Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jean Plaidy Reissues (US list)

(including the other many pseudonyms of Eleanor Hibbert)
nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Fri August 28th, 2009, 3:59 pm

wow I think I like the old covers, they seemed to not sap with sexual appeal. Thats a common problem with HF now adays, they seem to gravitate towards the sexual aspect and well its getting more readers from the romance genre but still there is nothing sexy about Henry VIII (an example only) and his headless brides and if there was it is short lived, literally.

4ever Queen
Reader

Jean Plaidy

Post by 4ever Queen » Fri August 28th, 2009, 5:25 pm

I love Jean Plaidy's books. I owe much to her because thru her is that i discover a love for reading and for history (specially historical fiction!). I came accross her books in my teenage years. I started with her Victoria Holt books, continued with her Philippa Carr series/saga and that's when i found her JP books as well. Since then i have fallen in love with historical fiction and i live obsessed by it--LOL, i know, it sounds crazy uh? I have read all that has been available to me thru my local libraries, unfortunately much of her JP books are out of print. I would highly recommend ALL her JP books, specially if you can read them back to back with other author's books about the same topic. For instance, JP has The Sun in Splendour and Sharon Kay Penman has a book The Sunne in Splendor (sorry if not spelling it correctly). Both are faboulous books which will totally transport you and even make you a hard and staunch Yorkist! Happy readings! :)

4ever Queen
Reader

JP's books

Post by 4ever Queen » Fri August 28th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Jean Plaidy will forever have a special place in my heart :D

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 9:59 pm

[quote=""nona""]wow I think I like the old covers, they seemed to not sap with sexual appeal. Thats a common problem with HF now adays, they seem to gravitate towards the sexual aspect and well its getting more readers from the romance genre but still there is nothing sexy about Henry VIII (an example only) and his headless brides and if there was it is short lived, literally.[/quote]

I very much agree with you. The old covers had some nice artwork. It made them stand out from the other authors. And the colours and border designs were pretty. The new covers seem too bright with all that yellow.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 4:54 pm

Just found this over at Amazon UK. Don't know what the original title might have been.

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 5:19 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Just found this over at Amazon UK. Don't know what the original title might have been.

Image[/quote]

That's the original title. It's about Katherine of Valois, Joan of Arc, and Eleanor, Duchess of Gloucester.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 5:29 pm

Thank you. Found an older cover for Daphne. Although its not as cheesy as some of them :)

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 6:12 pm

Ah, those old Plaidy clinch covers! My favorite is the one for the paperback of Red Rose of Anjou, where a woman who must be Margaret is lip-locked with a man who must be Henry VI, since Plaidy doesn't depict Margaret as having lovers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon November 23rd, 2009, 11:15 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Thank you. Found an older cover for Daphne. Although its not as cheesy as some of them :)

Image[/quote]

That's the edition I have. It's been a while since I read it, but I thought it was good.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Murder in the Tower cover

Post by princess garnet » Tue December 15th, 2009, 10:15 pm

I saw this mentioned on a Plaidy blog: Murder in the Tower will be reissued in July '10.
The story is set during the reign of James I, which doesn't get as much attention in fiction. It'd be better if a picture of the Countess was used!

Return to “Jean Plaidy”