Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Emma Drummond / Elizabeth Darrell

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 10th, 2010, 2:28 am

[quote=""Michy""]I am so glad you like her. :) :) Actually, I mentioned her several months ago -- it was on one of the other threads here, you were asking for books set in the Crimea. Although at that time I couldn't remember the title (it was Forget the Glory) so my post was not very helpful or memorable! I like the same things in a book, which is why I pretty much stick to old stuff.......[/quote]

It probably went right over my feeble brain ;) :o

I agree, these older books are a treasure trove and worth mining for the best nuggets of gold. Good writing, good strong characters, sex behind closed doors (well, most of the time) and no authors to tick off with a critical review. What's not to love?
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue November 16th, 2010, 7:17 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I don't think I ever read Scarlet Shadows. Hmmm, maybe I'll give it a try.....[/quote]

Have about 100 pages left and really enjoying it. Heroine's married to a pompous ass and is in love with his brother (actually foster brother) and they all head off to Crimea. MC and brother are members of the Light Brigade. Oh my, that was terrifying. Also deals with the bad medical condtitions in general, and specifically at Scutari.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun February 27th, 2011, 7:22 am

Since you enjoyed Emma Drummond so much, Misfit, I decided to give her a try again; it was about 10 years ago that I read her books. I just read The Burning Land and all I can say is -- wow. She really is a good writer, and I finished the book in record time because I could hardly put it down. Bittersweet books with conflicted characters seem to be her hallmark (and always set against a backdrop of war), and those are the types of books I most like. In this case, though, I wasn't entirely happy with the ending; although, I really don't think a good ending was possible. When two equally good women love the same man, someone has to lose........

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 27th, 2011, 1:26 pm

[quote=""Michy""]Since you enjoyed Emma Drummond so much, Misfit, I decided to give her a try again; it was about 10 years ago that I read her books. I just read The Burning Land and all I can say is -- wow. She really is a good writer, and I finished the book in record time because I could hardly put it down. Bittersweet books with conflicted characters seem to be her hallmark (and always set against a backdrop of war), and those are the types of books I most like. In this case, though, I wasn't entirely happy with the ending; although, I really don't think a good ending was possible. When two equally good women love the same man, someone has to lose........[/quote]

Isn't she good? And I think I knocked Burning Land down to 3.5 (can't recall exactly why), but yes that was some seriously rough going stuff there. I wanted both of them to get the guy as well.

Try and get a hold of Forget the Glory, I think you'd like that as well and you should have no problems with ILL. Scarlet Shadows is very good, but I don't think many US libraries have a copy and the swap sites are out (I think I got the last one ;) )

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sun February 27th, 2011, 9:53 pm

I read Forget the Glory several years ago; that was my introduction to the Crimean War and the Charge of the Light Brigade. I also read Bridge of a Thousand Dragons and Beyond all Frontiers. Can't remember if I read any others..... :confused:

What I like best about her books is that the plots are completely unpredictable. In The Burning Land, it wasn't until the very last page that I knew how it was all going to turn out for all three.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun February 27th, 2011, 10:09 pm

She really does keep you on the edge of your seat, I'll give her that. What was interesting in Bridge of a Thousand Dragons was the similarity of her MC's history to that of The Gathering Wolves under the Elizabeth Darrell name. I almost thought I was reading a sequel for a while.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Mon February 28th, 2011, 5:35 pm

I was disappointed in The Burning Land with the way she ended the storyline of the woman who didn't get Alex. It felt so inconclusive, like she just had to hurry and come up with a short and sweet ending. Oh, well. :o The book was still really, really good.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon February 28th, 2011, 7:18 pm

[quote=""Michy""]I was disappointed in The Burning Land with the way she ended the storyline of the woman who didn't get Alex. It felt so inconclusive, like she just had to hurry and come up with a short and sweet ending. Oh, well. :o The book was still really, really good.[/quote]

*sniff*

I wanted them both to get Alex, but you know that can't happen...

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Sat March 5th, 2011, 4:23 pm

[quote=""Misfit""] Scarlet Shadows is very good, but I don't think many US libraries have a copy and the swap sites are out (I think I got the last one ;) )[/quote] She seems to be popular on swap sites -- when I posted my copy of The Burning Land somebody snapped it right up. Hopefully Scarlet Shadows will become available sooner or later. I seem to have pretty good luck at getting books on my wish list at PBS - less success with Bookmooch.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat March 5th, 2011, 4:43 pm

[quote=""Michy""]She seems to be popular on swap sites -- when I posted my copy of The Burning Land somebody snapped it right up. Hopefully Scarlet Shadows will become available sooner or later. I seem to have pretty good luck at getting books on my wish list at PBS - less success with Bookmooch.[/quote]

I started talking about Drummond over at the HF boards at PBS and I think a lot of them starting WL'ing them rather heavily after that. I'm keeping my copy.

BTW, the HF discussions there are a lot of fun, and some commenters that pretty much stay there so I like to drop in.

Return to “By Author”