Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Strangest Reaction to a Philippa Gregory Novel

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Strangest Reaction to a Philippa Gregory Novel

Post by SCW » Thu March 12th, 2015, 7:24 am

I don't know why I am mentioning this but anyway:
Many years ago I was hiking in Alpine country with my then boyfriend. I was not really into hiking and to alleviate the boredom I had brought along a copy of Philippa Gregory's novel Wideacre.
As I was walking along reading, my boyfriend came back to see why I was lagging behind. He took the book from me, started reading it and after five minutes he went "Meh" and threw the novel down the slope.

When I protested (it had cost me $20, a lot of money for a student) he replied he was doing me a favour.

Has anyone ever had this reaction to one of her books before?

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Thu March 12th, 2015, 11:39 am

No one throws MY books down a cliff! He is lucky he didn't follow the book down!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu March 12th, 2015, 12:48 pm

I was thinking that too!
Currently reading "The Whitstable Pearl Mystery" by Julie Wassmer

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Thu March 12th, 2015, 1:23 pm

[quote=""SCW""]
Has anyone ever had this reaction to one of her books before?[/quote]

That exact reaction? Well the last PG book I tried to read (The White Queen) hit the floor I think (didn't want to damage paint on the wall) then the charity bag, but had I been at the top of a mountain I would have been tempted.

I feel really angry on your behalf though - even if it was PG, that was your book!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu March 12th, 2015, 4:40 pm

Hope you got rid of the boyfriend pretty pronto after that! :eek: it's up to you what you read. It was your property and he had no right to do that.

And, no, I've never seen anyone have that reaction to one of PG's books. I just wish I was £5 behind her! I like her books, so what is one man's meat is another man's poison. I would never judge someone by what they liked reading. Free country and all that.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu March 12th, 2015, 7:55 pm

Chime on Amanda's post! That was just beyond belief...

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Thu March 12th, 2015, 10:20 pm

We did part ways soon afterwards. The ironic thing was that he loved The Pillars of the Earth which some people on this forum sometimes describe as a wallbanger.

At the time I thought it was an excessive reaction and I actually prefer the Wideacre trilogy to her books on Melusine and all that.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu March 12th, 2015, 11:50 pm

[quote=""Amanda""]No one throws MY books down a cliff! He is lucky he didn't follow the book down![/quote]

Same here.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Fri March 13th, 2015, 8:54 pm

No wonder he's no longer your boyfriend. I don't even like Philippa Gregory but I would never stay with a guy who treated my interests so dismissively, especially while I was in the middle of participating in his hobby.

But I have read two Philippa Gregory books and felt both were terrible.

On another note, how do you hike and read at the same time without tripping?!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat March 14th, 2015, 3:37 am

I haven't liked a PG book in a long time.

But I dont think I would ever take someone's book and toss it. That is incredibly rude!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Philippa Gregory”