends in tragedy and death but for whom and why. This is an enjoyable psychological thriller. It’s quite a slow burner where the tension builds up gradually, gathers pace and then accelerates along to an exciting finish. There are plenty of twists and turns en route. I would say it’s quite character based and it’s easy to get a feel for each personality - a sign of a well written book in my opinion. They’re not all likeable - I don’t think I’d want to go on holiday with these girls! I didn’t guess the ending, either, another bonus. An intriguing and compelling read full of suspense and unease which kept my attention to the very last page.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

June

Post by Vanessa » Tue July 5th, 2022, 8:05 am

Here’s my list for June:

Away with the Penguins by Hazel Prior
A heartwarming and charming story about love, friendship, rediscovery, survival, the environment and, of course, penguins! Veronica McCreedy is 86 years old and she wants to leave her worldly goods to a good cause. She travels to the Antarctic to see if she can help the plight of the penguins. Veronica is a really cantankerous character but I grew to love her as the tale progressed and I learnt more about her life growing up and as a teenager. Her supporting cast are also a great bunch, very entertaining, especially Pip the penguin. It has an engaging and captivating storyline. It does take a little time to get in to, but once I did, I found it difficult to put down. Beautifully written, It was a delight to read - I enjoyed every minute of it and I can’t wait to read Call of the Penguins, the second book in the series.

Thea and Denise by Caroline Bond
Two women from different backgrounds and situations form an unlikely and surprising friendship and go on a road trip together. They are both running away from their pasts but can they run forever. This story is reminiscent of Thelma and Louise and is obviously inspired by it. I really enjoyed it. I loved the bond between the two women and their interaction. Some of their adventures are quite funny! I especially liked it when they ended up in Bamburgh in Northumberland, a place I know quite well. It’s a well written tale with plenty to engage the reader. It’s definitely about the power of friendship and having the courage to take the bull by the horns. Quite a powerful read, really. A page turner.

The Good Servant by Fern Britton
Based on the life of Marion Crawford or ‘Crawfie’ as she was also known amongst the upper circles, Crawfie being the governess to the Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret. This story tells of her rise and her downfall whilst working for the royal family. I really enjoyed this book. I found it interesting and informative. I’d actually never heard of Marion Crawford before reading The Good Servant and ended up doing a little bit of delving into her history myself. It’s quite a sad tale, one where I was on the fence about how I felt about Crawfie. Even thought I think the author is fairly sympathetic to her cause, I didn’t know whether to be sorry for Crawfie and think her very naive, or whether to assume she was a schemer who decided to go for gold. I eventually came to the conclusion that she was just taken in by her cad of a husband who had pound signs in his eyes. He really wasn’t very pleasant. You will have to read it for yourself to make your own hypothesis! A well researched, imaginative, engaging and easy read which should appeal to those who enjoy historical fiction combined with fact.

The Cottage on Winter Moss by Allie Cresswell
Dee, an author, escapes from London and drives to where the roads and her mood take her. She ends up in a quiet, remote and ethereal feeling village near the sea. Here she rents out a cottage where she hopes to find inspiration for her new book. She gets more than she bargained for when the past starts to merge with the present. I enjoy a good dual timeframe story and this is an excellent example of the genre. The writing is very vivid and descriptive, it was so easy to picture the landscape in my mind’s eye. The two timelines fused together wonderfully. I think my favourite was the one set in the past concerning the Forrester family, which begins during the early 1900s. Perhaps because I’m a historical fiction fan. I hugely enjoyed my time with all the fascinating characters in this book and was sad to leave them behind when I finally turned the last page. I particularly loved Bob the dog! What a lucky pooch he was with his many walks along the coastline! 🐶 It’s quite a tome, something to get your teeth into, but well worth the reading investment. An evocative, captivating and engrossing story which I can recommend to those who enjoy a historical saga with an other worldly feel.

