Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Alan Savage

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Fri August 14th, 2009, 1:52 am

There are two Eleanor books - the first is Eleanor of Aquitaine, and the sequel is Queen of Love. I bought them both before I knew any better :) Have the Margaret of Anjou and Joanna ones too, actually, but they never made it very far on my TBR list.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 14th, 2009, 12:25 pm

From as far as I've got, you only want to read these for fun. They do seem to be a bit rare in the US, hold on to them you might have a mini gold mine :)

Visiting the Beauforts,
"Equally was it an enormous pleasure to play at blind man's buff with the Beaufort children, laughing as I fell over in a heap with one of the boys, seeking a surreptitious squeeze of his codpiece even as he attemted to get his hand beneath my skirt, while Edmund and his good lady looked on benevolently."
Margaret's thoughts on Isabella,
"because from the loins of that earlier she-wolf, inserted there by who knows whom - for it was well known that Edward II far preferred to dally with male genitals in preference to female"
Now she's preparing to embark on an affair with Suffolk in order to get preggers,
"For if, in marrying Henry, I had gained an acquaintance with sexual matters, it had been like opening a book, the first page of which suggests all manner of future delights, and then having the covers slammed and the book removed from one's grasp before it was possible to proceed. I could not doubt that this man, whom I truly loved more than any other man I had ever met, would know how to turn all the pages...and would wish to do so."
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

zsigandr
Avid Reader

Post by zsigandr » Fri August 14th, 2009, 10:38 pm

Oh my! Those are some of the funniest quotes that I have ever heard! I can see why you are saying that these books are funny. Definitely some 'fluff' in these and light on the historical fact. Sounds like a fun read though!
Andrea

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 14th, 2009, 10:53 pm

[quote=""zsigandr""]Oh my! Those are some of the funniest quotes that I have ever heard! I can see why you are saying that these books are funny. Definitely some 'fluff' in these and light on the historical fact. Sounds like a fun read though![/quote]

Andrea, are you a member of the R3 group at Goodreads? I'll be posting the more salcious ones there. Keep an eye out.

It's really slogging down in the middle. I hate it when the first person narrative starts going on and on and on recounting historical events.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri August 14th, 2009, 11:53 pm

Alan Savage was clearly fascinated by the concept of a powerful, ruthless, and sexually rapacious female :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 15th, 2009, 1:27 am

[quote=""annis""]Alan Savage was clearly fascinated by the concept of a powerful, ruthless, and sexually rapacious female :) [/quote]

:eek: :eek: :eek:

My my my, Margaret and the Queen of Scots :o

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat August 15th, 2009, 2:02 am

[quote=""Misfit""] :eek: :eek: :eek:

My my my, Margaret and the Queen of Scots :o [/quote]

The rolling in front of the fire scene? I thought you'd appreciate that.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 15th, 2009, 2:48 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]The rolling in front of the fire scene? I thought you'd appreciate that.[/quote]

Oh. My. God. WTF is the author thinking and who let that get published?

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat August 15th, 2009, 12:10 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Had to start a new thread so I didn't go OT. I just found he's written a book on Eleanor of Aquitaine and a most hilarious review at Amazon.

:D :D :D :D I must get my hands on this one if the price ever goes down.[/quote]

OMG, you must tell us about it when it arrives! At least from the sounds of it she doesn't have sex with William Marshal - wonder why he got left out? (Have read another novel where she does it in a stable with WM following her morning workout on her exercise bar). Actually Eleanor seems to be a target for a lot of authors going to the loony side. You could add Ariana Franklin and her 'Nelly' moments.
Annis, I have heard of Christopher Nicole, but can't remember what I've read. Sure I have though and I know I've seen books under that title in my library. Will have to check for his Alan Savage name next time I change my books!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 15th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Heh, I knew the books on Eleanor would get EC's attention. I think they're pretty cheap in the UK (I found one for $1 plus postage - and that's cheaper than the prices on my side of the pond). The book with William and Eleanor you mentioned - is that the Ellen Jones book? Or are there more like that?

Return to “By Author”