Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Stephen Lawhead

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu September 25th, 2008, 4:48 am

Interesting point about the acceptability of the concept of trinity amongst the Celts, Margaret. The trinity symbol is prevalent in Celtic imagery- I'm thinking of the triskelion knot, for example. Traditionally in Celtic paganism the trinity knot was seen as a drawing of the three aspects of female power: Mother, Crone, and Maiden.

The three women who take Arthur away could fit in with this concept of the Celtic trinity .

The trinity also often symbolises three sisters, such as
The three Moirae in Greek mythology
The three Parcae in Roman mythology
The three Norns in Norse mythology

A more metaphysical understanding sees the symbol as standing for mind, body and spirit.

It might not have been too much of a jump to transfer to the early Christian understanding of the trinity as symbolising as the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In fact it's possible that the trinity was "appropriated" by Christianity to make Christian philosophies fit into already existing ideas and patterns of worship, as were festivals like Easter and Christmas.

Melvyn Bragg's novel "Credo" aka "The Sword and the Miracle" is a good read about the early Church in Ireland and Britain, and through the story of the main character, Breda, features the struggle between Pagan and Christian, and Celtic Christianity against Roman Catholicism.
Last edited by annis on Thu September 25th, 2008, 4:56 am, edited 5 times in total.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu September 25th, 2008, 7:07 pm

Well stated, Annis. Except that I gave up halfway through Credo/The Sword and the Miracle - alas, I found it meandering and sleep-inducing.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri September 26th, 2008, 5:54 am

Oh dear! I quite enjoyed it, though I did get a bit frustrated at times with Breda's determined and life-denying march toward holy martyrdom.

Maybe you'd find Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma series set in seventh century Ireland less soporific?
Fidelma is an Irish nun of aristocratic background, who is a dálaigh ( a combination judge/detective) to the Brehon Court of Ireland.
They are historical mysteries so there's a new case to solve with each book.

javagirl
Reader

Post by javagirl » Sun November 8th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Byzantium is the only one I've read but I really loved it and can imagine reading it again some day.

Return to “By Author”