Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Nigel Tranter

princess
Reader

Post by princess » Thu June 3rd, 2010, 12:59 pm

"Lion Let Loose" (about James I of Scotland) was the first Tranter I read and I absolutely loved it :) I can say the same about "Kenneth" (MacAlpin) too. I agree with the others, considering Scotland's history with England (and vice versa), I don't think his books come across as overly nationalistic.
Currently reading: The Poisoned Pilgrim: A Hangman's Daughter Tale by Oliver Potzsch

BrianPK
Reader

Post by BrianPK » Thu March 10th, 2011, 12:01 am

I've read most of N. Tranters historical novels over the years and have enjoyed all of them.They are not all great but all are very interesting reads.Some are outstanding such as "The Master of Gray " trilogy which I finished a few weeks ago to quickly follow up with "The Wisest Fool" and currently am reading "Poetic Justice".Both of these stories tell of different characters who actually existed and were involved in various intrigues and dealings with King James I. Tranters portraits of Elizabeth I and James I are brilliant.It makes for fascinating reading. No day is complete for me without spending a few hours in N.Tranters world. Discovering him years ago when I first read the thrilling "Bruce" trilogy was the beginning of countless hours of enjoyment.
Last edited by BrianPK on Thu March 10th, 2011, 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “By Author”