Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Harold Lamb

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat July 24th, 2010, 12:33 pm

[quote=""chuck""]As much as I dislike E-Books...maybe this is an opportunity to get those hard to find copies of H. Lamb; transferred to electronic books.....would love see the Durandal and the rest of his collection...That also goes for some of Frank Yerby novels....[/quote]

true. the best option would be to reissue the trilogy but from what i remember taking to Howard Jones that didnt seem an option at the moment.

Its starting to feel like a quest. Ill read those books someday, somehow....

:-)

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Thu March 14th, 2013, 12:52 pm

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu March 14th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Funny, Keny, I just came across this review the other day :) It's a good one, too. Durandal is quite hard to review without giving away too many of its twists and turns. It's a shame that the third part of the Donald M. Grant Durandal trilogy was never published- a while ago a tentative publication date of 2010 for Rusadan was floated, but it never happened, and perhaps never will now Donald Grant has died. I gather that Howard Jones would have liked to reprint Durandal in its entirety as part of the Bison collection, but Donald M. Grant had the rights to it, so that couldn't happen either. Hard for readers to get the whole story because the 1931 edition is hard to find and very expensive.
Last edited by annis on Fri March 15th, 2013, 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu March 14th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Pardon my ignorance, but does anyone know how you pronounce Durandal? I've often wondered whether the English and French stress different syllables.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri March 15th, 2013, 1:08 am

Not too sure, Ludmilla - mentally I pronounce it English fashion as dewrindell but the French would probably be more like dourahndahl. Dour, btw, is as the Scots say it - something like doo-er. Maybe we should make that dooerr to compensate for the French rolled "r" :) I know the word is more commonly spelt in French as "Durendal". Perhaps it became "Durandal" because the French "e" in this case is pronounced "ah"?

Edit: Just thinking how tricky it is discussing pronunciation when there are differences in the way American and English speakers pronounce words to start with! For example when I say "dew", I pronounce it "dyou" (as in "jew" with a "d" instead of a "j") while an American might say "doo". I wrote "dour" (which I pronounce in the Scottish way) before I had the thought that other readers might pronounce it "dower".
Last edited by annis on Fri March 15th, 2013, 9:58 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun November 30th, 2014, 9:13 pm

I know this was a question from ages ago, but:

https://www.howtopronounce.com/french/durendal/

and in Italian (the language of Orlando Innamorato and Furioso)

https://www.howtopronounce.com/italian/durendal/

Return to “By Author”