Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Harold Lamb

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Mon June 29th, 2009, 10:56 pm

just some further info on the forthcoming books

Four more volumes will follow by Spring of 2010 -- two are slated for Spring of 2009. These are Swords From the West, a collection of Harold Lamb's thrilling Crusader stories, Swords From the Desert, a set of novellas and short stories with Arabian heroes, Swords From the East, a collection brimming with adventures set deep in Mongolia and high Asia, and Swords From the Sea, a grab bag of stories set on or near the ocean, including two novellas of John Paul Jones, eight Viking yarns, and a short novel of America's war against the Barbary pirates.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun August 30th, 2009, 8:06 am

bumping this old thread up for jack

Jack
Reader

Post by Jack » Mon August 31st, 2009, 7:38 pm

Thanks, Kenny,
Did you ever get an answer about the order of reading the Cossack Tales?
Jack

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Mon August 31st, 2009, 7:56 pm

[quote=""Jack""]Thanks, Kenny,
Did you ever get an answer about the order of reading the Cossack Tales?
Jack[/quote]

Hi Jack,

Actually, nope, but i went ahead and bought the second volume (it was the one most available). As the stories were originally from magazines they are not serial in nature, so each stands on its own (although you wonder how they could pack so many adventures into such a short time)

I reckon ill read the other three at some point, but i think ill try to get "Swords of the west" first since thats really up my alley.

enjoy them.

Keny

Jonathan
Scribbler

Durandal

Post by Jonathan » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 1:24 am

I have just finished reading "Durandal" and "Sea of Ravens" by Harold Lamb. Thanks to Annis and Keny for getting me started on those. I see there has been discussion on the third book of that series called "Rusudan". Can anyone give me a plot summary of this volume, I'm curious what happens to Sir Hugh after his encounter with the Mongols, does he remain in the Middle East?
By the way, I really enjoyed them.

I'm also interested in his John Paul Jones stories, are they collected anywhere?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 4:22 am

Be warned: this could prove a major spoiler for anyone who doesn't want to know how Durandal finishes!

Sir Hugh is captured by the Mongol outriders of Genghis Khan's army and impresses Genghis' great general, Subotai . Hugh joins the Mongols and becomes a companion. While on an embassy for Subotai to the Georgians he is taken prisoner by them, and meets Rusudan, a fierce and beautiful Georgian princess. (There really was a Rusudan, who became Queen of Georgia) He witnesses the destruction of Georgian, Armenian and Circassian forces at the hands of the Mongols during a battle in the Kur Valley. There are more devious Byzantines involved, but Sir Hugh eventually gets his revenge and the girl, who is no shrinking violet, btw. Where he goes after that is not stated. We're pretty sure that he becomes Rusudan's consort and stays in Georgia, but who knows where else his path might take him?

Howard Jones says on his Curved Saber website: "Bison has recently printed two new volumes: Swords From the West, a collection of Harold Lamb's thrilling Crusader stories, and Swords From the Desert, a set of novellas and short stories with Arabian heroes. 2010 will bring us Swords From the East, a collection brimming with adventures set deep in Mongolia and high Asia, and Swords From the Sea, a grab bag of stories set on or near the ocean, including two novellas of John Paul Jones, eight Viking yarns, and a short novel of America's war against the Barbary pirates."
Last edited by annis on Thu September 3rd, 2009, 5:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jack
Reader

Post by Jack » Fri September 4th, 2009, 6:39 pm

[quote=""Jonathan""]I have just finished reading "Durandal" and "Sea of Ravens" by Harold Lamb. Thanks to Annis and Keny for getting me started on those. I see there has been discussion on the third book of that series called "Rusudan". Can anyone give me a plot summary of this volume, I'm curious what happens to Sir Hugh after his encounter with the Mongols, does he remain in the Middle East?
By the way, I really enjoyed them.

I'm also interested in his John Paul Jones stories, are they collected anywhere?[/quote]

Jonathan,
Lawrenced Schoonover wrote a book on JPJ. The title escapes me right now
and I didn't read it, but his other works are fantastic. This one has been recommended to me by several people.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sat October 3rd, 2009, 9:45 am

just got "swords of the west" in the post. im chuffed!

Marc
Scribbler

Post by Marc » Tue December 15th, 2009, 1:06 pm

Fortunately, I have gone through the Cossack Stories and they are great.I am trying to read more of Harold Lamb.
I am the author of Parmethia

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Fri January 15th, 2010, 9:54 pm

[quote=""Marc""]Fortunately, I have gone through the Cossack Stories and they are great.I am trying to read more of Harold Lamb.[/quote]

youd probably like robert E howards crusader tales (in the collection "lord of Samarkand" ). he and Lamb had very similar styles.

Return to “By Author”