Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Revisiting the Wideacre Trilogy

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Revisiting the Wideacre Trilogy

Post by SCW » Sun May 12th, 2013, 11:56 am

The Wideacre series were the first books that I ever read by Philippa Gregory.
If you can get past the incest, 'sight', characters you want to shoot. (especially the antagonist in book two - I really wanted to slap him) these three novels are very well written. I loved the attention to detail that she used throughout these stories.
Her latest novels seem to be lacking in this respect.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun May 12th, 2013, 3:45 pm

I'm not fond of her newest novels. I think after TOBG she started to churn them out quickly and BI was the only one I really really liked. The rest were eh.

I wasn't thrilled with this series. I stumbled through the first book. I think the incest through me a bit.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun May 12th, 2013, 5:42 pm

Phllippa Gregory channels Virginia Andrews :) Gregory has always had a tendency towards sensationalism.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Mon May 13th, 2013, 12:01 am

There was a time Philippa Gregory had historical background explanations and how she did the research for her novels on her site but no more.

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Mon May 13th, 2013, 8:01 am

Come to think of it - I remember reading the Wideacre Trilogy around the same time as the Virginia Andrews novels.
The incest is only in the first book- (well the graphic accounts anyway) The second and third books aren't that bad.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon May 13th, 2013, 9:27 am

I really enjoyed the Wideacre trilogy, although it's along time since I read them.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon May 13th, 2013, 8:24 pm

I enjoyed the series too when I read it back in the '80s/'90s. I wouldn't revisit though as I know I'd not see it in the same light now - not as impressed by gothic/mystic stuff these days, and as with Virginia Andrews' work, there was a rather tawdry element to it.

SCW
Avid Reader

Post by SCW » Tue May 14th, 2013, 12:56 am

There are some amusing recaps of Virginia Andrews novels online.

I was compelled to defend Wideacre after finishing The Kingmaker's Daughter. From an author who knows how to put together some very intriguing stores, the 'Cousins War' series are somewhat lacking.

Return to “Philippa Gregory”