Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Susan's 2015 Books

What have you read in 2015? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
User avatar
Susan
Bibliomaniac
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Susan's 2015 Books

Postby Susan » Mon November 30th, 2015, 1:35 am

40) The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan; finished 11/29/15
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

User avatar
Susan
Bibliomaniac
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Susan's 2015 Books

Postby Susan » Mon November 30th, 2015, 1:58 am

41) I read A Desperate Fortune by Susanna Kearsley back in May and never entered it here. I have loved Susanna Kearsley's books. I've given them all either 4 or 5 stars, so I have high expectations and this one did not meet those expectations. It was slow moving and nothing much happened. Although there is a past and present story, there is none of Kearsley's time slips or supernatural elements here. The present story was more appealing to me and I give Kearsley credit for giving the present story's protagonist Asperpeger syndrome.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

User avatar
Susan
Bibliomaniac
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Susan's 2015 Books

Postby Susan » Sun December 6th, 2015, 1:44 pm

42) The Blue Virgin (Nora Tierney Mysteries #1) by M. K. Graff; finished 12/6/15; A pleasant surprise! I went to school with the author and have postponed reading this (it was published in 2010) in case I didn't like it. It takes place in Oxford, UK and I spent July of this year in a rented house 12 miles away, so Oxford was a place we frequented. The essence of Oxford is captured and the characters are interesting. There are two more books in this series which I will definitely read.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

User avatar
Susan
Bibliomaniac
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Susan's 2015 Books

Postby Susan » Thu December 17th, 2015, 12:50 pm

43) Career of Evil (Cormoran Strike, #3) by Robert Galbraith (Pseudonym), J.K. Rowling; finished 12/16/15; loved the characterization, but the plot dragged a bit for me. I liked the first two books much better.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

User avatar
MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favorite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.
Location: California Bay Area

Re: Susan's 2015 Books

Postby MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu December 17th, 2015, 6:38 pm

Susan wrote:42) The Blue Virgin (Nora Tierney Mysteries #1) by M. K. Graff; finished 12/6/15; A pleasant surprise! I went to school with the author and have postponed reading this (it was published in 2010) in case I didn't like it. It takes place in Oxford, UK and I spent July of this year in a rented house 12 miles away, so Oxford was a place we frequented. The essence of Oxford is captured and the characters are interesting. There are two more books in this series which I will definitely read.

Isn't it the pits when you know the author and you are worried you won't like it? I have a positive STACK of books sitting on the shelf given by author friends that I dread reading.
my facebook posts https://www.facebook.com/emilylaurencotton are public, generally things I find amusing.
my passions: fair trade, ending slavery, and justice.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers
User signature picture

User avatar
Susan
Bibliomaniac
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Susan's 2015 Books

Postby Susan » Thu December 17th, 2015, 10:36 pm

MLE (Emily Cotton) wrote:
Susan wrote:42) The Blue Virgin (Nora Tierney Mysteries #1) by M. K. Graff; finished 12/6/15; A pleasant surprise! I went to school with the author and have postponed reading this (it was published in 2010) in case I didn't like it. It takes place in Oxford, UK and I spent July of this year in a rented house 12 miles away, so Oxford was a place we frequented. The essence of Oxford is captured and the characters are interesting. There are two more books in this series which I will definitely read.

Isn't it the pits when you know the author and you are worried you won't like it? I have a positive STACK of books sitting on the shelf given by author friends that I dread reading.


Yes! I postponed reading that book for five years and perhaps would not have read it if I have not spent so much time in Oxford in July.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

User avatar
Susan
Bibliomaniac
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Susan's 2015 Books

Postby Susan » Sun December 20th, 2015, 2:01 pm

44) How Far to Bethlehem? by Norah Lofts, finished 12/20/15; I appreciate Lofts' concept of telling the story through various people and getting a glimpse of how life back then might have been, but sometimes I found these stories and the characters' backstories a bit tedious. And Melchior coming from Pyongyang, now in North Korea was a bit far-fetched for me.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

User avatar
Susan
Bibliomaniac
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Susan's 2015 Books

Postby Susan » Thu December 24th, 2015, 6:09 pm

45) The Green Remains (A Nora Tierney Mystery, #2) by Marni Graff (also known as M.K. Graff); finished 12/24/15; The author is a high school friend. This one is set in England's Lake District which sounds lovely!
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

User avatar
Susan
Bibliomaniac
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: Susan's 2015 Books

Postby Susan » Tue December 29th, 2015, 1:28 am

46) The Scarlet Wench (Nora Tierney Mysteries, #3) by Marni Graff; finished 12/28/15
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

User avatar
Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: To the Bright Edge of the World by Eowyn Ivey
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime
Location: Essex/London

Re: Susan's 2015 Books

Postby Madeleine » Tue December 29th, 2015, 11:30 am

Susan wrote:45) The Green Remains (A Nora Tierney Mystery, #2) by Marni Graff (also known as M.K. Graff); finished 12/24/15; The author is a high school friend. This one is set in England's Lake District which sounds lovely!


It is lovely, although sadly parts of it have suffered terrible flooding recently, with more rain to come :o
Currently reading "To the Bright Edge of the World" by Eowyn Ivey


Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2015”