Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Carolly Erickson

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Carolly Erickson

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue November 4th, 2008, 4:39 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I started The Tsarina's Daughter by Carrolly Erickson this morning, although I've got a sneaking feeling that it's going to be hitting the wall very soon. Someone want to tell me what a "historical entertainment" novel is? That's what this book is being referred to on the book jacket.[/quote]

I remember in the one on Josephine there was an afterword where Erickson explained away some of the wild liberties she was taking with fact by describing her novel as a "historical entertainment." Whatever she chose to call it, I couldn't finish it.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Tue November 4th, 2008, 4:42 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I remember in the one on Josephine there was an afterword where Erickson explained away some of the wild liberties she was taking with fact by describing her novel as a "historical entertainment." Whatever she chose to call it, I couldn't finish it.[/quote]

Me neither. I thought it was funny that she referred people to her bio of Josephine if they wanted a more factual account of her life. Call me unimpressed.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 4th, 2008, 5:06 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I remember in the one on Josephine there was an afterword where Erickson explained away some of the wild liberties she was taking with fact by describing her novel as a "historical entertainment." Whatever she chose to call it, I couldn't finish it.[/quote]

:D :D Kind of sounds like another author I won't mention....

I was looking at the reader comments at goodreads and it sounds like things get a little weird and maybe kinky when Rasputin enters the picture.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 4th, 2008, 5:10 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]Me neither. I thought it was funny that she referred people to her bio of Josephine if they wanted a more factual account of her life. Call me unimpressed.[/quote]

Maybe we need to start a new thread. Why on earth do authors who purport to be historical authors make such "hay" with history and rewrite it? Isn't the real stuff interesting enough? Do they just need an excuse for juicy over the top sex scenes?

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Tue November 4th, 2008, 5:13 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I remember in the one on Josephine[/quote]

I ordered that from amazon the other day, I thought it looked like an interesting read and I enjoyed her other on Antoinette but tell me truely is it that bad?

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Tue November 4th, 2008, 5:36 pm

[quote=""nona""]I ordered that from amazon the other day, I thought it looked like an interesting read and I enjoyed her other on Antoinette but tell me truely is it that bad?[/quote]

Well, I thought it was. My main problem with it was that I found her Josephine to be a truly repulsive character, disloyal, meretricious in her relationships, and out purely for her own advancement, with nothing to recommend her besides good looks. That could have worked if she had been presented as a character you "love to hate," but the author seemed to want the reader to admire her, which I found impossible.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Wed November 5th, 2008, 3:34 am

is Tsarina the same? it's on my tbr stack

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed November 5th, 2008, 3:43 am

Josephine was horrible. As I said before it should have been titled the secret sex life of Josephine

I enjoyed the Tsarina's Daughter. Only because I went in with the tude that this is a "what if" type of story and I went along for the ride. If you are looking for historical detail to the T you won't enjoy it. If you want to be carried off and think hey maybe..lets dream thsi could have happened then I think you will enjoy it.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 5th, 2008, 1:14 pm

I've put Tsarina down twice now, but I was distracted watching the tube last night. I read on one of the Amazon reviews that things get a little weird with Rasputin, and then there's some bit about her mother and Freud?

Nona, any author I've not yet read nor a book I'm not 99% sure I'll love and/or one I only want to read once I go for the library. If they don't have it I shoot for an ILL. I've been quite lucky, it's usually only the self published books they can't get for me. Saves a ton of $$$ and easier to throw it against the wall :p

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Wed November 5th, 2008, 1:41 pm

Is it possible that some disappointing books written by prolific HF writers are really done by anonymous ghosters in part or all because of pressures from publishers to get another book out or else readers will forget about the author and select new favorites?

I was invited by a 3rd party to do same for Irving Stone back in 1969, but my request to have my novel published as part of payment was rejected without Stone or the 3rd party reading it. I was called arrogant when I refused.

A good friend claims to know a lady in Key West who did that sort of thing for Sidney Sheldon in his later years.

And there were similar rumors about Michner in his later years as well.

Think of the time historical research takes, the amount of time before electronic typewriters and PCs it took to type a first draft, make new drafts, and refine a 600+printed pages novel.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Return to “By Author”