Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New Tudors novel

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Re: New Tudors novel

Post by Susan » Mon August 22nd, 2016, 2:22 am

You should quit now and read the NF book I am reading now, Tudor by Leanda de Lisle.
Last edited by Susan on Mon August 22nd, 2016, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Mon August 22nd, 2016, 11:05 am

Misfit read the Wideacre trilogy. Yes Beatrice is a complex character and Richard- well (you will hate him- I did). But I think they are better than most of her Tudor/York/Melusine novels.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon August 22nd, 2016, 11:43 pm

Thanks for the input ladies. Much appreciated.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 25th, 2016, 12:32 pm

Now I'm really confused and my sleep deprived mind is struggling with the wiki page on Douglas. Here we have a roomful of Scottish lords telling her this about her husband, that he wasn't just betrothed to Janet Stewart.
He was married to her, years ago, not betrothed. He was married. He pretended to marry you, and you have given him everything and now you want to give him Scotland.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Thu August 25th, 2016, 4:39 pm

Misfit wrote:Now I'm really confused and my sleep deprived mind is struggling with the wiki page on Douglas. Here we have a roomful of Scottish lords telling her this about her husband, that he wasn't just betrothed to Janet Stewart.
He was married to her, years ago, not betrothed. He was married. He pretended to marry you, and you have given him everything and now you want to give him Scotland.
That's some confusing dialogue. The Scots royals are not my specialty (except for Mary, Queen of Scots). The only Janet Stewart I found is an illegitimate daughter of King James IV. She married Malcolm Fleming, 3rd Lord Fleming. I am assuming that Douglas is Archibald Douglas, Margaret Tudor's second husband. I see on his Wiki page that he had a daughter with Lady Jane of Traquair, daughter of the Laird of Traquair (have no idea who they are)

On Archibald Douglas' page at a royal genealogy website http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.ph ... 1&tree=LEO , Douglas has a daughter with NN Stewart (No Name Stewart). Clicking on NN Stewart shows that this woman's father was James Stewart, 1st of Traquair which relates to what Wikipedia said. Also, note that next to NN Stewart's marriage box it says "union" and the other marriage boxes have dates. I'm guessing "union" means no marriage.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 25th, 2016, 11:30 pm

Susan wrote:
Misfit wrote:Now I'm really confused and my sleep deprived mind is struggling with the wiki page on Douglas. Here we have a roomful of Scottish lords telling her this about her husband, that he wasn't just betrothed to Janet Stewart.
That's some confusing dialogue. The Scots royals are not my specialty (except for Mary, Queen of Scots). The only Janet Stewart I found is an illegitimate daughter of King James IV. She married Malcolm Fleming, 3rd Lord Fleming. I am assuming that Douglas is Archibald Douglas, Margaret Tudor's second husband. I see on his Wiki page that he had a daughter with Lady Jane of Traquair, daughter of the Laird of Traquair (have no idea who they are)

On Archibald Douglas' page at a royal genealogy website http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.ph ... 1&tree=LEO , Douglas has a daughter with NN Stewart (No Name Stewart). Clicking on NN Stewart shows that this woman's father was James Stewart, 1st of Traquair which relates to what Wikipedia said. Also, note that next to NN Stewart's marriage box it says "union" and the other marriage boxes have dates. I'm guessing "union" means no marriage.
TY. I'm still just as confused as before, but more info to sort out. The woman Archibald married per PG I believe was a Traquiar, that name does come up as his true 'legal' wife and Margaret and her daughter are now in deep do. That's where I left off.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 26th, 2016, 1:13 am

I suppose that they know too. I imagine everyone in Edinburgh knows that the queen has been told that her husband has stolen her fortune and was all along married to another woman—the wife of his choice. Half of them will be laughing at this humiliation to an English princess, and the other half shrugging at the folly of women of any nation. They will say that women are not fit to rule. They will say that I have proved that women are not fit to rule.
If Margaret was somewhat sympathetic and not so self-centered...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 26th, 2016, 1:16 am

A delegation of the lords is coming from the council and I have to receive them in the presence chamber. I dress carefully, patting rice powder onto my swollen pink eyelids, a little red ochre on my pale cheeks and lips. I choose a white gown with Tudor green sleeves, I wear my silver slippers with the gold laces. I let them enter when I am seated on my throne with my ladies around me and my household servants ranged obediently against the walls. We put on as good a show as we can; but it is an empty show, like a canvas castle in a masque. I have no power, and they know it. I have no fortune, and they know who has it.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri August 26th, 2016, 1:27 am

I see in a few places that Archibald Douglas made three marriages all to women made Margaret, which is probably the same thing you see. Here's another genealogy record for Archibald. http://thepeerage.com/p10149.htm It shows that he had three marriages as the other sites do and that he had an illegitimate child Janet Douglas, but there is no mother listed. Methinks Philippa is changing history a bit!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri August 26th, 2016, 3:06 am

Susan wrote: Methinks Philippa is changing history a bit!
Shocker! stop the presses! :mrgreen:

Return to “Philippa Gregory”