Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Dinah Lampitt AKA Deryn Lake

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Dinah Lampitt AKA Deryn Lake

Post by Misfit » Sat March 28th, 2015, 9:47 pm

Has anyone read her historicals? I've been trolling the Kindle books today and found someinteresting titles available through KU under the Deryn Lake name, and it took some GR sleuthing to realize these were older titles published under the Dinal Lampitt name. I feel like a kid in the candy store, some look very intriguing.

At the Amazon link above, does the dress on the cover of To Sleep no More look like the red dress from the girl with the pendant?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat March 28th, 2015, 10:39 pm

Looks interesting, and the covers are pretty. Although to anyone who is trying to pick the era by the styles, very confusing!

Except in that much-used blue print dress--they actually put it in the late 1700's, where it belongs.

I am amazed.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat March 28th, 2015, 10:46 pm

I don't recognize the red dress, but the style says middle Europe late 1500, and the story is Edward III -- 1300. Sutton Place has a dress the could be anything from 1700 to 1800 (skipping the regency period) but the story is set 1000. :eek:
The King's women, circa the French Revolution, but the story is set late 1300s.

Cover artists aren't paid to research the story.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat March 28th, 2015, 11:24 pm

[quote=""MLE (Emily Cotton)""]I don't recognize the red dress, but the style says middle Europe late 1500, and the story is Edward III -- 1300. Sutton Place has a dress the could be anything from 1700 to 1800 (skipping the regency period) but the story is set 1000. :eek:
The King's women, circa the French Revolution, but the story is set late 1300s.

Cover artists aren't paid to research the story.[/quote]

I think the red dress has been seen in the dejavu thread, but I haven't looked at it and the others side by side yet.

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Sun March 29th, 2015, 3:52 am

I have a few of her books but I haven't read them yet! Glad I can get the rest on Kindle anyway.

I have Pour the Dark Wine and Sutton Place IIRC.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun March 29th, 2015, 11:57 am

I read The Silver Swan years ago and enjoyed it, not great literature but enjoyable. I have Sutton Place and several of her Rawlings books on tbr piles.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun March 29th, 2015, 5:10 pm

They sound pretty good, and it looks like a couple are time slips. I downloaded As Shadows Haunting. Also have a couple of Emma Drummond titles borrowed from KU.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue March 31st, 2015, 3:32 am

The King's Women is set around the story of Joan of Arc- a rollicking, entertaining read, but outrageously OTT.
Last edited by annis on Tue March 31st, 2015, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Tue March 31st, 2015, 2:05 pm

Annis, which is the king referred to in the title?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun April 5th, 2015, 9:10 am

The king in question is Charles VII of France, and the women of the title are some of those who play significant parts in his life, like his mother, Isabeau, his mother-in-law, Yolande of Aragon, Joan of Arc, Agnes Sorel and so on.

Return to “By Author”