Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Kveto's logs

What did you read in 2014? Post your list here and update it as you go along! (One thread per member, please.)
Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Kveto's logs

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue February 11th, 2014, 12:54 pm

to buy list:

"Paladin"
"wolf time"
"Men of Bronze" George Shipway

"Sea of ravens"
"3 palladins"
"durandal" Harold lamb

"Prince of foxes" Samuel Shellabarger

"I am a barbarian"
E. R. Burroughs

"Portrait of a cavalier"
"Mandeville" Geoffrey Trease

"Flashman" George McDonald Frasier

"Kings of Vain Intent" Graham Shelby

"Captain Blood" Rafael Sabatini

"barbarian princess" by florence king

"Rakossy"
"great maria" or
"hammer of princes"
"2 ravens" Cecelia Holland

"elephants and castles"
"king of athelney" Alfred duggan

"casca" barry sadler

"Silver Leopard" F van Wyck Mason

"Knight crusader" by Ronald Welch

"Year of the Horsetails" by RF Tapsell
Last edited by Kveto from Prague on Wed February 12th, 2014, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue February 11th, 2014, 12:56 pm

"Theophano, the Crusade of the 10th century, a romantic monograph" by Fredric Harrison

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed February 12th, 2014, 3:50 am

I'd be interested to know what you make of Van Wyck Mason's Silver Leopard, Kveto. I've read a couple of his historical adventures and they were good (or should that be bad?) examples of pulp fiction of a particular style - macho fantasy/adventures which reflect the time in which they were written. The heroes were unreconstructed male chauvinist pigs and the female characters beautiful, willing and/or unwilling sex objects bearing little resemblance to real women.

Prince of Foxes, now, just brilliant!

Btw, I'm a Cecelia Holland fan, but I read her Until the Sun Falls at the end of last year, and I think it's the best thing she's ever written. A totally immersive novel about the 13th-century Mongol invasion of Europe, caught just at the point when floodtide has been reached and is on the turn.

Another oldie but goodie I read last year is RF Tapsell's Year of the Horsetails, set in a world of nomadic tribesmen as well, but much earlier than Until the Sun Falls. Although Tapsell doesn't identify the period, his nomads appear to be based on the Eurasian Avars. Available as a Kindle book, though don't know if you can access it or not.
Last edited by annis on Wed February 12th, 2014, 4:04 am, edited 5 times in total.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed February 12th, 2014, 8:09 pm

Hi Annis, I found "Silver Leopard" online awhile back but couldn't find a Kindle version and I dislike reading books on a PC. But I'd like to try it sometime as I'll read any fiction set during Oultremer.

I've tried Holland several times and always been unsatisfied. She's an author I want to like (much like Joseph Conrad) but I just can't get into. I think it is because her dialogue feels far too modern for my taste. But I enjoy books set during the Mongolian invasions. The best thing I've read on the subject is Harold Lamb's "March of the Barbarians", an absolutely brilliant NF book. (We might have discussed this before :-)

The Horsetails book sounds interesting. I can't recall anything written about the Avarian period (fairly important in my part of the world as the defeat of the Avar's helped establish Great Moravia, the first Czech state.)

Unfortunately, ive read very few book lately. I've got over a hundred loaded on my kindle so it's not for lack of material.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat March 1st, 2014, 11:47 am

"Black Vulmea's Vengeance" by R E Howard

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Fri March 21st, 2014, 6:41 pm

"The Amber road" by Henry Sidebottom

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue March 25th, 2014, 2:32 am

"revolt of the dwarves" by rose estes