Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Georgian Saga

(including the other many pseudonyms of Eleanor Hibbert)
Felicia J
Scribbler

Georgian Saga

Post by Felicia J » Mon October 5th, 2009, 3:17 am

Has anyone else read any or all of these? I think I may be unique in reviewing them in chronological order on my blog! I've seen reviews of individual books on other blogs, but not all of them.

I have read the first five books, through The Third George. I obtained the entire 11-book set in an eBay auction a few years ago. This summer, I was craving some Plaidy and picked up the first book realizing with all my knowledge of the British monarchy, I knew next-to-nothing about how a German family ended up on the English throne.

So far, I have most enjoyed books 1 & 2, The Princess of Celle and Queen in Waiting. Plaidy's writing can be a bit dull and emotionless, but I do like how she sticks close to historical fact and conveys a lot of information in an easy-to-read style. I feel like she's a pretty reliable guide through history.

I have high hopes for the books focusing on the Prince Regent. Indiscretions of the Queen seems to be a favorite for many people, and I've also heard good things about Goddess of the Green Room. George IV certainly was a more colorful character than many of his ancestors, so we'll see.

None of these books has been reissued as far as I know. I have the British Pan paperbacks, which have tasteful drawings on the covers. There's also a Fawcett set from the 80s with hilarious bodice-ripper covers (similar to those from their Plantagenet saga reprints.)

The Georgian Saga books are:
  1. The Princess of Celle
  2. Queen in Waiting
  3. Caroline the Queen
  4. The Prince and the Quakeress
  5. The Third George
  6. Perdita's Prince
  7. Sweet Lass of Richmond Hill
  8. Indiscretions of the Queen
  9. The Regent's Daughter
  10. Goddess of the Green Room
  11. Victoria in the Wings

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon October 5th, 2009, 9:48 pm

I think these have always been amongst the hardest of Plaidy's books to track down, perhaps because the Georgian royals were relatively dull and their antics fairly straightforward compared to earlier eras, and even to Victoria. (Plaidy also wrote four books about Victoria, of which I think the last is the best.)

I remember when I was reading Plaidy's books in the 70s, it was only when I visited my grandfather that I could find & borrow these as library books.

My favorites of these were about Caroline of Ansbach (consort of George II), and the Regent's Daughter. For the antics of the princes around the time of George II (all those sons running amok) I've found the best books are non-fiction or even du Maurier's Mary Anne. It's pretty much the same story over and over, prince gets entangled with unsuitable woman and causes a scandal. Repeat, ad nauseum.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon October 5th, 2009, 10:42 pm

I've read about half of these. I thoroughly enjoyed Indiscretions of the King and The Regent's Daughter. I've also read the first three, which I didn't enjoy as much, but I think that was more the fault of the characters than of Plaidy.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue October 6th, 2009, 12:03 am

I know I might sound like a broken record, but if you're interested in these and your library participates in the ILL (interlibrary loan) program don't be afraid to try. I just popped all these titles into King County's catalog and all but two are there ready and waiting for you. Thanks for posting these Felicia.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Sat January 30th, 2010, 6:20 am

My library has some of these. But I'm starting in the middle. Will just read what the library has, I guess.

Are they going to be re-issued?
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

SCW
Avid Reader
Preferred HF: Lately World Two or the time immediately before and after this period

Post by SCW » Fri February 4th, 2011, 7:58 am

My favourites were the first two, The Princess of Celle and Queen in Waiting.

sweetpotatoboy
Bibliophile

Post by sweetpotatoboy » Fri February 4th, 2011, 10:39 am

I read all of these back in the 80s, I guess. I would love to re-read them.

Return to “Jean Plaidy”