Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Alan Savage

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri August 21st, 2009, 11:22 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]I had to go find my copy of Queen of Love after reading all this. There's less romping sex in it, but only because she's married to Henry by then. She does make hilarious declarations, though, like "I would be the last to pretend I am white as the driven snow. Am I not widely regarded as the greatest lover in history"?

And then... oh, no, I'm skimming through the book and found the part where she seduces Rosamund Clifford in her bath.[/quote]

:D :D :D :D

We might need to post a monitor warning for this thread. I just about spewed my dinner on mine over this one. ROFLLMAO.

The first copy of Queen of Love I ordered was cancelled, they didn't have it. I found another one on the cheap at Alibris and keeping my fingers crossed.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 12:03 am

[quote=""Misfit""]We might need to post a monitor warning for this thread. I just about spewed my dinner on mine over this one. ROFLLMAO. [/quote]

Er, sorry about that :D :D

He can't possibly have written this as a serious novel, but the genealogical charts at the beginning are rather impressive looking.

Miss Moppet
Bibliophile

Post by Miss Moppet » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 6:47 am

[quote=""Misfit""]That is the question, isn't it? They look serious enough (of the two I now own), geneology charts, etc. Brian over at Goodreads was thinking perhaps he's writing tongue in cheek. I'd sure like to know. Otherwise, we'll just keep laughing. :p [/quote]

Well, personally, I won't be taking a sip of coffee before I click on this thread. But, do you know, I think he's perfectly serious. I mean I thought that about the tudor vampire book, volcanoes of honey and all. It's just as hard to write a bad book, or a bad scene, as a good one.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 9:42 am

[quote=""Ariadne""]I

And then... oh, no, I'm skimming through the book and found the part where she seduces Rosamund Clifford in her bath.[/quote]

Oh my goodness! I must see if they have this one at my subscription library next week. I know they have Christopher Nicole titles.
Poor Rosamund and Eleanor. Alan Savage having one seduce the other in the bath, and Ariana Franklin having that 'frozen popsicle' moment between them. Talk about defaming the dead!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 11:55 am

But, do you know, I think he's perfectly serious.
I have to say I think he is as well. Take out the sex scenes and the rest of the book seems perfectly serious. If he was trying to be campy he'd be campy throughout, wouldn't he?
and Ariana Franklin having that 'frozen popsicle' moment between them.
I do not want to know.

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 3:15 pm

Maybe he's just trying to live out his sexual fantasies. :)

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat August 22nd, 2009, 5:54 pm

Posted by Tanzanite
Maybe he's just trying to live out his sexual fantasies.
That's what I thought, too- -the ones which features powerful, ruthless, sexually rapacious females :)

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 3:22 pm

Finally got the covers scanned for the two Eleanor books. Don't know when I'll get back to reading them - need to take in small doses :o :)

Look at the dog on the right hand side of Eleanor of Aquitaine. Why it must so obviously be a male dog I cannot figure.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 3:48 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Finally got the covers scanned for the two Eleanor books. Don't know when I'll get back to reading them - need to take in small doses :o :)

Look at the dog on the right hand side of Eleanor of Aquitaine. Why it must so obviously be a male dog I cannot figure.....[/quote]

It certainly seems to be making the dog on the left take notice.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 4:35 pm

The vase the woman on the right is holding is a painted copy of the one Eleanor gave to her first husband on their wedding. It's made of rock crystal and still in existence today.
http://thechapel.files.wordpress.com/20 ... rystal.jpg
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “By Author”