Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Other Boleyn Girl

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri May 8th, 2009, 1:37 am

Wealcere, that's probably about where it belongs in the list of priorities on the TBR pile! :)

SusannaG
Scribbler

Post by SusannaG » Thu June 25th, 2009, 10:43 pm

I enjoyed TOBG - strictly as fiction, though.

It's easily winning the "Best Books About Tudor England" voting on Listmania over at GoodReads.

I think the two of her novels I've liked best were Virgin Earth and The Boleyn Inheritance. Didn't think much of either Wildacre (couldn't finish the first volume) or The Queen's Fool.
South Carolina is too large for a mental asylum, and too small for a republic. - James Pettigru, 1856

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Fri June 26th, 2009, 8:10 pm

I had to stop part way through Wideacre as well. It was just too...well, weird. :eek: I have the second and third books but haven't read them.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri June 26th, 2009, 9:42 pm

[quote=""Libby""]I had to stop part way through Wideacre as well. It was just too...well, weird. :eek: I have the second and third books but haven't read them.[/quote]

Yeah so did I. I second the weirdness in the book.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Sat June 27th, 2009, 2:12 pm

I couldn't finish Wideacre either - too weird and I am not big on the whole incest thing.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat July 4th, 2009, 1:23 pm

I looked at the Philippa Gregory interview on the Harper Collins site and saw this comment by her about Anne Boleyn:
The other thing which we tend to loose sight of is her absolute criminal nature. She certainly conspired to poison an Archbishop, by chance he didn′t have the soup she poisoned but three men at his table died. So she was a woman who was quite prepared to take on murder as well as other crimes. I think that this has been a bit concealed because that′s not part of the Henry and Her story, so in a sense what I′ve done is widen the story.
I've read that Anne was accused of trying to poison various people, but is there any proof that she "certainly conspired" to do so? Any thoughts from the Tudor experts here?
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

trueblood
Scribbler

Post by trueblood » Sat September 5th, 2009, 5:41 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I looked at the Philippa Gregory interview on the Harper Collins site and saw this comment by her about Anne Boleyn:

I've read that Anne was accused of trying to poison various people, but is there any proof that she "certainly conspired" to do so? Any thoughts from the Tudor experts here?[/quote]

I think it's debatable what actually constitutes 'certain involvement,' but I re-read a couple of works not long ago that mention facts about one of the suspicious incidents that Philippa must be referencing:the poisoning attempt against Fisher.

Besides the poison, there was the matter of gunshot reportedly fired from the earl of Wiltshire's residence across the Thames. Bernard describes the incidents in the King's Reformation: Henry VII and the Remaking of the English Church. I had the impression that Dr. Bernard believed Anne's brother or father (or the King himself!) were more likely culprits--though his reasons were not detailed. The events are described on page 110.

Maria Dowling, in Fisher of Men: a Life of John Fisher additionally mentions a veiled threat that Anne herself reportedly made to the clergyman, a message attempting to persuade him not to attend parliament lest he catch some sickness as he had before. Read page 143 for the full context and sources.

Hope that was helpful, although a very late reply.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat September 5th, 2009, 7:02 pm

That poisoning incident was also featured in The Tudors, and the poor old cook ended up being boiled alive as he got the blame! Can't remember if the finger was pointed at Anne being behind this incident though.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat September 5th, 2009, 7:12 pm

Interesting, thanks, trueblood! It doesn't seem as if there's enough evidence for Gregory to charactize the proof against Anne as "absolute" and "certain," though.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat September 5th, 2009, 8:26 pm

[quote=""trueblood""]

Besides the poison, there was the matter of gunshot reportedly fired from the earl of Wiltshire's residence across the Thames. Bernard describes the incidents in the King's Reformation: Henry VII and the Remaking of the English Church. I had the impression that Dr. Bernard believed Anne's brother or father (or the King himself!) were more likely culprits--though his reasons were not detailed. The events are described on page 110.
[/quote]

I think Uncle Howard should be included on the suspect list.

But I really like to imagine AB herself lining up the crosshairs like that girl in Nikita. Unlikely as it is.

Return to “Philippa Gregory”