Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Harold Lamb

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Harold Lamb

Post by Kveto from Prague » Fri September 26th, 2008, 9:47 pm

does anybody know if some of Harold Lambs stuff will be re-issued anytime soon. Id really love to get my hands on anything hes written.

thnx

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat September 27th, 2008, 8:46 am

Hi Keny
I only recently discovered Harold Lamb, and was very taken with the quality of his writing. I tracked down a copy of "Durandal" (unfortunately not still in print) enjoyed it and wrote a review of it for Margaret's Historical Novels Info website:
http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Durandal.html
There do seem to be some of his novels currently in print including the "Complete Cossack Adventures" Vols 1-4 and "The Grand Cham"

Back in the 1980s the publisher Donald M. Grant reprinted "Three Palladins" and "Durandal" as a 2 volume set (1. Durandal 2. Sea of Ravens) and I think you can still pick these up around the place.
Try amazon.com and abebooks.com for second-hand copies, though Harold Lamb titles vary a lot in price with some being quite expensive. The original 1931 edition of "Durandal" for example is in the expensive category.

It would be great if more of his writing was re-issued.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

lamb

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat September 27th, 2008, 9:16 am

[quote=""annis""]Hi Keny
I only recently discovered Harold Lamb, and was very taken with the quality of his writing. I tracked down a copy of "Durandal" (unfortunately not still in print) enjoyed it and wrote a review of it for Margaret's Historical Novels Info website:
http://www.HistoricalNovels.info/Durandal.html
There do seem to be some of his novels currently in print including the "Complete Cossack Adventures" Vols 1-4 and "The Grand Cham"

Back in the 1980s the publisher Donald M. Grant reprinted "Three Palladins" and "Durandal" as a 2 volume set (1. Durandal 2. Sea of Ravens) and I think you can still pick these up around the place.
Try amazon.com and abebooks.com for second-hand copies, though Harold Lamb titles vary a lot in price with some being quite expensive. The original 1931 edition of "Durandal" for example is in the expensive category.

It would be great if more of his writing was re-issued.[/quote]

thanks for the info, annis. ill look for the grant reprints. I had heard that a plan is in the works of re-issueing Lambs short stories in a compolation title by Bison. the same publisher who released "lord of samarcand" by robert howard. im hoping its soon.

good reading to you

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat September 27th, 2008, 10:36 pm

Keny- I forgot to say that the books I mentioned as being currently in print have been published by Bison Books, so hopefully they may reprint more of Harold Lamb's work in the future.

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Sun September 28th, 2008, 6:07 am

The Cossack stories are great fun!
Anyway, I don't know about reprints, but copies of his 1970s paperback printings aren't hard to come by.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue December 2nd, 2008, 8:26 pm

can anyone direct me to a site that lists harold lambs collections in book form? ive been trying to research it on the internet but am running in circles. the old "curved sabre" website seems to be finished.

Id like to try some of his stuff but id also like to see whats available to choose from.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
keny

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 6:30 am

The Wikipedia entry on Harold Lamb has lists of his books (without plot summaries) and links to other Harold Lamb sites. A few of Lamb's novels are listed in appropriate sections by time/place of setting at http://www.HistoricalNovels.info, but I haven't got them all up yet.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 4:41 pm

There's a bit about Harold Lamb and his books here as well.

I've just been reading a non-fiction Lamb title, "Hannibal; One Man Against Rome", and really enjoyed it-- his non-fiction writing is as entertaining as his fiction.

It's a pity about the "Curved Sabre" website. I gather that it's been inactive for quite some time now. I guess the person who set it up was no longer willing or able to maintain it for some reason.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 6:19 pm

cheers. ive found that i can get copies of the cossak novels sent here. but i cant find any info on the contents. there are about four of them (the wolf of the steppes, riders of the steppes, etc) all subtitled the complete cossack tales. does anybody have copies of these or can direct me to where i can find whats contained in them?

cheers again

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed December 3rd, 2008, 7:25 pm

There's a bit of a synopsis of the Cossack adventures on the Powells Books website. The Cossack stories are among the Harold Lamb books which have been reissued in recent times.
https://www.powells.com/s?header=Search ... arold+lamb

Return to “By Author”