Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

M.M. Kaye

Michy
Bibliophile

M.M. Kaye

Post by Michy » Fri June 25th, 2010, 3:02 pm

I know several people here really like this author. She was one of my faves, too, back in my teens and 20s. I believe I read nearly everything, if not everything, she wrote.

Some of her lesser-known works, which I really enjoyed, were her mysteries. She wrote about six or eight, and they are all titled "Death in ________" with the blank being the name of some exotic locale such as Cyprus, Zanzibar, Kashmir, etc. (all places she had lived, incidentally).

I really enjoyed her mysteries, although a little disclaimer here, that was 20-something years ago, so I don't know if I would still find them all that good now. Back when I read them you could still find them in bookstores, although just barely. But for fans of M.M. Kaye who are interested in reading something a bit different from her epic sagas, it might be worth trying to find them.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Fri June 25th, 2010, 3:28 pm

Michy, I find her most recent works, her autobiographies, the most interesting yet. They are Sun in the Morning, about growing up in India during the last decades of the British Raj. Golden Afternoon covers the English boarding school experience and the return to India, and Enchanted Evening is how she met her husband Geoff Hamilton.

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri June 25th, 2010, 3:57 pm

I've never read those. They sound good.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu March 24th, 2011, 1:32 am

Just spotted this older cover on Amazon and thought I'd share.

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Thu March 24th, 2011, 8:33 am

It's quite nice actually. My copy is this one:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Thu March 24th, 2011, 9:30 am

Ooh I love the older one! The contrast between the colours is striking, I've not seen that one before. I also like yours Vanessa, that's the cover I've seen most often.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu March 24th, 2011, 12:42 pm

[quote=""LoobyG""]Ooh I love the older one! The contrast between the colours is striking, I've not seen that one before. I also like yours Vanessa, that's the cover I've seen most often.[/quote]

I like this one a lot as well. I wish more used sellers would take time to upload covers.

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Thu March 24th, 2011, 2:49 pm

doesn't the portrait on the front look like Vivian Leigh in GWTW?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu March 24th, 2011, 3:24 pm

[quote=""MLE""]doesn't the portrait on the front look like Vivian Leigh in GWTW?[/quote]

Yes she does.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Re: M.M. Kaye

Post by Misfit » Thu December 10th, 2015, 2:46 am

Return to “By Author”