Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Jennifer Donnelly

NancyK18
Scribbler

The Wild Rose

Post by NancyK18 » Wed April 13th, 2011, 2:22 pm

I may be confused by dates but it seems to me The Wild Rose was published in this country. I read it sometime ago and don't think I bought it from Amazon UK.

BTW - what is a scribbler?

Trying hard to learn the ropes here.
Nancy In NJ
So Many Books, So Little Time

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed April 13th, 2011, 3:11 pm

[quote=""NancyK18""]I may be confused by dates but it seems to me The Wild Rose was published in this country. I read it sometime ago and don't think I bought it from Amazon UK.

BTW - what is a scribbler?

Trying hard to learn the ropes here.[/quote]

The Winter Rose might be the one you are thinking of, that was book #2. Came out first in the UK, then US later. Wild Rose is the next one due out and should be Seamie's story.

You get a title, i.e. Scribbler based on the number of posts you make. I forget what the rest of them are, but just keep posting away and you'll lose scribbler in no time and be a biliomaniac or something :)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed April 13th, 2011, 3:12 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]I shall continue to eagerly await it's publication. :D [/quote]

Me too, although I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can get an early copy via NetGalley.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu April 14th, 2011, 1:38 am

[quote=""NancyK18""]Ok so there must have been a run on Lily Cigar - I wonder why - and I ordered this a :( while ago and was waiting patiently for it. But today I received an e mail from Amazon informing me they werew crediting my account because the book can't be sent. I am so mad sooooo[/quote]

Nancy, FYI I just received an email from someone who found a copy of Lily Cigar for $10 on Alibris so do shop around the other online used sellers. B&N, Alibris, Abe Books, etc.

NancyK18
Scribbler

The Wild Rose

Post by NancyK18 » Thu April 14th, 2011, 2:47 pm

OK - so I am confused but no more I am ordering The Wild Rose, to read from the book. Much as I enjoy reading from my IPAD, I still enjoy a real honest book.

OK - Misfit - Who was featured in the second book - wasn't it the main chracter's brother? Who was Seamie - the fellow she left behind who was the leader of an unsavory bunch of men? Memory is failing me.

What is net galley?
Nancy In NJ

NancyK18
Scribbler

Lily Cigar

Post by NancyK18 » Thu April 14th, 2011, 2:49 pm

Off to look for Lily Cigar again - can't believe the price of this book which was written in 1978. As they say - whatever the traffic will bear. If I can't buy it, I'll try borrowing through the library.
Nancy In NJ

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu April 14th, 2011, 3:54 pm

[quote=""NancyK18""]OK - so I am confused but no more I am ordering The Wild Rose, to read from the book. Much as I enjoy reading from my IPAD, I still enjoy a real honest book.

OK - Misfit - Who was featured in the second book - wasn't it the main chracter's brother? Who was Seamie - the fellow she left behind who was the leader of an unsavory bunch of men? Memory is failing me.

What is net galley?[/quote]

The second book is The Winter Rose and the 'winter rose' of the title was India Selwyn Jones. Sid Malone, who was Fiona Finnegan's brother (the 'tea rose'), was India's love interest. I've no idea who the 'wild rose' will be - I'm assuming it will be a female - a rose? - perhaps Seamie's love interest, Willa. Wasn't she an explorer/climber??
Last edited by Vanessa on Thu April 14th, 2011, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu April 14th, 2011, 4:14 pm

[quote=""Vanessa""]The second book is The Winter Rose and the 'winter rose' of the title was India Selwyn Jones. Sid Malone, who was Fiona Finnegan's brother (the 'tea rose'), was India's love interest. I've no idea who the 'wild rose' will be - I'm assuming it will be a female - a rose? - perhaps Seamie's love interest, Willa. Wasn't she an explorer/climber??[/quote]

That's right Vanessa. I don't recall where I heard it, but my understanding was the the last book would be Seamie's story, and his love interest was the climber. Something happened when they climbed Kilamanjaro that should make for lots of emotional drama, but it would be too spoilerish to mention in a general thread. IIRC Seamie was Fiona's youngest brother?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu April 14th, 2011, 4:18 pm

[quote=""NancyK18""]Off to look for Lily Cigar again - can't believe the price of this book which was written in 1978. As they say - whatever the traffic will bear. If I can't buy it, I'll try borrowing through the library.[/quote]

Lol, Karla and I are just scratching our heads at the stampede we started with that little find of hers. It really was a very good book and worth hunting down. There were a bunch when we started at $.29 and up and then they started flying out the door. I love big fat sagas set in old California.

What is net galley?
http://netgalley.com/

I know several bloggers who have been getting ebooks from them. I'm new to kindle and just signed up.

Return to “By Author”