Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The White Queen

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue August 18th, 2009, 4:40 pm

I'm glad everyone is liking it but after TOQ I'll wait and get my copy at the library.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 18th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Reviews are rolling in at Amazon today. Although they're all so long.......
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue August 18th, 2009, 6:19 pm

The only Gregory book I've liked so far was "The Boleyn Inheritance". Still going to do a wait and see what you guys think of "WQ".

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Tue August 18th, 2009, 6:52 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Reviews are rolling in at Amazon today. Although they're all so long.......[/quote]

Yikes. Its like they're writing a book!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue August 18th, 2009, 6:58 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Yikes. Its like they're writing a book![/quote]

At least when Harriet's finally shows up it's blessedly short. I've already spotted it on one of her blogs.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Tue August 18th, 2009, 9:57 pm

Mine downloaded itself into my Kindle while I slept overnight -- nice and painless, and only $14.29 (no tax, no shipment...) But I'm in the midst of finishing a rather good NF book, and then want to read the new Henry Porter spy thriller first...

re Mary -- she's such a romantic heroine *eyes roll* and she annoys me so much.... I actually think PG nailed her in the book -- an entitled and basically rather silly/stupid woman who misreads every situation and every person she encounters. I found myself liking TOQ less for the writing than for the characters (which I think she gets exactly right) and for the theme, although it's rather heavy handed (old aristocracy & divine right vs upstarts/nouveau riche becoming de facto aristocrats, with Shrewsbury & Mary on one side dealing in incomprehension with the new realities as represented by Bess & Cecil.) Could it have been better written? Absolutely. But I did admire her ability to capture those in fiction.

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Tue August 18th, 2009, 10:48 pm

Working on WQ right now.

So far its not too bad but if it is mentioned AGAIN that she's descended from Melusina or that she has Warwick and Clarence's names in her blood in her locket in her jewel box AGAIN...I'm going to smack someone.
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue August 18th, 2009, 10:54 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]

re Mary -- she's such a romantic heroine *eyes roll* and she annoys me so much.... I actually think PG nailed her in the book -- an entitled and basically rather silly/stupid woman who misreads every situation and every person she encounters. [/quote]

Just exactly what I thought. So I was startled to read interviews with PG where she claimed to have produced a feminist re-reading of Mary's life and presented her as a 'modern heroine for Scotland' or something. The way Mary was written, she wasn't fit to be queen of the dormitory, never mind Queen of Scotland and the Isles.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue August 18th, 2009, 11:23 pm

[quote=""robinbird79""]Working on WQ right now.

So far its not too bad but if it is mentioned AGAIN that she's descended from Melusina or that she has Warwick and Clarence's names in her blood in her locket in her jewel box AGAIN...I'm going to smack someone.[/quote]

Keep the kids in the other room, for their own safety! :)

I broke down and bought a copy today, since it wasn't at the library yet. So Gregory's marketing people have done their work well.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed August 19th, 2009, 12:13 am

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Just exactly what I thought. So I was startled to read interviews with PG where she claimed to have produced a feminist re-reading of Mary's life and presented her as a 'modern heroine for Scotland' or something. The way Mary was written, she wasn't fit to be queen of the dormitory, never mind Queen of Scotland and the Isles.[/quote]

At the risk of going OT and having to move my own post :o :p

When I reviewed George's book on Mary and noted that I lost interest in the book not because of the writing but that Mary was..well..rather irritating I got a comment that maybe I should have given Mary 3.5 stars. Oh well, can't please them all.

Return to “Philippa Gregory”