Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Faith's 2015 Reads

What have you read in 2015? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
fljustice
Bibliophile

September

Post by fljustice » Sun October 4th, 2015, 4:23 pm

37. The Butcher's Wife and Other Stories by Li Ang, translated and edited by Howard Goldblatt (Trade PB. The title story is a brilliant dissection of an abused woman's descent into madness. They other stories didn't grab me as much.)
38. Doctor Margaret In Delhi (The Azadi Series #2) by Waheed Rabbani (ARC/ebook, liked the first in the series better)
39. The Chinese Femme Fatale: Stories from the Ming Period by Anne E. McLaren (trade PB, interesting collection of traditional folk tales accompanied by less interesting academic analysis)
40. Good News, Bad News by David Wolstencroft (mass market PB. A twisty contemporary spy thriller and debut novel by the writer of the BBC series MI5 (Spooks in the UK) shows this author's promise.)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

fljustice
Bibliophile

October

Post by fljustice » Wed November 18th, 2015, 10:30 pm

41. The Year-God's Daughter (The Child of the Erinyes #1) by Rebecca Lochlann (ebook, enjoyed except for the non-ending)
42. Galápagos Regained by James K. Morrow (signed hardback; HF/F, fun read, but not his best)
43. Becoming Lola by Harriet Steel (ebook, meh, would have been better as a straight biography)
44. The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin (ARC, trade PB, another wonderful read by this author)

fljustice
Bibliophile

November & December

Post by fljustice » Sun January 10th, 2016, 9:36 pm

45. Hornswogglers, Fourflushers & Snake-Oil Salesmen: True Tales of the Old West's Sleaziest Swindlers by Matthew P Mayo (ARC, paperback, OK book of its genre)
46. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout (trade pb from Mt TBR, lovely collection of linked shorts centering around the life of one woman)
47. Salvation by Harriet Steel (ebook, liked the story except for the rushed, too-convenient ending)
48. Nero by Jürgen Malitz (trade pb, disappointing research book)
49. Dr. Martha: The Life of a Pioneer Physician, Politician, and Polygamist by Mari Graña (ARC, trade pb, well-written biography of fascinating woman)
50. The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks (trade pb from Mt TBR, a bit dated in the science, but lovely empathetic voice)
51. Storykeeper by Daniel A. Smith (ebook, lovely story and wanted more!)
52. The Tiger Queens: The Women of Genghis Khan by Stephanie Thornton (trade pb, loved this, but needed to be more than one book)

fljustice
Bibliophile

Yearly summary

Post by fljustice » Sun January 10th, 2016, 10:05 pm

I hit my goal of 52 books this year (exactly!) with only two 5-star reads: Longbourn by Jo Baker and NeuroTribes: The Legacy of Autism and the Future of Neurodiversity by Steve Silberman. There were many very good reads and only a couple meh's. Some of my stats:

29 or 56% of my reads were historicals
18 or 35% were ebooks
16 ARCs for 31%
15 or 29% were older books from my TBR shelf
10 or 19% were non-fiction
I "read" my first audio book and didn't care for the experience

I'm upping my writing and publishing schedule for 2016 and might not be reading as much, but still keeping the 52 books for a goal. I'll try to do fewer ARC's and more older books from my print and digital TBR shelf.

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2015”