Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Favourite Victoria Holt Novel

(including the other many pseudonyms of Eleanor Hibbert)
SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Favourite Victoria Holt Novel

Post by SCW » Sun June 12th, 2011, 12:21 pm

Was very partial to her books in my teens and early twenties. My personal favourites would have to be On the Night of the Seventh Moon and My Enemy the Queen

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun June 12th, 2011, 12:26 pm

I haven't read them all yet. I was on a roll for a bit there and then started to burn out. Mistress of Mellyn (sp?) seems to stick out for me.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Sun June 12th, 2011, 12:36 pm

When I was 16 I found a heap of them in a second hand bookshop- they were selling for a dollar each. I think I bought around 12 of them.
Was Mistress of Mellyn the one that 'borrows' heavily from Jane Eyre?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun June 12th, 2011, 12:43 pm

I think so, although I'd have to go back to my old review to refresh my memory :o

There's a used book store in my neck of the woods that has (or had, haven't been by lately) a bunch of them in older paperback editions (60's? 50's?).
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun June 12th, 2011, 5:14 pm

They re-issued a few of her books about 5 years ago or so over here; I've got Mistress of Mellyn, The Shivering Sands and The Time of the Hunter's moon on mount tbr.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Sun June 12th, 2011, 6:24 pm

I would be thrilled if The Queen's Confession was reissued!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun June 12th, 2011, 6:38 pm

I have her re-issued books on my TBR pile - I've read one of them but can't remember which.

A book which stands out for me is Menfreya.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon June 13th, 2011, 2:29 am

I've only read a couple of Victoria Holts. I thought The Queen's Confession was excellent, but I couldn't get on with My Enemy the Queen. I may pick it up again soon--it might have just been a mood I was in.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Mon June 13th, 2011, 6:50 am

I read several when I was in my teens but I have to confess to not being particularly keen on her even then so she is not someone I would really consider re-reading.

Roxanne C Murph made an interesting comment on the whole range of Plaidy/Holt/Carr etc novels (not that I necessarily think she was correct in some of her assessments) to the tune that despite her numerous novels, Paidy etc never managed to write believable dialogue. That is quite possibly the reason I don't get on with her but I was too young to make that kind of assessment and when I did try reading one of Jean Plaidy's a few years ago because it covered a person I was interested in -- I found it not up to par.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon June 13th, 2011, 2:26 pm

[quote=""SGM""]Roxanne C Murph made an interesting comment on the whole range of Plaidy/Holt/Carr etc novels (not that I necessarily think she was correct in some of her assessments) to the tune that despite her numerous novels, Paidy etc never managed to write believable dialogue. [/quote] I pretty much agree with this. Holt was one of my favorite authors in my younger years -- I devoured nearly all of her books in my teens and early twenties. In my mid- to late-twenties I discovered her Plaidy titles, although by that time she was losing steam with me and so I only read a few before dropping her altogether. In the last couple of years I decided -- after a hiatus of 15 or so years -- to give her another try, so I read one Holt and one Plaidy. And both of them fell pretty flat with me.

That being said, when it comes to naming a favorite Holt out of the many I read it's pretty easy. All of her books were formulaic and so similar that they all run together in my memory now. The only one that stands out as different was My Enemy the Queen. So I guess I'd have to say that was my favorite.

Return to “Jean Plaidy”