Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Which historical person should Philippa Gregory write about next

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat September 10th, 2011, 4:49 am

[quote=""SCW""]I agree with you. The Empress Theodora is an interesting historical figure. But hasn't someone just written a novel about her[/quote]

Yeah, I think so. I'm pretty sure that book comes out this month.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Thu May 17th, 2012, 1:58 am

I've got a great one for a female historical bio...

Zenobia, Queen of Palmyra

I think that would be a great one. It has everything, a little romance, a lot of fighting. I would love to read a novel on her.
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu May 17th, 2012, 4:33 am

Judith Weingarten wrote a fairly comprehensive biographical novel about Zenobia a few years back, called The Chronicle of Zenobia: the Rebel Queen. Carla reviewed it here.

Judith Weingarten also wrote an interesting post about Queen Z for the Roman History Books and More website.

The Czar
Reader

Post by The Czar » Thu May 17th, 2012, 4:42 pm

[quote=""annis""]Judith Weingarten wrote a fairly comprehensive biographical novel about Zenobia a few years back, called The Chronicle of Zenobia: the Rebel Queen. Carla reviewed it here.

Judith Weingarten also wrote an interesting post about Queen Z for the Roman History Books and More website.[/quote]

Well crap. I thought for sure that would be one that hadn't been done. Everytime I think "I want to start writing a book" I instantly come up on four people who already have on that subject. :(
Whoever wishes to foresee the future must consult the past; for human events ever resemble those of preceding times. This arises from the fact that they are produced by men who ever have been, and ever shall be, animated by the same passions, and thus they necessarily have the same results.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri May 18th, 2012, 6:44 am

It's going to be a big ask to find a historical figure no one has previously written about. Does it matter? After all, think how many novels have been written about, say, Anne Boleyn or Cleopatra. Each one is interesting in its own right as another interpretation.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri May 18th, 2012, 1:45 pm

I think as long as you can find your own angle on a historical personage and perhaps bring a new insight, or explore different facets, then you'll have an audience.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Sun December 2nd, 2012, 11:53 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I think as long as you can find your own angle on a historical personage and perhaps bring a new insight, or explore different facets, then you'll have an audience.[/quote]

Would doing alternate history about someone count? I have an alternate history series planned and it begins with Cleopatra...

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Thu January 3rd, 2013, 9:38 am

An Alternative history where Cleopatra wins the battle of Actium- it would be an intriguing read.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri January 4th, 2013, 4:14 am

[quote=""SCW""]An Alternative history where Cleopatra wins the battle of Actium- it would be an intriguing read.[/quote]

Yes, indeed. I'd certainly read that.

On topic, Ms. Gregory should perhaps write something historical fantasy.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Lisa
Bibliophile
Favourite HF book: Here Be Dragons by Sharon Kay Penman
Preferred HF: Any time period/location. Timeslip, usually prefer female POV. Also love Gothic melodrama.

Post by Lisa » Fri January 4th, 2013, 9:56 am

[quote=""Nefret""]
On topic, Ms. Gregory should perhaps write something historical fantasy.[/quote]
I haven't read it, but from the description it sounds like her new YA novel, Changeling (Order of Darkness), is slightly more in the historical fantasy genre.
Last edited by Lisa on Fri January 4th, 2013, 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Philippa Gregory”