On the Border by Cari Davies
A coming of age family drama set mostly on a farm on the border of Wales and England. I thought this was a charming and gentle story with some lovely, likeable and realistic characters. My favourite was the main one, Megan - I found her well drawn and believable for the young teenager she was. There were some timeline discrepancies but this in no way detracted from the story or affected my enjoyment. I was eager to read on and become immersed in the world of Welsh farming and life in London in the booming 1950s. A nostalgic and nicely written tale - a worthwhile, easy read and promising debut.

Audio:

The Humans by Matt Haig
An alien arrives on Earth and takes possession of the body of a professor in his task to gain knowledge of the human race. He is not impressed by what he finds. Who would be these days!? I enjoyed this book. It’s humorous and philosophical. It’s about what makes us human. It’s well worth the read or listen.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

July

Post by Vanessa » Sun July 31st, 2022, 4:04 pm

Here’s my list for July:

No Secrets by David Jackson
Izzy, who works in a bookshop, is very good at knowing when people are lying. So when girls go missing and the caretaker of the local school mentions to the police he saw one of the girls get in a car, Izzy can tell he’s being untruthful. As Izzy gets on the investigation trail, the question is is her gift or ability a virtue or a vice? I really enjoyed this psychological thriller. It’s quite the game of cat and mouse, taking the reader on a rollercoaster of a ride with its twists and turns and red herrings. It’s fast paced, easy to read and very much a page turner. It had me on the edge of my seat a times and I was gripped to the last page. Izzy is a great character, I liked her, and she’s accompanied by a sterling cast. The only slight issue I had with it was that the ending seemed somewhat abrupt. All in all, an excellent read. This is the first book I’ve read by David Jackson and it won’t be my last.

Who’s Lying Now by Susan Lewis
Successful publisher Jeannie Symonds lives in Kesterly-on-Sea with her eminent surgeon husband, Guy. One day she disappears without trace and trainee investigator, Cara Jakes, teams up with ex-detective Andee Lawrence to resolve the mystery. As an avid Susan Lewis fan, I’d been looking forward to reading this book. It didn’t disappoint. It drew me in from the beginning and didn’t let go until the very last page. Well paced and plotted, it’s told from the viewpoints of a variety of different characters. Some of them weren’t very likeable but I would say they were realistically depicted. Fliss was my favourite, she seemed to have travelled the furthest by the conclusion. Who’s Lying Now is more than just a mystery, it’s a story of family dynamics and life within a close knit community whilst living through the Coronavirus pandemic. I thought it was cleverly written and insightful.

The Land, The Land by Robin Hawdon
Set in the Yorkshire Dales, Roger Oldfield lives on a farm along with his wife, Annie, his teenage daughter, Lily, and his autistic son, Danny. When a company from London approaches Roger with the idea of building a railway line through his beloved part of the Dales and his home, he is not best pleased and a big battle commences! I very much enjoyed this story. It’s beautifully written, very evocative of the landscape, and has some fantastic and realistic characters. I liked that each chapter began with a diary extract from Danny. I thought this added a charming and quirky element - Danny is such an endearing young man and became my favourite character. The setting is fabulous if I do say so myself, being a Yorkshire lass! I was totally immersed in the world of Roger’s Dales and his plight, I almost felt I was there. Roger puts up a fierce fight for his precious land and I for one was rooting for him. I nearly had my placards ready! 😊. An engaging and absorbing read about standing up for what you believe in and your place in the world.

Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo
This is written in the form of mini biographies of twelve very different women’s lives, mostly black, and it’s about their connection to each other. The style of writing is a little odd and it didn’t really sit well with me. There’s no punctuation as such. However, as I progressed through the book, I got used to it and just went with it. I read this story with my local book group so it’s not one I would’ve chosen otherwise. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It’s what I would call a good book but I was glad when I’d turned the last page. I liked the conclusion as I thought it was left on a hopeful and uplifting note.

The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain
When a bookseller in Paris finds an abandoned handbag, he decides to discover who the owner is. He tries to work this out from the contents and also from the jottings in a little red notebook. I quite enjoyed this novella. It’s a sort of romance with a difference. However, I’m not a fan of short stories as I like something a bit meatier. It’s a sweet little story but there’s not much more I can say about it other than that.

