Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The White Queen

Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Fri August 7th, 2009, 11:30 am

[quote=""cookie""]I have a copy of The White Queen .. I just hope it's much better than The Other Queen which was downright boring.[/quote]

I couldn't get through TOQ.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri August 7th, 2009, 1:50 pm

[quote=""Andromeda_Organa""]I couldn't get through TOQ.[/quote]

You werent the only one. Like I said TWQ is a library book for sure!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri August 7th, 2009, 3:17 pm

[quote=""cookie""]I have a copy of The White Queen .. I just hope it's much better than The Other Queen which was downright boring.[/quote]

I just finished TWQ last night and I thought it was a lot better than The Other Queen (which I agree was booooring). I'll be posting some more detailed thoughts on it in the next day or so.

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri August 7th, 2009, 5:07 pm

Tanzanite, will look forward to your thoughtful comments after the rather disapppinting initial chapter available online, & rampant speculation that followed!

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri August 7th, 2009, 5:18 pm

I look forward to the review, Tanzanite!
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Tue August 11th, 2009, 1:59 am

Here is a link to my review: http://shelfandstuff.blogspot.com/2009/ ... egory.html

I was going to copy and paste it into it's own thread in the review section, but for some reason my computer won't copy it. Sorry.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Tue August 11th, 2009, 10:48 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Here is a link to my review: http://shelfandstuff.blogspot.com/2009/ ... egory.html

[/quote]

Thank you Tanzanite, looking forward to TWQ a bit more now.

Hey, though, I have a question. I quote:

"Elizabeth’s mother Jacquetta is descended from the water goddess Melusine."

Weren't the Plantagenets descended from Melusine too, through the Lusignan family? So shouldn't all the women of Edward's family be witches too? Hope I'm not unwittingly spoiling everyone...

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed August 12th, 2009, 1:45 am

[quote=""Miss Moppet""]Thank you Tanzanite, looking forward to TWQ a bit more now.

Hey, though, I have a question. I quote:

"Elizabeth’s mother Jacquetta is descended from the water goddess Melusine."

Weren't the Plantagenets descended from Melusine too, through the Lusignan family? So shouldn't all the women of Edward's family be witches too? Hope I'm not unwittingly spoiling everyone...[/quote]

I was looking through Ralph Turner's new biography of Eleanor of Aquitaine the other day and thinking the same thing!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed August 12th, 2009, 4:43 am

There were several Melusine legends that connected European royalty with her. The Wikipedia entry on Melusine summarizes a couple of legends about her. According to one, Siegfried of the Ardennes, the founder of the line of rulers of Luxembourg, married Melusine and then lost her when he couldn't resist peeking at her (and seeing her fish tail) while she was bathing. Jacquetta was descended from the royalty of Luxembourg, I believe. Another story has Guy de Lusignan, Count of Poitou, marrying Melusine and, again, peeking at her in her bath, upon which she turns into a dragon and flies away. Guy de Lusignan was a contemporary of Eleanor of Aquitaine, and Poitou was at that time a part of Aquitaine, so I'm inclined to think the story connecting him with Melusine emerged a bit later. But there may be other, earlier connections in Eleanor's family that aren't mentioned in Wikpedia.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed August 12th, 2009, 7:23 am

The Angevins were supposed to be descended from Melusine. It's surprising that there seemed to be no conflict with the Church over claiming this otherwordly ancestress! There's often been a strong link between royalty and the dragon image- it would be an interesting subject for study.

Return to “Philippa Gregory”