Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Rebecca Gablé

annis
Bibliomaniac

Rebecca Gablé

Post by annis » Wed July 7th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Does anyone know if any of German author Rebecca Gablé's historical novels have ever been available in English translation? They sound really interesting but my knowledge of German is very rudimentary, and certainly not up to tackling a novel :)

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed July 7th, 2010, 6:26 pm

Her website doesn't list any English translations:

http://www.gable.de/html/e-Gable-Translated-Novels.php
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed July 7th, 2010, 8:07 pm

I wish they were. A while back Gabriele Campbell recommended her as one of the better German historical novelists. I had serious historical novel/translation envy when I was in Germany last October (I could make out the settings but not much else). Historical novels had their own section in bookstores. *sigh*

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed July 7th, 2010, 8:14 pm

I couldn't see any listed anywhere, but was hopeful that I might have missed something--

We just recently got some of her books in the library (we always stock some German-language books as we have a high percentage of German immigrants in our area) and I'm looking in frustration at a copy of Der König der purpurnen Stadt (which I can work out is The King of the Purple City) It's set in London, 1330, and appears to be a story about the rise of the merchant class and conflict with old nobility. Although written from the POV of a young weaver who rises to prominence it also features Edward III and Philippa of Hainault.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed July 7th, 2010, 8:21 pm

That sounds really interesting, one I'd want to read if I could! If you really want to drive yourself crazy, search for Historische Romane in Amazon.de and have the results translated into English. They don't seem as obsessed about royalty as readers are here, so there were plenty of novels about the merchant classes in medieval England and Europe.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu July 8th, 2010, 3:02 am

I've noticed before that there seems to e quite a taste for HF amongst German readers. Oh, the frustration of knowing there are all those great novels out there that are off-limits due to the language factor :( There are quite a few French historical novels I'd like to read as well. Mind you, I can't even keep up with the ones written in English--

Rissa
Scribbler

Post by Rissa » Thu September 22nd, 2011, 9:24 pm

I know this is an old thread, but Rebecca Gablé just said that her first historical novel, "Das Lächeln der Fortuna", will be published as "Lady Fortune's Smile" in May 2013. I can't tell you if in England or America, but at least there will be an English translation.
The novel is set in 14th century and covers nearly 30 years. Main character is the (fictive) boy Robin of Waringham who lost everything, castle, land and his name because his father had died as a traitor...

The next two Waringham-novels who's main characters are Robin's son and grandson are scheduled to be translated as well, Mrs Gablé said something about 2014 and 2015.
The fourth one was just released in Germany a week ago, but I can imagine that it might be translated as well if the first are successful.

But another novel by her will be released sooner: "The Settlers of Catan" (Nov. 2011) is not a "real" historical novel as there of course is no Catan, but is has historical elements (Vikings, Christianity vs. Paganism), and fans of the board game might enjoy it as a "lighter read".

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu September 22nd, 2011, 9:27 pm

[quote=""Rissa""]I know this is an old thread, but Rebecca Gablé just said that her first historical novel, "Das Lächeln der Fortuna", will be published as "Lady Fortune's Smile" in May 2013. I can't tell you if in England or America, but at least there will be an English translation.
The novel is set in 14th century and covers nearly 30 years. Main character is the (fictive) boy Robin of Waringham who lost everything, castle, land and his name because his father had died as a traitor...

The next two Waringham-novels who's main characters are Robin's son and grandson are scheduled to be translated as well, Mrs Gablé said something about 2014 and 2015.
The fourth one was just released in Germany a week ago, but I can imagine that it might be translated as well if the first are successful.

But another novel by her will be released sooner: "The Settlers of Catan" (Nov. 2011) is not a "real" historical novel as there of course is no Catan, but is has historical elements (Vikings, Christianity vs. Paganism), and fans of the board game might enjoy it as a "lighter read".[/quote]

Thanks, Rissa!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri September 23rd, 2011, 5:59 pm

This is good news - I'll look out for them :)

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Mon November 12th, 2012, 7:57 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]I wish they were. A while back Gabriele Campbell recommended her as one of the better German historical novelists. I had serious historical novel/translation envy when I was in Germany last October (I could make out the settings but not much else). Historical novels had their own section in bookstores. *sigh*[/quote]

Though not all those German historical fiction books are good. There is a whole bunch that should rather belong in the Romance section - more like characters in costumes, girls dressed up as boys, midwives accused of withcraft several times over (it's a 6 book series by now and judging from the cover blurb the 6th version of book 1 ;) ) and this nonsense about female popes. Somehow the Middle Ages are Germany's Scottish laird with his claymore and the feisty Sassenach lass right now. :D

Return to “By Author”