Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

New Tudors novel

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Re: New Tudors novel

Post by Misfit » Sat August 20th, 2016, 10:21 pm

I cannot believe that I, a Tudor princess, should be trapped here, in little more than a border tower, watching the shadows jump on the mud-plaster ceiling and hearing the rats scratching on the floor.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 20th, 2016, 10:23 pm

The thought of Morpeth and wagonloads of goods, clean linen and decent wine, and my gowns—new gowns—gives me courage.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 20th, 2016, 11:52 pm

Always, always, I am not granted my due as the senior Tudor princess.

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Sun August 21st, 2016, 12:51 am

If there is a movie of this book, will Paris Hilton or Kim Khardashian be playing Margaret?

A lot of people seem to hate PG's Wideacre trilogy, yet I think these are more well-written than her later Tudor/York stories

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 21st, 2016, 2:36 pm

SCW wrote:If there is a movie of this book, will Paris Hilton or Kim Khardashian be playing Margaret?

A lot of people seem to hate PG's Wideacre trilogy, yet I think these are more well-written than her later Tudor/York stories
I have heard good mentions of those books, despite the incest.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 21st, 2016, 4:10 pm

As the wife of the Holy Roman Emperor I would be queen of enormous lands, half of Europe. I would outrank Katherine. Indeed I would be married to her kinsman. Mary, the wife of a nonentity like Charles Brandon, would be nothing beside me, she would have to serve me on bended knee. I would never see either of them again, and I would be wealthier than my brother Harry. This is the destiny that slipped away from me when I considered the emperor and the King of France as husbands, and then found that the King of France had jilted me for my little sister. When I married Archibald I lost my chance of being one of the great rulers of Europe.

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Sun August 21st, 2016, 4:51 pm

This book sounds terrible. Why does PG make her protagonists so unlikable? I really just don't see what people see in her books.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 21st, 2016, 5:14 pm

SMH why she chooses to make her heroines so annoying.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 21st, 2016, 8:14 pm

“I am queen, I am his queen. He looks up to me and loves me as a subject and a lover and a man, my man. It doesn’t matter to me if he eats his dinner off a wooden platter now and then. It does not devalue my gold plates.”

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun August 21st, 2016, 9:04 pm

I am so lost. Just before Margaret is shipped back off to Scotland, there's some kind of revolt of the apprentices, ending in them being rounded by by Henry et al and ready to be hanged before the three sisters take off their hoods to show their hair and plead to Henry for mercy. I can't see how this advances the story a bit.

Return to “Philippa Gregory”