Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Emma Drummond / Elizabeth Darrell

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Emma Drummond / Elizabeth Darrell

Post by Misfit » Thu October 28th, 2010, 4:41 pm

This author was mentioned by EC and Michy over at comments on the Zemindar review and I thought I'd start a thread here. I'm intrigued, as her settings seem to be India, Russia, Crimean War and more. I've got two on hold at the library so I'll let you know. Anyone else read her books?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri October 29th, 2010, 3:17 am

Read the Emma Drummond books a zillion years ago, but not the Emma Darrell ones :) There is a trilogy which follows the fortunes of the Ashleigh family (see lIst at FF) and various other standalone novels. Two of my favourites (as I recall) were That Sweet and Savage Land and Beyond All Frontiers, set in British India.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 29th, 2010, 2:20 pm

[quote=""annis""]Read the Emma Drummond books a zillion years ago, but not the Emma Darrell ones :) There is a trilogy which follows the fortunes of the Ashleigh family (see lIst at FF) and various other standalone novels. Two of my favourites (as I recall) were That Sweet and Savage Land and Beyond All Frontiers, set in British India.[/quote]

Thanks Annis. I have a hold at the lib for Beyond all Frontiers and one other. They do have the trilogy as well.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri October 29th, 2010, 2:57 pm

As I recall, Beyond All Frontiers was the one I liked best. That's probably a good one to start with. I recall enjoying Bridge of a Hundred Dragons, also -- it's set in Shanghai in the 1920s.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun November 7th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Just finished Beyond all Frontiers last night. Loved it, and ready to try more. Review here.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun November 7th, 2010, 5:53 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, Misfit.

Thought I might just add the list of ED novels from the British Empire site as the synopses are quite useful. It can be quite hard sometimes to find out the details of these older books:
http://www.britishempire.co.uk/library/drummond.htm

Edited to say that Andrew Macallan wrote quite a good historical adventure featuring the retreat from Kabul, called Fanfare:
Fighting for his country, Ben develops the Fanfare - a weapon that makes his fortune and dramatically changes the face of the war. Again and again his path crosses with Mary Jane's. Their lives are frequently at risk, but their courage and resourcefulness help them to survive until they are reunited on a dangerous journey to the heart of Afghanistan.

There's another novel lurking at the back of my mind as well, can't remember the title, though it might be best forgotten - I recall that it was rather Alan Savage-ish and featured a beautiful, wicked maharani with sadistic tendencies who seduces both the hero and the heroine and tortures her maids for fun!
Last edited by annis on Sun November 7th, 2010, 6:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 9th, 2010, 10:19 pm

Annis, I hope you don't recall that Savage-ish book. I don't think I want to be tempted ;)

Finished Forget the Glory. Another winner, and I loved the female perspective in this. Review here.

I've got Scarlet Shadows coming via PBS in the next week or so. That one has Constantinople and Balaclava (sp?) as the backdrop.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed November 10th, 2010, 12:19 am

I don't think I ever read Scarlet Shadows. Hmmm, maybe I'll give it a try.....

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 10th, 2010, 12:40 am

[quote=""Michy""]I don't think I ever read Scarlet Shadows. Hmmm, maybe I'll give it a try.....[/quote]

I am so glad you and EC mentioned her or I might never have found it, thank you. Stirred up a lot of interest over at Goodreads amongst my friends. This really is what I like to see in a book. A good strong historical setting, real people and a good love story that isn't filled with gratuitous sex.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Wed November 10th, 2010, 1:55 am

I am so glad you like her. :) :) Actually, I mentioned her several months ago -- it was on one of the other threads here, you were asking for books set in the Crimea. Although at that time I couldn't remember the title (it was Forget the Glory) so my post was not very helpful or memorable! I like the same things in a book, which is why I pretty much stick to old stuff.......

Return to “By Author”