Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Philippa Gregory pulls out of Edinburgh Book Festival

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri September 3rd, 2010, 12:30 am

[quote=""Divia""]Internet rumor....

maybe she doesnt write the books hmmmmmmmmmm. :D :p [/quote]

I certainly know I don't want to read them!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri September 3rd, 2010, 12:46 pm

How very interesting. I can understand her getting a little peeved that that book title was the wrong one but as to the rest... The audience will be paying to see her talk about her own historical fiction and recent novels. That's what the punters come for; that's what they want and that's what she is known for.
Still, those who want to see her talk about Ghandi can go to the alternate venue, and those who don't will doubtless find something else to fill the gap.
Sometimes cancellations are due to not enough tickets being sold...
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri September 3rd, 2010, 1:32 pm

[quote=""M.M. Bennetts""]"There's no accounting for taste," said the old lady as she kissed the cow.

Righto. Shutting up now.[/quote]

Why? Because someone disagreed with you? You have the right to speak up. Oh and btw, I think your comment about the political issue take over of festivals is spot on. At least thats what was happening to our local fest, and it finally petered out, sadly.

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Fri September 3rd, 2010, 8:11 pm

If you go to hear an author speak you expect them to speak about their own work. It seems rather odd to throw a tantrum about it - and it seems silly to disappoint people who want to hear about her own books.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat September 4th, 2010, 4:44 am

[quote=""Libby""]If you go to hear an author speak you expect them to speak about their own work. It seems rather odd to throw a tantrum about it - and it seems silly to disappoint people who want to hear about her own books.[/quote]

Very true.

Who wants to listen to Greogry talk about some other chicks book. A topic which as nothing to do with what her readers find interesting. If she wrote a book on Ghandi then I could see the connection. But she didnt.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat September 4th, 2010, 12:13 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Very true.

Who wants to listen to Greogry talk about some other chicks book. A topic which as nothing to do with what her readers find interesting. If she wrote a book on Ghandi then I could see the connection. But she didnt.[/quote]

How about a show of hands if anyone here would be interested in hearing the other talk? I certainly wouldn't.

Is there anyone who would be able to follow up and find out how many actually attend this outside venue?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue September 7th, 2010, 5:54 am

WOW. Imagine being so sure of your readership and your career that you can just pull out of a major festival at the last minute? If I was a reader who had bought tickets so that I could see her, I would be very upset. Despite her reputation, however, you have to wonder why 22 other authors pulled out as well.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Tue September 7th, 2010, 5:54 am

How about a show of hands if anyone here would be interested in hearing the other talk? I certainly wouldn't.
Heh. Me neither.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue September 7th, 2010, 8:43 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]WOW. Imagine being so sure of your readership and your career that you can just pull out of a major festival at the last minute? If I was a reader who had bought tickets so that I could see her, I would be very upset. Despite her reputation, however, you have to wonder why 22 other authors pulled out as well.[/quote]

I read from a link - on Twitter I think - that 22 pull outs is actually not that high given that there are around 750 different events going on and that they always expect a percentage to withdraw for certain reasons, so apparently it's well within expected parameters.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue September 7th, 2010, 3:53 pm

22 is less than 5% which I don't think is too bad for such a large event. I did also read that Hilary Mantel had withdrawn due to ill health following an operation.

Return to “Philippa Gregory”