Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Philippa Gregory pulls out of Edinburgh Book Festival

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed September 8th, 2010, 1:05 am

Hmmmmm .... I did notice that she didn't do forewards/afterwards for all of the books, but hadn't considered it in light of when the books were re-released. Was it only the earlier ones that had Gregory's remarks? If so, perhaps the publisher realized she wasn't doing Seton any favors, and stopped having her write forewards. I certainly didn't miss them!!
Not sure, after My Theodosia the rest of the Seton books I read all were older editions via library.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

M.M. Bennetts

Post by M.M. Bennetts » Wed September 8th, 2010, 7:45 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Oh, those were awful. I think I hated the one for Devil Water the most as she went and tried to insinuate a sexual relation between father and daughter. Must she see incest everywhere? Thankfully she wasn't doing them by the time My Theodosia came out. That would have been a father daughter relationship for her to snark :mad: [/quote]

Am now utterly agog. What excitement we historians miss!

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Wed September 8th, 2010, 5:48 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I listened to an audio version of Weir's book and do remember her after-comments about Seton's book. However, I took it as an honest critique, something more constructive than Gregory's comments. Gregory implies that if she had written Seton's books she could have done a better job (at least, that's how they sounded to me!).[/quote]

You're probably right, it's just that after Captive Queen I can't take Weir seriously as either novelist or historian. It is somewhat ironic her commenting about Katherine being very 1950s in outlook as I thought CQ, apart from the sex, was very dated and sub-1950s Jean Plaidy.

M.M. Bennetts

Post by M.M. Bennetts » Wed September 8th, 2010, 7:38 pm

Remind me never to write anything about a Tudor queen or even a Tudor female almost queen. Not that I know anything. Though that seems not to discourage these others. Still...

JMJacobsen
Reader

Post by JMJacobsen » Fri October 22nd, 2010, 7:34 pm

Actually, my first thought about the brough-ha-ha was that of course she didn't want to talk about the War of the Roses.....she doesn't know anything of substance about them.

Ouch. That was catty. Sorry. But a grain of truth in there somewhere.

Tim Woods
Scribbler

How refreshing

Post by Tim Woods » Mon March 28th, 2011, 8:25 pm

A principled stand. Good for Ms. Gregory!

Return to “Philippa Gregory”