Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Stella Riley

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Stella Riley

Postby Misfit » Wed November 4th, 2009, 12:01 pm

Anyone heard of her? A friend at Goodreads recommended A Splendid Defiance, which is set during England's Civil War (the second one). It's grossly expensive used and I've tried for an ILL but I just got a note back that the only library they haven't asked yet wants a $15 handling fee. Would appreciate any input on whether it's worth it.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Wed November 4th, 2009, 1:01 pm

I've heard of her, and bought a couple of her books based on recommendations from British friends, but haven't read them yet, sorry. I just found this website on her that was linked from a page at Smart Bitches. I bet someone on this board has read her, though! That's too bad about the ILL cost, but I took a look, and very few US libraries own copies of anything she's written.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed November 4th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Thanks for that. You have to wonder why those good old HF books are so hard to find and why publishers aren't snapping them up.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Thu November 5th, 2009, 4:22 am

Sounds as if Stella Riley fell victim to the slump in interest in historical fiction from British publishers in the '90s mentioned by EC in relation to Pamela Belle. Maybe if enough people like you mention Stella Riley around the 'net, a publisher might think about taking her work up, though it sounds as if she never actually finished her English Civil War series. Who knows. maybe she still has a script tucked away in a desk somewhere--

It is a pain when books you'd like to get hold of are rare as hen's teeth. I recently wanted a NF book which is only held in NZ by two university libraries who both charge a $15.00 fee. I still went for the interloan because second-hand the book is worth around $100!

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Thu November 5th, 2009, 4:45 am

Between Lindsey Davis, Claire Letemendia, and now Giles Kristian, the English Civil War seems to have become a hot commodity. Maybe it's a good time for some enterprising publisher to consider reissuing both Pamela Belle and Stella Riley. At least one of hers seems to be a standalone.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Postby annis » Thu November 5th, 2009, 7:46 am

Goodness me, is the 17th century the new Tudor? There's also Christie Dickason's book about Elizabeth (The Winter Queen) Stuart called "The King's Daughter", which came out earlier this year, Gillian Bradshaw's "London in Chains" and I saw mention on this forum of a new book by Fiona Mountain called "Lady of the Butterflies", which is set in the post-Civil War period.

I imagine that Giles Krisian's novel would be a military adventure, going by "Blood Eye", which is a Viking tale pretty much in the Robert Low/Bernard Cornwell style and rather good for that sort of story.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Thu November 5th, 2009, 10:29 am

Goodness me, is the 17th century the new Tudor?

That would be a refreshing change, wouldn't it? I did find a copy of A Spledid Defiance on Amazon UK for just a bit more than the ILL fee plus another one quite a bit cheaper - although I'll wait until I get a shipping confirmation that I'll actually get it. It's happened more than once when I find a good price the seller magically can't find the book. It took three tries to get a hold of one of those Savage books without paying an arm and a leg.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Postby Ariadne » Thu November 5th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Lady of the Butterflies has been getting rave reviews. I'd love to see more 17th-century settings. None save the Bradshaw is out in the US yet, but most are forthcoming in 2010.

Hope the cheap copy works out!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Postby Misfit » Wed December 9th, 2009, 5:17 pm

I'm about 150 pages into Garland of Straw and enjoying it a lot. Civil, heroine is Royalist and forced into marrying a Parlimenterian (sp?) soldier and a bastard at that. They hate each other but I see that changing soon. Lots of dry humor and funny moments.

Page 139 on the *cough* wedding night between the unwilling to be married H&H,
“Because, hard though it may be hard for you to accept, I’m not inclined towards rape and have an undoubtedly plebian preference for more than just a body between the sheets. Even, I’m afraid, when the goods on offer are as decorative as you.”

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Garlnd of Straw

Postby Misfit » Tue December 29th, 2009, 2:38 am

Return to “By Author”