Time After Time by Louise Pentland
Tabitha lives in the small town of Ottleswan with her boyfriend, David, and runs the local curiosity shop, Doodles and Pearls. One day she puts on a ring, one of the display items, and finds herself transported back in time to the 1980s. There she meets Bea and so starts a time of change in so many ways for Tabitha. This is a lovely heartwarming and lighthearted read, but also touching on some serious issues. There are some wonderful characters even if I did find Tabitha a little dim and naïve at times. And as for her boyfriend, well, the less said about him the better. He was awful! I loved the time travel aspect. Being during the 1980s it took me back to my younger years. Gosh, the fashions of the time! Big hair and padded shoulders! It was nice to experience a bit of nostalgia. It’s a well written and enjoyable story. I thought it had a message for the reader, too, about looking forward and not backwards. Time is definitely a funny old thing!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

August

Post by Vanessa » Wed August 31st, 2022, 7:46 pm

Here’s my list for August:

Elodie and the Library of Second Chances by Rebecca Raisin
Elodie is a member of the Astor family business, a prestigious media company. She decides to break away and takes up a job in a small town in a failing library. To bring the library back up to its full potential she needs to enrol more members and so she devises a plan called a ‘people lending library’. This is an entertaining and easy read. The story flows along and the characters are vibrant and fun. I think my favourites are Alfie and Harry. Their stories pulled at my heartstrings. It just goes to show that you should never judge a book by its cover or evaluate someone unless you have walked a mile in their shoes. It’s a story about listening, believing in yourself, forgiveness and new beginnings. Uplifting and charming read with a smattering of romance, it should warm the cockles of your heart!

Hide and Seek by Andrea Mara
Joanna Stedman and her family move to a house in Rowanbrook, a small town in Dublin. Everything seems idyllic, but then she finds out a three year old girl called Lily Murphy lived in the same house twenty years previously and mysteriously disappeared during a game of hide and seek. Lily was never found so Joanna decides to carry out her own investigating with interesting results. This is very much the page turner. There are plenty of twists and turns with the odd red herring along the way. It kept me on the edge of my seat at times. The story is told via the way of a dual timeline which adds to the suspense. I was eager to keep reading on. There’s quite a cast of characters and it took some concentration to remember them all and where they fitted in the plot. However, it’s a gripping and absorbing read and one I can highly recommend to psychological thriller fans.

The Secrets of Saint Madeleine by Tilly Bagshawe
Set in Burgundy, spanning 50 years, this is a glorious family saga about the lives of the owners of a vineyard, their loves and betrayals, the secrets they keep and the legacy of the Chateau Saint Madeleine. I really enjoyed this story, it’s a great piece of escapism. Okay, most of the characters aren’t particularly likeable but they are far from boring! I think my favourite is Chantelle, godmother to Elise, the daughter of the house. She’s a subsidiary but important character. The chateau is also very much a character and a crucial one, with its legendary family fable of the butterflies which is mentioned throughout the book. The plot itself kept me reading and wanting to know more. I found it quite the page turner, in fact. It’s an epic read but one which is engaging and multi faceted. It’s a story of transformation and hope, just like the metamorphosis of the illustrious and beautiful butterfly. 🦋.

The Birdcage by Eve Chase
Three half sisters visit their artist father at Rock Point, a cliff top house in Cornwall. Memories return of them posing for a painting alongside a birdcage, a painting which becomes famous. Secrets start to unravel as it becomes apparent that someone is not happy about their return and is watching them from the shadows. I thought this was an eloquently written and atmospheric dual timeline gothic mystery with some great well rounded characters. It has an interesting plotline which gradually drew me in. It’s quite a slow burner of a read but a page turner at the same time. Engrossing.

We’ll Meet Again by Anton du Beke
Combining the glamour of the ballroom with the horror of the beaches of Dunkirk, this thoroughly engaging story set mainly in a luxury hotel had me in a whirl! 💃 It’s the fourth in the Buckingham Hotel series of books and although I haven’t read the previous three, it didn’t spoil my enjoyment. I thought it was well written and captivating with a remarkable array of fascinating characters. There are some serious threads running through it but there are also moments of pizazz and excitement. I do intend to go back and read the earlier books. All in all a surprisingly delightful read which did bring a tear to my eye.

