Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Mary Lide

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed March 24th, 2010, 9:30 pm

[quote=""annis""]She also wrote under the name Mary Clayton. She was born in Cornwall, England, but moved to the States. I'm sure (but can't find) I saw somewhere that Lomer is her maiden name, and Lide her married name, but don't quote me on that. Why FK was published under both names I'm not sure- UK/US differences again?[/quote]

Just found this bit- maybe Mary Clayton is her real name?

"Mary Clayton was born and brought up in Cornwall, and read History at Oxford University. After university she went to America as a Fulbright English-Speaking Union Fellow to Ann Arbor, Michigan, where she taught in the History Department. She has lived in England, Denmark and Italy, and now divides her time between America and Europe.

As Mary Lide and Mary Lomer, the author has written historical novels and sagas.

Mary Clayton's previous novels featuring ex-Inspector John Reynolds, Pearls Before Swine, Dead Men's Bones, The Prodigal's Return and The Word is Death.."

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed March 24th, 2010, 10:01 pm

[quote=""annis""]Misfit, I see that the Goodreads cover is for the LP edition, so wonder if you'd like my one as well? It's for the Headline p/b ed. pub. 1991
ISBN 0 7472 3693 3

Something about the colouring of this cover makes poor young William appear as a disembodied head :)

This is my cover for "The Hawks of Sedgemont" aka "Royal Quest"
Bk 3 in the "Ann of Cambrai Chronicle" trilogy. This p/b ed. pub. Sphere Books, 1988.
ISBN 0 7221 5561 1

Image[/quote]

I remember both those covers from the library - you are so right about the head! I loved the Hawks of Sedgemont cover -a favourite at the time.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri March 26th, 2010, 12:29 am

I'm about 50 pages into Fortune's Knave and it's not grabbing me yet. I have a feeling this might be a YA book, but still early going. I'm just not getting anything *new* on William and feel like I've been there done that.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat March 27th, 2010, 1:35 am

I'm enjoying "Robert of Normandy", but I haven't read any other novels about Duke Robert, so I haven't got any comparisons to make. It's a historical adventure/romance with quite a bit of historical detail about a period not often covered in fiction.

I still feel that Wingrove's novel about William is the benchmark.

Btw, do you want the Mary Lomer cover for "Fortune's Knave"?

ISBN 0747204896 ( Hardcover ed) London: Headline Books, 1992
Last edited by annis on Sat March 27th, 2010, 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat March 27th, 2010, 1:53 am

Thanks for the cover Annis. We can never get enough of those. I just finished FK's with much skimming. It felt like YA but there were a couple of scenes towards the end, while tame by today's standards, would definitely put in more towards a romance genre.

Honestly, I didn't get anything new from the book then I've read from Anad and Hollick. I do want to try a few more of her books though.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat March 27th, 2010, 3:35 am

Given that she was an academic historian, ML could probably have created novels of much greater depth. I'm guessing that she was steered in the direction of historical fiction with a lighter romance bias as being more marketable. I suspect that the "Ann of Cambrai Chronicle" was probably her best work.

While I'm enjoying "Robert of Normandy", it's not a heavy-weight novel- I'd most likely give it 3 to 3.5 stars if I had to rate it.

Just remembered I have come across Duke Robert in fiction before- he makes a brief appearance in Jack Ludlow's "Mercenaries", the first part in a trilogy about the Norman de Hauteville family.
http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... ies+ludlow
Last edited by annis on Sat March 27th, 2010, 3:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tina
Currently reading: Isobelle
Interest in HF: Searching on Mary Lide to see if she's authored any novels I haven't read.
Favourite HF book: Isobelle
Preferred HF: 14th century

Re: Mary Lide

Post by Tina » Fri June 16th, 2017, 10:44 pm

Without a doubt 1 of the most enjoyable books I've ever read about once every 10 years. Also her trilogy beginning with Ann of Cambray. Was so glad there were 2 more so the story carried on. Wish Isobelle had. I would have loved to follow that story past the ending. Considering Mary Lide's age, I'm sure these treasures will be her legacy.

Return to “By Author”