Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rafael Sabatini

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu December 2nd, 2010, 7:33 pm

I think I posted this somewhere else. but it might be handy here- it's a timeline of Sabatini novels, giving a brief description of the historical settings for his books and the historical figures featured.
http://denenberg.com/sabatini/timeline.html
Definitely more swashbuckling than serious, but well-based in history. Some of the lesser-known novels aren't quite as gripping- I read Love at Arms a while ago and didn't find it particularly compelling.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu December 2nd, 2010, 9:32 pm

I think the reason I enjoyed Love-at-Arms was that it occurred at the beginning of a reading binge of several of his more swashbuckly novels. I had heard some of his early works weren't nearly as good or as polished, so I went into it not expecting much from it and came out pleasantly surprised. It's definitely not one of his best, but I enjoyed it. It suited my mood at the time.

The website dedicated to Sabatini's works has a great article on Sabatini's knowledge of fencing and how well it shows in his novels. The article also includes an excerpt of The Marquis of Carabas, which gives you a taste of his style.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Thu May 29th, 2014, 6:31 pm

Just started reading my first Sabatini novel. I'm hooked. He sure can write a compelling beginning. good stuff.

Return to “By Author”