Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Cynthia Harrod-Eagles

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu November 19th, 2009, 12:46 pm

Have given in and ordered The Founding!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Thu January 28th, 2010, 5:16 pm

I just read The Founding, and I much enjoyed it. Not a gushing "Oh, I LOVE this, you MUST read it" but a very solid 4/5. Solid all around, not great, but no real flaws, either. Quick read that flowed well. The fiction family contains believable, mostly likeable characters and the storyline moves at a nice pace. The people and their actions and attitudes fit well with the times. And the storyline itself is very well balanced between life on a local estate and small town (good flavor there) and national events and politics. I will definitely continue the series.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun January 31st, 2010, 10:27 pm

Glad to hear this, Sharz. I've been curious about this series. It's hard to find in the U.S., but it looks like Sourcebooks is going to start publishing U.S. editions this year.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Anita Davison
Scribbler

The Founding

Post by Anita Davison » Sun February 7th, 2010, 9:19 pm

I have been asked by Sourcebooks to review The Founding as they are re-printing the series in the US. This first book in the series will be released in April 2010/

The copy that arrived is, from what I can see, the original version with all the unfashionable head-hopping, passive voice and author intrusion. That isn't a criticism either as I enjoyed the story as much as I did the first time round, and understood the Wars of the Roses better too.
Anita Davison
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out ~ Unknown

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat June 5th, 2010, 7:35 am

SO, now that I've plunked down the money, and have the first book, and the second on order in the new reprints, does there exist a listing of all the books in the proper order?

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat June 5th, 2010, 12:05 pm

Here's a listing on Fantastic Fiction. CHE's site is under reconstruction at the moment.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat June 5th, 2010, 12:08 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]SO, now that I've plunked down the money, and have the first book, and the second on order in the new reprints, does there exist a listing of all the books in the proper order?[/quote]

This might help, http://www.goodreads.com/author/list/13 ... rod_Eagles

I'm about 70 or so pages into her Kirov trilogy and plan to hit it hard this weekend.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat June 5th, 2010, 3:25 pm

Thank you very much, Vanessa and Misfit! This is just what I was looking for.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri July 9th, 2010, 12:09 am

Anyone read this one? Apparently it is memoir style and the reviews are a bit mixed.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Dani
Scribbler

Just Started this Series!

Post by Dani » Mon August 2nd, 2010, 9:13 pm

I just started this series and finished the Founding last night and started Dark Rose So far my favorites are Eleanore.
I found the family drama so fascinating its almost liek beinga nosey neighbor "listening" to thier converstaions.

Return to “By Author”