Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Alan Savage

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat August 15th, 2009, 12:33 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Heh, I knew the books on Eleanor would get EC's attention. I think they're pretty cheap in the UK (I found one for $1 plus postage - and that's cheaper than the prices on my side of the pond). The book with William and Eleanor you mentioned - is that the Ellen Jones book? Or are there more like that?[/quote]

This is it!
http://www.amazon.com/Behold-Marshal-R- ... 1424174597
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 15th, 2009, 1:25 pm

Well thank goodness the library doesn't have it. I might have been tempted :p

Review posted here.
Last edited by Misfit on Sat August 15th, 2009, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat August 15th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Found a cover at Fantastic Fiction,

Image[/QUOTE]

Now I have got the Whitney Houston song 'Queen of the Night' playing in my head.

Like her frock - were they really this revealing? If so, more fun being a medieval queen than I thought.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 20th, 2009, 11:11 pm

Eleanor of Aquitaine just arrived. It's hard back and the covers not cheesy at all. I was hoping to scan it but I'm having issues and may have to wait until I'm back at work next week. I'll provide quotes and updates as I'm reading it - assuming you all would like me to do that.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Thu August 20th, 2009, 11:36 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Eleanor of Aquitaine just arrived. It's hard back and the covers not cheesy at all. I was hoping to scan it but I'm having issues and may have to wait until I'm back at work next week. I'll provide quotes and updates as I'm reading it - assuming you all would like me to do that.[/quote]

Oh please! I can't wait.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu August 20th, 2009, 11:52 pm

A teaser on the front inside page,
"Love was the sole occupation of my life. Sometimes I indulged it unwisely and not too well. But oh, the memories!"

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri August 21st, 2009, 12:17 am

[quote=""Misfit""]A teaser on the front inside page,
[/quote]

Well actually, love wasn't the sole occupation of her life, but marrying two kings, having ten children and ruling the duchy of Aquitaine has obviously just faded into the background...because all the sex she had along the way was that good.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri August 21st, 2009, 12:28 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Eleanor of Aquitaine just arrived. It's hard back and the covers not cheesy at all. I was hoping to scan it but I'm having issues and may have to wait until I'm back at work next week. I'll provide quotes and updates as I'm reading it - assuming you all would like me to do that.[/quote]

Bummer. I wonder what the seller would say if you tried to return it because the cover wasn't cheesy enough :)

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Fri August 21st, 2009, 5:51 am

You guys are tempting me very sorely!
bed with Louis, her uncle Raymond, Saladin (even though he was only 11 when they met), a Greek pirate, the troubadour Bernard of Ventadour (of course, although for awhile I thought he was going to leave him out), and of course both Henry II and his father, Count Geoffrey.... also ... experimenting with her maids, the bath maidens in Constantanople, and even with the Empress Matilda ...
How long is this book? It would seem a challenge to squeeze all of this in!
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Fri August 21st, 2009, 6:06 am

[quote=""Margaret""]
How long is this book? It would seem a challenge to squeeze all of this in![/quote]

But love is the sole occupation of her life...so no doubt everything else has been left out.

Return to “By Author”