Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Christine Trent's "The Queen's Dollmaker"

MLS859
Reader

Christine Trent's "The Queen's Dollmaker"

Post by MLS859 » Fri February 26th, 2010, 2:54 pm

Hi, y'all...haven't posted in a long time...I just started reading "The Queen's Dollmaker" last night and have read about four chapters.

In the prologue, the year is 1765 and the heroine, Claudette, is five years old -- which would have made her born in 1760.

In the first chapter, the year is given as 1781 -- which would make Claudette 21 years old.

But she is referred to as being very young, adolescent -- and, finally, as being 16 years old.

Will someone tell me if I'm not computing correctly?

Thanks.

Lynn (please move this thread if I've posted incorrectly)

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Fri February 26th, 2010, 5:48 pm

I read this novel and enjoyed it. It does go back and forth within Christine's youth, recalling memories.

Christine Trent is making appearances throughout the mid-Atlantic, mostly in Maryland in the coming months. (Scroll down to "Upcoming Events" to see dates)
Last edited by princess garnet on Fri February 26th, 2010, 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri February 26th, 2010, 6:22 pm

Sounds confusing to me Lynn! I wonder if the author had to move the goalposts during various drafts - has happened to me in the past!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

tsjmom
Reader

Post by tsjmom » Sun February 28th, 2010, 11:24 pm

I guess I didn't follow the dates closely enough to really compute their accuracy. I did, however, LOVE this novel!!! Who knew doll making could be so interesting! It had everything I look for in a novel: fast read, action, romance, history, France, and a nice little twist at the end. 5/5 for moi :)

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Mon March 1st, 2010, 12:50 am

Yes, I thought the dates were a bit off, but since this was a DNF for me, I didn't bother too much about it. It was one of a number of things that didn't click, but not the biggest.

Return to “By Author”