Groom Lake by S E England
Recovering from a failed marriage, Lauren rents a cottage on the edge of the Welsh Marches. But something doesn’t feel quite right and she starts to have weird dreams and out of body experiences. Evil appears to be stalking the area. Should she stay or should she turn tail and run? I enjoyed this story. There’s a spooky and atmospheric feel to the writing style. There are some rather unpleasant and creepy characters. Its not one to read late at night and/or on your own if you’re of a nervous disposition. 😈. However, if I have to nitpick, I do feel that’s it’s a formula which has been used a few times before. It’s reminiscent of Dennis Wheatley’s ‘To the Devil a Daughter’. I wasn’t too sure of the ending, either. It’s left in the air and made me wonder if there would be a sequel? But if you enjoy your reading matter on the dark side, I’m sure you’lll enjoy this one. 🧟‍♀️ 3.5⭐️

The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell
On her 25th birthday Libby receives a letter informing her who her parents really were and that she has inherited a house in Chelsea. This house, however, has a sinister history as three people were found dead in the kitchen dressed in black 25 years previously. What is Libby’s connection to the house and it’s former inhabitants and what really went on there all those years ago? I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I thought it was brilliant, so compelling. Its well written with creepy characters. It’s such a page turner with loads of twists and turns and it’s left on something of a cliffhanger . I’m looking forward to reading the sequel, The Family Remains.

A Child of the East End by Jean Fullerton
I’m not a big non fiction fan, but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed Jean Fullerton’s touching and nostalgic memoir. I have read and also enjoyed a couple of her fictional books. Although I don’t come from the East End of London and I’m a little younger than the author, it was like a trip down memory lane and I could relate to some of the events and traditions. It’s an honest, warts and all account of life growing up during the 1950s, 60s and 70s. Written in an easy to read style, it made me smile as well as a little tearful. A truly inspiring life story.

The Last Supper by Rosemary Shrager
When one of celebrity chef Prudence Bulstrode’s rivals is found dead in the rhubarb patch at a country mansion during a shooting party event, she finds herself jumping into her camper van along with granddaughter, Suki, to save the day. All is not as it seems at Farleigh Hall, however, as someone has murder on their mind. So will it be a case of too many cooks spoil the broth? Agatha Raisin meets Mary Berry (but perhaps on acid!) in this cosy murder mystery. There are nods to other books like The Suspicions of Mr Whicher and Lady Chatterley’s Lover within the plot line. It’s a fun and entertaining read notwithstanding, but I did work out the villain of the piece early on. Prudence is one smart cookie amongst a minestrone of zany characters, so it doesn’t take her long with a little help from Suki and her iPhone to ice the cake and put the cherry on top! 🍰 And I’m sure this intrepid duo will be back in the midst of another stew of a mystery very soon. 😁

DNF: The Bone People by Keri Hulme
I was unable to finish this story - I got to P160 which is far enough for me to know if I’m enjoying a book or not.. It was for my book group so I did try to persevere with it. I just didn’t like how it’s written - the Māori lingo and the inner monologue/poetry. I also dislike the subject matter - it contains child abuse. Life is too short to read books you’re not enjoying. It has some fabulous reviews but, sadly, it’s not for me. It’s very rare I don’t finish a book but this one got the better of me.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

September

Post by Vanessa » Sat October 1st, 2022, 5:07 pm

Here’s my list for September:

When Only Pride Remains by Natalie Kleinman
When Prudence’s father, a compulsive gambler, dies after losing his home to a family friend during a card game, she feels she has no option but to go and live with her aunt in Bath. There she meets another aunt and life takes another direction. This is a gentle Regency romance, beautifully written and very evocative of the era it’s set in. It’s not a fast paced read but still an enjoyable one, nevertheless. It draws you in to another world which is sometimes just what we need. Fans of Georgette Heyer’s work will surely find much to savour in this charming little tale.

