Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

A YA fantasy series?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

A YA fantasy series?

Post by Misfit » Sun February 26th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Say it ain't so.
Publication Date: May 22, 2012
Dark myths, medieval secrets, intrigue, and romance populate the pages of the first-ever teen series from #1 bestselling author of The Other Boleyn Girl.
Italy, 1453. Seventeen-year-old Luca Vero is brilliant, gorgeous—and accused of heresy. Cast out of his religious order for using the new science to question old superstitious beliefs, Luca is recruited into a secret sect: The Order of the Dragon, commissioned by Pope Nicholas V to investigate evil and danger in its many forms, and strange occurrences across Europe, in this year—the end of days.

Isolde is a seventeen-year-old girl shut up in a nunnery so she can’t inherit any of her father’s estate. As the nuns walk in their sleep and see strange visions, Isolde is accused of witchcraft—and Luca is sent to investigate her, but finds himself plotting her escape.

Despite their vows, despite themselves, love grows between Luca and Isolde as they travel across Europe with their faithful companions, Freize and Ishraq. The four young people encounter werewolves, alchemists, witches, and death-dancers as they head toward a real-life historical figure who holds the boundaries of Christendom and the secrets of the Order of the Dragon.

The first in a series, this epic and richly detailed drama is grounded in historical communities and their mythic beliefs. It includes a medieval map of Europe that will track their journey; and the interior will include relevant decorative elements as well as an interior line illustration. And look for a QR code that links to a note from the author with additional, detailed information about the setting and the history that informed the writing. With Philippa Gregory’s trademark touch, this novel deftly brings the past—and its salacious scandals—vividly and disturbingly to life.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun February 26th, 2012, 6:08 pm

Yes, I saw this.

I wonder. Despite what people think it is very difficult to write a YA novel. I'm wondering how this one is. I also noticed that one of the main characters is 18. Thats pushing it for YA. Typically they are younger.

The story sounds forced and predictable. But its PG, so what does one expect?
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 26th, 2012, 6:46 pm

Maybe with it being YA we won't get any incest? :D

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun February 26th, 2012, 9:49 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Maybe with it being YA we won't get any incest? :D [/quote]

Dont count on it! ;)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue March 20th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Found an excerptif anyone is adventurous enough to read.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Fri March 23rd, 2012, 12:51 pm

I read some of the excerpt. Didn't grab me. But I am in quite a mood this morning. I just can't imagine being excited about someone as sick as PG writing for young people. 'Cause you know YA readers read up. There'll be 14 yr olds reading it. I hope she doesn't destroy someone's innocence with this. I'm 36 and I still can't shake the images from that one series she did. Icky.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sun March 25th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Its pretty hard to shake teens.

They love incest, rape, cutting, etc. etc. Thats how they roll. Or thats how many of my readers roll.

rebecca191
Reader

Post by rebecca191 » Thu March 29th, 2012, 7:35 am

I've read a few young adult novels recently with 17-19 year old main characters, so the age doesn't seem that odd to me. I plan to give it a try.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu March 29th, 2012, 8:11 pm

[quote=""rebecca191""]I've read a few young adult novels recently with 17-19 year old main characters, so the age doesn't seem that odd to me. I plan to give it a try.[/quote]

17 isn't too far fetched for YA. I still think 18 is high and 19 is eh for me.

I'm sure she made the character 18 so it could appeal to both adult and teens. In fact I'd bet on it. :cool:

18 is still a teen so we could push it to a YA audience. But adults might read it cause the MC is 18 and not teen angst. :confused:

rebecca191
Reader

Post by rebecca191 » Sun April 1st, 2012, 3:15 am

Well, it's definitely possible that authors are making the characters older due to the growing popularity of young adult fiction with readers over 18. I read one recently, Grave Mercy, with a 17 year old main character and her love interest, who was in his mid 20s.

Return to “Philippa Gregory”