Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Elizabeth Goudge

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 7:32 pm

I read the White Witch a long time ago but picked it up in charity shop recently to re-read (if I could remember where I had put it). I have re-arranged the book cases recently and can't find anything.

I seem to remember enjoying it first time round.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu July 22nd, 2010, 8:19 pm

If anyone would like to know more about The White Witch (one of my favourite EG novels), I posted a review on this forum awhile ago here:
http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... php?t=2796

Elizabeth
Avid Reader

Post by Elizabeth » Sun July 25th, 2010, 2:24 pm

I love Elizabeth Goudge--she was one of the great influences on my development as a writer. THE WHITE WITCH is one of my favorite books of all time, and I also love THE SCENT OF WATER, THE ROSEMARY TREE, and PILGRIM'S INN (which is also called THE HERB OF GRACE), in addition to the titles already mentioned. Just her titles are so evocative!

For me she is a mistress of sensuous, mystical description, with so much legend, myth, fairy-tale, and slightly pagan spirituality woven in. I suppose her style could be considered a bit dated in today's world, but as dreamy escapism it's one of my personal favorites.
THE RED LILY CROWN: A Novel of Medici Florence.
THE FLOWER READER.
THE SECOND DUCHESS.

www.elizabethloupas.com

Michy
Bibliophile

Post by Michy » Fri October 29th, 2010, 6:05 pm

I tried The White Witch but didn't get very far -- I think it was just the wrong book at the wrong time for me. I then tried The Scent of Water, but gave up after about 100 pages. I think it is a case of what Annis described as "Helen Steiner Rice"-ness; the book had a strong poetic feel, and I am definitely not at all into poetry. :(

I want to give EG another try -- I think I'll try Green Dolphin Street. I normally don't give an author more than two chances, but in this case I feel like I should. I think maybe I've just picked the wrong books.

Return to “By Author”