Safe With You by R M Ward
When a little girl goes missing from her home in a block of flats, the next door neighbour decides to carry out a bit of her own investigating. In fact, the whole community gets on the case. This is quite a gripping mystery. I read it via the Pigeonhole app in a ten stave format and was eager to return to it each day to read the next episode. The characters felt very realistic and the plot line is easy to follow. It’s a family drama as well as being a crime story about a missing girl. It’s told by way of various distinct voices and I thought it was well written. The sense of loneliness in some of the characters is particularly well drawn. There are quite a few red herrings but I have to admit I did have my suspicions who the culprit was quite early on. Nevertheless I found it a very good and intuitive read.

The Other Side of Night by Adam Hamdy
Ex police officer Harriet Kealty picks up a fallen book in a bookshop, entitled ‘Happiness, a New Way of Life’, after bumping into rather an odd old man who has just lost his wife. In the book she finds some notes in a margin, one of which is ‘He’s trying to kill me’. Curious, Harriet decides to try to discover who the previous owner was and this leads her on a magical mystery tour. Well, I’m not sure what to say about this book. It’s really rather strange. It’s like Dr Who meets Groundhog Day. You’ll have to read it to understand what I mean. I don’t want to give away any spoilers. It starts off like a normal novel and then ends up in fantasy/sci fi land. Don’t get me wrong, though, as I actually quite enjoyed it. It’s interesting if a little confusing and some of the scientific jargon went over my head. It’s quite compelling and definitely thought provoking. It’s also well written and I liked how the ending brought it all together. I would rate it 3.5⭐️.

Saving Geraldine Corcoran by Hazel Ward
The third in the Netta Wilde series, this is about Netta’s mother, Geraldine, who has a secret which she has kept for years and is so frightened it will be discovered, she has found certain ways of coping. So when Netta finds a letter hidden behind an old photo, it opens up a whole can of worms. Can Geraldine be saved before it is too late? Another cracking episode in this delightful series. It was lovely to revisit some of the characters from previous books, it was like meeting up with old friends! They’re so realistic and credible. Saving Geraldine is a heartwarming and poignant story of family, friendship, love and the secrets we keep. It’s beautifully written in an easy to read style. It made me laugh and cry. I have thoroughly enjoyed travelling with Geraldine on her journey as she learns to let go of the past and begins to look forward to the future with hope in her heart. Can’t wait for the next instalment!

The Impulse Purchase by Veronica Henry
A family drama about three generations of women - a grandmother, daughter and granddaughter. When the grandmother, Cherry, buys a pub on impulse in the village of Rushbrooke where she grew up, all three women set to to bring it back to its former glory. After its refurbishment a whole host of villagers descend into the pub, but will it bring fulfilment and happiness back into the women’s lives? I found this a very enjoyable, feel-good and heartwarming read. There are some well drawn and engaging characters. The storyline is interesting and entertaining. This is the first book I’ve read by Veronica Henry, so I’m now looking forward to reading the other books by her which I have on my TBR pile!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

October

Post by Vanessa » Wed November 2nd, 2022, 5:14 pm

Here’s my list for October:

All About Evie by Matson Taylor
This is the sequel to the wonderful Miseducation of Evie Epworth. I was so looking forward to reading it and it didn’t disappoint. It’s full of zany characters and it made me giggle throughout. A thoroughly enjoyable read. I can’t recommend both books enough!

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
A fictional autobiography but also inspired somewhat by Charles Dickens’ own life, so I believe. It was my mother’s favourite book. I remember her telling me it made her cry. Although I didn’t always understand the phraseology, so much so I let it go over my head 🤯, there’s a great storyline at this book’s heart. There are some fabulous and vividly depicted characters with a wonderful villain in the ever-so ‘umble Uriah Heep (or Heep the Creep as I refer to him!). I think my favourites are Mr Dick, Aunt Trotwood and Tommy Traddles, all forces of nature in very different ways. The writing is wordy but very evocative of the time and place. I found it heavy going but overall I thought it quite a remarkable but emotional journey. I’m pleased I read it. However, I think it’ll be a while until I read another book by Charles Dickens! I read this via the Pigeonhole app in preparation for Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver.

