Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Which historical person should Philippa Gregory write about next

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Tue December 30th, 2014, 2:27 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Uh... Amenhotep IV, he's the only Egyptian ruler she is allowed to write about.[/quote]

Why is that?

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue December 30th, 2014, 7:17 pm

I should think that all of the Pharaohs would be right up PG's alley. They were required to marry their siblings.
Amenhotep IV, better known as Akhenaten (spelling varies) not only married his sister, but also proposed to marry one of his older daughters. Or so some accounts say. Still, I think he's already the most over-written-about pharaoh previous to Cleopatra. So it couldn't do any harm... ;)

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Wed December 31st, 2014, 1:49 am

[quote=""MLE (Emily Cotton)""]I should think that all of the Pharaohs would be right up PG's alley. They were required to marry their siblings.
Amenhotep IV, better known as Akhenaten (spelling varies) not only married his sister, but also proposed to marry one of his older daughters. Or so some accounts say. Still, I think he's already the most over-written-about pharaoh previous to Cleopatra. So it couldn't do any harm... ;) [/quote]

NO PG! Stay away from my Cleopatra!

Don't turn her loose on Egypt, please.

How about Isabella of Castile? Get ready for the Isabella/Alfonso wub! :p

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed December 31st, 2014, 2:22 am

[quote=""Helen_Davis""]Why is that?[/quote]

Wanted somebody to write a novel without connecting him to that Moses guy. It was mostly a joke though. She needs to stay away from Egypt.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Wed December 31st, 2014, 3:22 am

[quote=""Nefret""]. She needs to stay away from Egypt.[/quote]

AGREED!

And Greece, and Israel, and any other ancient country....

How about Marie Antoinette? Or maybe Edward II?

ETA: If she does Bible times, how about Queen Jezebel? That's steam enough for her.

Sorry, my bad ideas at night again :D

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed December 31st, 2014, 7:14 am

The Akhenaten-as-Moses trope has already been done at least twice. But the timing is off. Best current archeological guess puts the Exodus right after Thutmose III -- which makes Hatshepsut the 'pharaoh's daughter' who fished Moses from the Nile. The ever-popular Rameses II as Exodus pharaoh has been knocked cockeyed by finds from his tomb that show dealings with Hebrew and Philistine kings during the time of judges.

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Fri January 2nd, 2015, 2:42 am

[quote=""MLE (Emily Cotton)""]The Akhenaten-as-Moses trope has already been done at least twice. But the timing is off. Best current archeological guess puts the Exodus right after Thutmose III -- which makes Hatshepsut the 'pharaoh's daughter' who fished Moses from the Nile. The ever-popular Rameses II as Exodus pharaoh has been knocked cockeyed by finds from his tomb that show dealings with Hebrew and Philistine kings during the time of judges.[/quote]

Thanks for the info MLE. Very interesting.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat January 24th, 2015, 3:28 am

She's is apparently writing about Katherine Parr next.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Tue March 10th, 2015, 7:35 am

Catherine Parr....she does love those Tudors

I wonder if the Mouldywarp or 'Melusine' will be mentioned

Return to “Philippa Gregory”