Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Taming of the Queen

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

The Taming of the Queen

Post by SCW » Fri July 17th, 2015, 7:00 am

I read an extract of this and intend to either purchase the book or borrow it from the library.
Both The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance were enjoyable reads and this novel about Katherine Parr appears promising.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Re: The Taming of the Queen

Post by Vanessa » Fri July 17th, 2015, 9:00 am

I know PG isn't a popular author on here but I enjoy her books. They're entertaining and I look forward to seeing this one published. :)
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Fri July 17th, 2015, 1:23 pm

True she does get a bit of flack here. Personally I was not enamoured of The Constant Princess, The Other Queen or The Virgin's Lover (expected a novel about Elizabeth I to be more interesting). Yet TOBG and TBI were great reads. The inaccuracies in The Other Boleyn Girl (Mary being younger than Anne) did not bother me as I found the story to be well paced with a wonderful sense of detail.

I have not bothered to read her 'Cousin's War' series, but that is due to me loving the Sunne in Splendour (covers the same period) too much.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri July 17th, 2015, 4:41 pm

I'll keep on an eye for this when it comes into the library too.

SCW
Avid Reader

Post by SCW » Fri August 21st, 2015, 1:43 am

Well TTOTQ is on sale now.

I browsed through a copy whilst shopping.

Didn't buy it though.

I was not sure what to make of an 'incident' that occurs towards the end of the novel.

There is nothing to support the fact that it happened
But then there is nothing to suggest that it didn't!

Head.bang.on.desk.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 21st, 2015, 2:34 pm

I'm in first position for digital copy at the library. I swore I wouldn't go there again, but curiosity will likely get the better of me :)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri August 21st, 2015, 6:38 pm

PG has the talent to write very well, as she showed in TOBG and The Boleyn Inheritance. I wish she were more consistent, though, and since her books are usually at the top of the price range, I'm just not willing to risk if I can find a good reading experience elsewhere.

But if y'all vet this one for me and the consensus is that it is one of her better novels, then I'll gladly spend my time and money on it.

I love this forum.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 21st, 2015, 10:06 pm

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:PG has the talent to write very well, as she showed in TOBG and The Boleyn Inheritance. I wish she were more consistent, though, and since her books are usually at the top of the price range, I'm just not willing to risk if I can find a good reading experience elsewhere.

But if y'all vet this one for me and the consensus is that it is one of her better novels, then I'll gladly spend my time and money on it.

I love this forum.
Her repetitiveness gets worse with every new book, of those that I've read. In The White Queen it was "the boy, the boy, the boy" for Edward, then in The White Princess "the boy, the boy, the boy" was overused for Perkin Warbeck. It's like being clubbed over the head with it all.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SCW
Avid Reader

Post by SCW » Sun August 23rd, 2015, 3:11 am

I haven't read either of the White Queen/Princesses
Tried The Kingmakers Daughter and The King's Curse (the last one was not bad)

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun August 23rd, 2015, 8:14 pm

I borrowed and read both the White Princess and The King's Curse from the library.
I preferred The Tudor Rose by Margaret Campbell Barnes over the White Princess. Barnes's novel is older, and she stuck to what was known at the time about Elizabeth.
I thought The King's Curse all right; it was good to have Margaret Pole as the lead.

Just to put this out there, if you look at the cover on the US edition for Taming, it's a small section of the family portrait of Henry VIII, Edward VI, and Jane Seymour as the main focal point. Mary and Elizabeth are depicted on either side. Why not an actual portrait of Katherine Parr? :confused:

Return to “Philippa Gregory”