The Ring Breaker by Jean Gill
Set in Orkney during the 12thC, this is the story of Skarfr, a skald, and Hlif, the Jarl’s ward and housekeeper. It’s a tale of forbidden love, hate, betrayal, and courage mixed in with adventures on the high seas and a little bit of magic. It took me some time to get into this book. I’ve never read a story about the Vikings so thought I’d give this one a go. It’s well written, very vivid and atmospheric. I found the culture aspect surrounding the Vikings interesting, it’s not something I know a lot about. The research that has gone into writing this saga is admirable. I did get a little confused by all the different Jarls at first and wish the list of characters had been at the front of the book for ease of checking. I got a little lost on the timescales as it suddenly seemed to skip years. All in all, however, it’s a fascinating and impressive read. If you enjoy historical fiction combined with fact and are a fan of the Viking era, you should find this one very engaging. 3.5⭐️

Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver
A fictional memoir, inspired by David Copperfield by Charles Dickens, set in the southern Appalachian mountains about an impoverished boy named Demon Copperhead who begins life living with his mother in a trailer. It’s a modern retelling if you like, the trials and tribulations of his life. This isn’t an easy book to read as the misery is relentless. Don’t get me wrong, it’s an excellent piece of literature but it is quite dark, although there is some humour along the way. However, I’m glad I read it via the Pigeonhole app alongside other readers as it encouraged me to persevere. It’s beautifully written and very thought provoking. I was so pleased it ended on a hopeful note as I was worried that Demon might not survive just to add to the despair! I really enjoyed working out the parallels to David Copperfield but it’s sad to think that not much has changed since Victorian times for those in dire straits. A powerful and moving read.

The Mystery of Four by Sam Blake
A fun country house murder mystery set in Ireland written in the style of, I would say, Agatha Christie and perhaps Midsomer Murders. It starts off slowly, then the pace gathers speed, galloping along to an unexpected finish. There are many and varied characters. I particularly liked Merlin the cat. He’s such a hero and a great little personality. I also liked Clarissa who put me in mind of Endora from ‘Bewitched’. She’s a hoot, I almost expected her to dust off her broomstick! There is much to enjoy about this cosy and entertaining mystery and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

The Trouble with Tigers by Roxane Dhand
Set in India during the first part of the 20thC, Lilly Myerson decides to leave her abusive husband, Royce, and join the circus (as you do). She feels she has no option but to also leave her son behind until she can find a way for him to join her. Royce, however, is hot on her tail and has no intention of her getting away. I enjoyed this story, it’s a tale about discovering your courage and finding yourself again. The writing and descriptions of India are very evocative and there is a good sense of time and place. The characters are well rounded and intriguing. I particularly liked Belle the elephant, she’s entertaining and clever. The plot is an interesting one and there are a few twists and deviations which kept me turning the pages. An engaging read all round.

The Christmas Postcards by Karen Swan
Natasha and Rob are on their way home, along with their daughter, Mabel, from a holiday in the Maldives. To break their journey they stop off in Vienna to wait for their connecting flight. Mabel leaves her beloved soft toy behind, a cow named Moolah. It is found by a man named Duffy who takes it with him on his travels as a mascot. Mabel is distraught so Natasha enlists the help of social media, culminating in Duffy sending them photographic updates of Moolah’s journey. Unknown to both of them, Natasha and Duffy have a past…. This is a lovely heartwarming story. Although it’s set during the weeks preceding Christmas, it’s not a particularly festive tale. It’s a little deeper than that. It’s not all hearts and flowers as there is some sadness and heartbreak along the way. The characters felt very realistic and I was really immersed in their lives. Parts of the book are set on the Annapurna mountain range in Nepal - the author seems to have carried out her research extremely well. I have no knowledge about mountaineering but the weather conditions and the climbing activities are described superbly. It’s edge of your seat stuff! You wouldn’t catch me climbing that sort of mountain. 🥶. The other parts of this delightful book are set in Somerset and very picturesque it sounds, too. It’s a story of fate and misconceptions but ultimately it’s a story of love and what we do for that love. Loved it!

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2022”